CarboTech 468x60 Banner
DO NOT WANT: Kumho Radial 857 trailer tires
Last Post 20 Aug 2013 11:32 PM by TeamRX8. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Jul 2012 05:45 PM

Do not buy the Kumho Radial 857 trailer tire. Just had my 3rd blowout on the way back from Blytheville several weeks ago. First blowout occurred several months after I bought them. 2nd occurred last Oct. All occurred at interstate speeds. Last two took out the aluminum fenders. It is not a puncture, road debris, or air pressure issue. They just self destruct at speed without warning; blows out, steel belt breaks(!) and the tread face partially separates from the carcass, and the resulting flapping belt tries to tear the trailer apart until you can get stopped. Did a web search and this seems to be a common problem for this tire.

Trailer tires in small diameter wheels sizes seems to be an issue because most are made in the Far East with questionable quality. The original tires on my trailer went all the way to the wear bars without a single puncture or failure, but I can't remember the brand/model. Still have lots of evenly worn tread on these tires, but it will be cheaper in the long run to replace them with something reliable rather than to continue buying replacements and repairing fenders. Not to mention the aggravation factor.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    06 Jul 2012 01:53 PM
    I've had a set on my (well, my former anyway. I just sold it) open trailer for over 15K miles with zero issues and great wear. I don't tow slowly, either. Weird, like it was a bad batch, or maybe I got a good batch?

It was a 15', closed-deck open trailer usually towing a Camaro, but it also had some old cars strapped to it as well as once with a tractor with filled tires (had to push it close to the axle rating of 7K lbs).
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Jul 2012 06:20 PM

I have a similar experience to Brian : very good luck with the 857, over 10s of thousands of miles in the last 3 years on my open 18ft car trailer (San Jose CA to Packwood, SJ to Lincoln, SJ to SoCal). I run 60-65 PSI in them. Mostly tow in low 60s MPH in CA/OR/WA, but once I clear Sparks headed east on I-80 the cruise pretty much goes straight to 77 MPH :)

Now the Made in China Marathons on the other hand....yeah, those tires suck!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Jul 2012 12:41 AM
    I always set to 85 lbs cold and never had a problem. Those were the 225 Goodyear made in USA though.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jul 2012 09:43 AM
    My experience with Trailer Tires has varied from brand to brand. I was pretty high on Goodyear marathons until I lost 3 in 2 weeks, just over 2 years old and covered. Then another experienced autoxer that has towed for years told me to just go to SUV tires of appropriate load rating. I put some Yokohamas on that matched his. Here's why: He said,"I had the same problems with trailer tires you had, they didn't last long and I had multiple blowouts etc. Then I put on these Yokohama SUV tires 6 years ago and never had a problem. I just replaced them because I figured 6 years is good enough" Sold. Apparently trailer tires are allowed to have a 7% failure rate whereas passenger car tires must be less than 1%. Oh and the Yokes were $5 cheaper each!

--
    10 Jul 2012 09:55 AM

I have a number of years in the tire industry. In my experience, the Goodyear Marathon had one of the highest failure rates. The Greenball "Towmaster" had one of the lowest failure rates. YMMV. Also, I prefer to err on the high side in regards to tire pressures. The odds of having a blowout are much greater from running pressures a little too low than a little too high.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Jul 2012 12:56 PM
    Mark, I've had great luck with maxxis radials.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Aug 2012 11:03 PM
    I replaced the Kumho Radial 857s with Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires. I heard good things about these and the Maxxis. The first thing I noticed is the Carlisles run much (a lot) cooler than the Kumhos ever did. I always run my trailer tires at the max pressure rating and this supposedly minimizes flex and helps them run cooler. Despite this the (load D) Kumhos were always very hot at gas stops following several hours of continuous towing. The lower max rating (Load C) Carlisle tires are barely warm to the touch under the same conditions (just towed Dallas, TX to Farmington, NM, then to Toledo, OH, and then back to Dallas in 90 - 100+degF day temps).

I put a lot of miles on the Kumhos and despite them wearing extremely well and the remaining tires still having lots of tread I just felt they couldn't be trusted any more. The loaded trailer only weighs 4200# and the combined load rating of the Kumhos was 8800#. I never had any problems prior to using the Kumho tires on this trailer. It is also stored indoors except when towing and they are balanced. Maybe it was just circumstance, but others have had issues

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/to...a-weekend/

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/to...-85720514/

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/to...kumho-857/

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/to...exploding/

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...post289275

We will see what happens with the Carlsile tires.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    06 Aug 2012 03:19 AM
    Well, if the tires were hot, they weren't happy. Good luck with the Carlisles. If they stay cool, they'll do their job.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Aug 2012 08:54 PM

I have a 16' open trailer. I started out with tow master bias ply's and they were great. 8 years of service with close to 20k miles and no issues, changed because they wore out. 2nd set was Goodyear marathon radials and picked up roughly .75 mpg towing. 6 years of service with very little mileage (maybe 4k miles, started a family so not many long hauls) and they are being replaced this week because one of them separated. 6 year is decent, but they are not rotted, so these are just crappy tires that came apart after 4k miles. Going back to tow master, but their radials. If the tow master radials have issues, I'm going to try and find a truck tire that will work or go back to the bias ply's

Phil K.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    07 Aug 2012 10:43 PM
    the Michelin website indicated a 205/75-14 Agilis, which is a Load D tire intended for commercial vans. I couldn't find it anywhere so I called Michelin and found out that this size was still in development and had not been released yet. It was really the tire I wanted. Tirerack carries it in a 205/65-15 size so some people may be able to use it. Not cheap, but you can't beat Michelin quality and lifespan IMO.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Aug 2013 11:32 PM
    now that I'm on the Carlisle tires the failure issue has not occurred again. So even if you believe there's an issue with my trailer, driving style, etc. it's clear to me they are superior to the Kumhos if only in durability and ability to take abuse. They really seem to be a much more rugged heavy-duty tire, which is all I ever wanted.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Rugged Radio 88 Sunoco 88x31 Button
    PetrolaData_88x31 saferacer
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button Race-Technology
    CarboTech 88x31 Button HoosierTire88x31
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button UltraRev 88x31
    Traqmate 88x31 Button Apex Detail Button
    Hyperfuels 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner