Site Prospects
 18 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Max Weinberg

--
23 Feb 2010 12:59 PM

I don't think I'm in the minority when I say driving 2 hours each way to run is getting a little old. If anyone knows of some pavement that we can get our hands on for any given Sunday put some info here. I know there is alot that goes into site selection, size, cost, and legal issues being the biggest problems, but there are a few parts that seem nebulous. If someone wants to lay out some ground rules be my guest. I can volunteer myself if we need a friendly face to shake some hands, do some prospecting, and talk our way into a place.

Alot has changed over the years (we have a bulletin board now!) We might want to try some sites we've lost again too.

Let the hunt begin.

Ron M

--
    23 Feb 2010 01:44 PM
    We are still working on Greyhound Park in Waterloo. We are waiting to see if the windmill company leaves or not. That's one of the reasons we don't have a full schedule yet. Mike H is the guy to talk to about events
    Eman911

--
    23 Feb 2010 07:24 PM
    Has anyone spoken to the folks at Westdale Mall recently? Lots of empty pavement there last time I drove by. Another place we used in the past was the IC airport. I know the management was changed recently, don't know if security would be an issue.
    Max Weinberg

--
    24 Feb 2010 10:02 AM

I spoke with some people last year at the IC airport and got the current contact info. I can stop by again. As I recall the difficulty last time was the multiple board meeting that needed to be attended and a change in FAA regulations. We may be better off working with the people who rent tarmac space. Theoretically we could have a similar setup to the Great River region when they run at the Army air reserve station in Davenport.

I also spoke to the rangers at Coralville lake. We would need to apply for the permit and justify the safety of the event to their officers. They would also prefer we ran earlier or later in the season to not block the boat ramps during boating season. I might even be possible to get the entire parking area by the dam or the spillway.

Does anyone know anyone at Kirkwood in Iowa City or MidAmerican energy? Kirkwood has a large lot behind the IC Campus that they use for MSF courses. It's not as large as Greyhound but there is a divided area that can be used for paddock/parking. It is also rather secluded hidden behind the building with no real neighbors. Midamerican energy's lot attaches to it and is larger but they also have deep corporate pockets and the legal departments to protect them.

Eman911

--
    24 Feb 2010 05:48 PM
    If getting approval from the airport folks in IC only requires attending a couple of meetings I'm willing to sit in. I LOVE meetings! Although I am not yet (or is it again? or currently?) a member. I also may have some contacts with the folks that rent space. I'll put some feelers out. I can'y help you with MidAmerica or Kirkwood but I'll see if I can find someone to contact. Were there any issues that drove us away from Kirkwood CR (no pun intended)?
    mholzi@aol.com
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Feb 2010 09:39 PM

We are working on sites. We are waiting to see if we will get Waterloo back. That won't happen until June. Right now this is our tentitve schedule:

April 25th- Newton

May 16- Osky Dual event with DMVR (we are working on a challenge with them)

May 30th- Mt. Joy (Iowa Challenge)

July 11th- Osky

Aug 1st- Osky

Then 2 events at Hawkeye Downs on the track,1 or 2 at Marshalltown,and maybe a second one at Newton. All those depends on if we get Waterloo back.

We looked at the kirkwood lot in IC last year and that is too small and too many houses around it. Westdale would be awesome but it is broken up in too many spots. The IC airport might be a option.

Eman911

--
    26 Feb 2010 07:06 AM
    Westdale is broken up in spots? Come on! Broken pavement didn't stop the NASCAR boys at Daytona...............![8-)]
    DM75

--
    26 Feb 2010 01:35 PM

I drove through Westdale in the fall B.S. (before snow). It was in REALLY bad shape. The last time we ran there it was rough. Now it is really rough and broken up. Kirkwood would be great to get back into. We couldn't run there anymore after they redid the rear lots. At that time we couldn't run on the front lots because of the guy that lived at the edge of the lot. I will see if I can find out if that status is changed. I am on the Auto Tech advisory council. there is a meeting in March. I will see what I can find out.

Jeff E.

Max Weinberg

--
    26 Feb 2010 07:04 PM

Any thoughts on the Coralville lake main lot?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&...h&z=16

If we can talk our way into using more than the south end lot it looks to be plenty of space and last time I drove there it was in really good shape. The drive there is kinda fun too.

alanhigh

--
    28 Feb 2010 08:54 AM
    Max Weinberg wrote:

Any thoughts on the Coralville lake main lot?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&...h&z=16

If we can talk our way into using more than the south end lot it looks to be plenty of space and last time I drove there it was in really good shape. The drive there is kinda fun too.

That would be an awesome place.

Ron M

--
    01 Mar 2010 02:54 PM

Snapped a quick picture of Greyhound Park

SCCAForums Image

Max Weinberg

--
    04 Mar 2010 02:06 PM
    SNOWCROSS!!!!
    NDGeist

--
    08 Mar 2010 08:58 AM

I dunno... 70 miles to newton/osky, or 65 miles to waterloo, both seem like about the same level of pain for you in Iowa city. :)

That said, i'd love to autoX in Cedar rapids more this year, waterloo is fun too.

Just got some Direzza's for the DD wheels, clicked on the Tire rack banner and everything... Wish I would have known about the banner before I bought my R-compounds last week.. :(

-Chip

Ron M

--
    08 Mar 2010 10:38 AM

Thanks a lot chip [;)]

We will be racing on the race track at Hawkeye Downs this year.

mholzi@aol.com
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Mar 2010 01:32 PM

Here is our updated schedule, it will be up on the website soon.

April 25th - Iowa Speedway, Newton
    May 16th - Osky (dual event with DMVR)
    May 30th - Mt. Joy (Iowa Challenge)
    June 20th - Hawkeye Downs
    July 11th - Osky
    Aug 1st - Osky
    Aug 15th - Hawkeye Downs
    Sept 26th - Iowa Speedway, Newton
    Oct 17th - Marshalltown go Kart track
    2superblus
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Mar 2010 03:21 PM
    Ant pics of Iowa Speedway where you guys autocross?
    mholzi@aol.com
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    crturboguy

--
    12 Mar 2010 09:15 AM

The pre-registration links are up on the website. Enjoy!

--JOsh

mholzi@aol.com
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 Mar 2010 07:44 PM
    Thanks Josh for all your help. Mike
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner