Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ratt_finkel
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
27 Jan 2010 06:16 PM

<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I'm looking at purchasing a 02-04 ish F250 4dr turbo diesel. Most of the examples I've looked at have about 100-150k on the clock. I've also found some in my price range with 3"-12" lifts on them.

This will be my 1st truck and primarily used as my dd. But will be towing a 5k lb trailer twice a month.

Question is, what should I lookout for and what if any complications are there in towing with a lifted truck.
    Scoob
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Jan 2010 01:20 PM

I'll refer you to the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums, http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php. Everything you wanted to know about towing with lifts can be found on there.

Me? I bought a RWD Excursion diesel that sits lower than my old Expedition 4WD and I expect it to tow much better.

Chris Raglin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Jan 2010 04:35 PM

Nothing gets better for towing when you lift a truck. It's more a question of how much worse did it get. Typically, the taller the lift, the softer the springs, which is bad. Not only does lifting raise the CG a lot, and typically doesn't raise the roll centers, but it also messes with some of the braking dynamics when you add a normal height trailer. With the trailer pushing significantly below the tow vehicle's CG, you can get some wierd reactions. I'd keep looking for a stock height truck.

-Chris

EWCMR2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Jan 2010 06:32 PM

ratt_finkel wrote:
    <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Question is, what should I lookout for and what if any complications are there in towing with a lifted truck.

I see lifted trucks towing toyboxes all the time in SoCal, usually upside down in the median...

Dave Hardy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Jan 2010 06:00 AM

On the one hand, lifting a truck will hurt the towing dynamics. On the other hand, you're talking about only 5K pounds with a truck that should be good for twice that or more, so you aren't really pushing it. My gut feeling is that it would be fine, but unless you want the lift, I'd prefer a stock height one.

I've thought about going the other way. I can't help but think my truck would be way cooler dropped about 6" on some 20" rims. But that would mean spending money that would otherwise go to the racecar, so instead it rolls stock.

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Jan 2010 03:49 PM
    EWCMR2 wrote:

ratt_finkel wrote:
    <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Question is, what should I lookout for and what if any complications are there in towing with a lifted truck.

I see lifted trucks towing toyboxes all the time in SoCal, usually upside down in the median...

Ha, ha!
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Jan 2010 03:51 PM
    Scoob wrote:

I'll refer you to the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums, http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php. Everything you wanted to know about towing with lifts can be found on there.

Me? I bought a RWD Excursion diesel that sits lower than my old Expedition 4WD and I expect it to tow much better.

I had an '04 Excursion towing my Z06 in a 20' enclosed. It towed wonderfully! All I added was a big Hellwig rear bar and Airlift system.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner