G-LOC Brakes
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 27 Aug 2013 02:50 AM by  atcovan
2005 Taurus "neutraled out" Hey, Steve Hoelscher, what do you think?
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
atcovan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
28 Sep 2012 05:41 PM
    Calling Mr. Steve Hoelscher ! While cruising down the freeway, the transmission lost it's pump drive and went into neutral. No warning, or sounds at all. I could have been entering the freeway and been smashed by a truck! The Ford mechanic said it was the spline drive for the pump which had stripped, sent shrapnel through the circuit and I needed a reman unit. So, after $3500 and a warrantee, and some research online, I am worried this problem hasn't been addressed and am wondering if the reman has upgrades to prevent this from happening again. I can't get a straight answer from anyone, so I hope Steve has some experience with these transmissions.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Sep 2012 08:48 PM

Jim, I had a 1997 1/2 ton Chevy Express van. I was simply driving to a gym one day, there has a strange clank/clunk noise, I thought "WTF was THAT" and continued on. When I left the gym, there was no reverse, (rolled backward out of the parking space!) and when I was driving away I noticed I had no second gear. Apparently a common problem, as a spline had snapped off a clutch basket. Well out of warranty, but the builder put in all uprated baskets and all was good. If the dealership did you gearbox, you got OEM parts. Guess what? You keep towing and it will sooner or later be deja vu. OR, if you weren't towing, it may have been "one of those things". Google search it for more info about common problems.

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Sep 2012 02:21 AM
    Hi Bob, apparently this is a really common defect Ford won't own up to on 04-05 Taurus, Sable and one of their minivans. The reman transmission came from somewhere in Utah, so who knows what the hell's going on. I just feel like it can go out at any time and wonder if it's time to be rid of the car. I actually like it a lot, but it's the lack of confidence which makes me worry. BTW I wasn't towing at the time, but I use this car for my airport car service and have a small trailer for oversized luggage.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Sep 2012 09:07 AM
    Ford is loathe to EVER admit problems. My 92 Club Wagon was the WORST vehicle I ever owned. The brake, fuel pump, and transmission problems were commonly known but were consistently met with "we haven't seen much of that at all" from Ford despite dealers KNOWING they were common as mice. Solved my problem with a 97 Chevy van. Same lying about problems has led to a class action settlement on their diesels (post Navistar). Now, the 2011-12 6 speed ATs in their diesel trucks are proving to be made of glass. Same denials, lots of service bulletins, pissed off owners and dealers.That said, a "good" Ford is VERY good. But a "bad" is REALLY bad. Sell the Taurus, buy a Hyundai sedan!!!!!!!! They are bullet proof. these days. BTW, if you want a real treat, try a low mileage (under 150K miles - seriously) later model E46 BMW sedan. Rather inexpensive and not expensive to keep going. Have been generating some income working on 3 Series Bimmers in the E30, 36, and 46 ranges. Decently maintained, they are incredible.
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 Oct 2012 12:31 PM
    Hi Jim,

Sorry I am late to the party, haven't been on here much recently as I have been so busy. I don't have a lot of experience with the '05+ Taurus transmissions but do know them.

The spline drive for the pump is a small, steel, splined, shaft (about the size of a #2 pencil) that runs from the torque converter housing to the inside pump gear. All Ford domestic FWD automatics have one but they are not a "common" failure. They do fail but I wouldn't characterize it as problematic. Of course, if the pump shaft strips its splines, the pump stops turning and the car stops moving, instantly. The transmission MUST have pump pressure for the transmission to work at all. Although, I doubt any shrapnel from the pump shaft stripping. Most likely, there was some other hard failure that sent shrapnel through the pump and that's what caused the shaft to strip.

Reman transmissions are only as good as the remanufacturer. Aaron's Automotive Group is who supplies the Ford Dealer chain with remans and they are quality units. They have plants throughout the US and do both engines and transmissions. It should have a warranty from one to three years depending on the supplier.

As a general rule, Taurus's are excellent cars. I have had several and liked them all. They are comfortable, quiet, efficient and reliable sedans. If I needed that functionality right now, I would buy another tomorrow. Drivelines and transmissions in particular are not problematic. The 1st gen, late '80s, Taurus (the original AXOD automatic) was problematic. It was Ford's first full size FWD automatic and not computer controlled. These got better with each revision and by the mid 90s were as reliable as anything.

Bob, your '92 Clubwagon probably had an AOD in it. These were non-electronic 4 speed overdrive transmissions and were not well suited to large vehicles and towing. Its successor, the AODE/4R70W was one of the best transmissions ever.
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 Oct 2012 06:13 PM
    Thanks a lot, Bob and Steve for your replies. The dealer sold me on a Ford reman with 3-year 100k miles warranty, so I feel better. The car is really nice and get's good mpg. Just hope I can get a couple more years out of it, as I drive approx 50k per year. PS The trans issues came in at 135k miles, so I shouldn't be too alarmed. Also, I installed a big Hayden cooler and Amsoil fluid. I plan to do filter/fluid changes each 25k.
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 Oct 2012 09:37 PM
    Regular fluid changes and a good external cooler are very good ideas. I had four different Tauri (?) between '95 and 2005. The '95 model was a 3.8 I bought new and I loved the car. I used it primarily for business and I drove it for about 130K miles (3 years) before selling it to a neighbor who still owned it (and loved it) when I moved in '05. My next was a '97, 3.0. While it was the base pushrod motor and didn't have the torque of the 3.8, it was a far better car. I bought it from the local Ford dealer w/ 20K miles and drove it for several years to commute to work.

In '01, I bought a '99 (another 3.0 pushrod) from a local Ford dealer that I did transmission work for. It had been in several times for warranty transmission work and the dealer finally took it in trade with another trans failure. I couldn't pass up the offered price as it was in excellent condition. I did the transmission and then found a bad electronic component that had been causing the failures and fixed the car. This one became my driver and the '97 became a spare which I kept for a while before selling to good friend. They used it for several years with no trouble before selling it to a family member who was driving it when I moved to Florida in '05. I kept the '99 as a long distance traveler and big four seater to supplement the two seater. I bought the car with about 30K on it and sold it in '09 with 225K on it after the A/C compressor failed. The first person to look at it paid my asking price 15 minutes after they arrived.

The fourth was an '02, I think. Another Ford dealer trade in. The customer had it towed to my shop after running over something on the road that bent the transmission sump up against the filter and cut off the filter inlet. It fried the transmission in about 20 miles. They had us pull the transmission and give them a price, then, before telling us to fix it, called and said they just traded it at the Ford dealer. I bought it while it sat on my lift without a transmission. I fixed it and sold it for KBB a few months later. I had originally considered I would keep it and sell my '99 but decided the '99 suited my needs and the '02 would bring a nice profit.

I put well over 100K miles on three different Taurus, all with no major issues and most with no minor issues. My '97 got an alternator, a power window motor and a radiator, along with regular service and that was pretty much it. And that was as it neared 200K. I should have put a set of struts on it but I kept telling myself I was going to sell it but never got around to it until the A/C compressor went. I already had my Mazda by then and didn't need the car and fixing the A/C wasn't worth the trouble to keep the car.
    djsilver
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Aug 2013 01:26 AM
    Years ago we bought a used early 90's Taurus wagon with a V6. I bought it w/95k and it already had a reman transmission in it. I bought a 5,000 mile warranty, (which was good) because the motor gave up at 98k. I changed transmission fluid & filter every 30k and it was still going strong at 198k when my son laid it to rest. I don't care what the manufacturers say; if I have a vehicle with an auto, it gets fluid & filter every 30k.
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Aug 2013 02:50 AM
    The car has about 20k miles since the reman trans and it still works great.  I have a big cooler and will change the fluid and filter every 25k.  One thing I noticed right away, was the shifting is smoother and I wonder if to prevent another failure, the tech lowered the line pressure a bit to take some load off that spline drive to the pump.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner