Vorshlag 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 12 Apr 2013 02:36 PM by  Daniils
Tires - wider=better?
 27 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Daniils
New Member
New Member
Posts:14


--
20 Nov 2012 01:36 AM

    For autox the wider the tire the better? Is there a point at which wider tire becomes detrimental to handling?


    I have a 97 JDM Subaru WRX STI. (its like usdm 2.5 rs with ej20 turbo motor), making about 350hp at the crank. I currently have 205/55/16 RE-11 and lacking grip. So I was planning on getting wider set of tires, rims, and fender flares over the winter.

    305/35/18 toyo proxes r888 on 18x10 rim.

    Thoughts?

    Andy Hollis
    Senior Member
    Senior Member
    Posts:6197


    --
    20 Nov 2012 06:49 AM
    If you want more grip and don't care about classing (flares, r-comps), then look no further than Hoosier A6. Put the biggest ones that fit your fenderwells and rims, without screwing up your gearing (outside diameter).

    If you care about classing (or some other criteria like longevity), the approach changes so as to optimize within that. If so, tell us what class/criteria.
    Daniils
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:14


    --
    20 Nov 2012 09:12 AM

    Classing doesn't matter to me. Longevity does matter, I am dual driving the car with my girlfriend and we race just about every weekend. So I would like for the tires to last 1 season. Thank you.

    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Posts:2862


    --
    20 Nov 2012 09:23 AM
    If you are racing a lot, and daily driving on the same tires, with THAT much power your quest may be doomed. You may have to look at a second set of tires/rims. Andy I right about A6s, but don't forget BGFs as they have rolled out a very good product in the super sticky world of R-comps.
    Daniils
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:14


    --
    20 Nov 2012 09:55 AM
    I don't daily this car, I drive to event on the weekend and thats it. I don't mind changing tires when I get there either.
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Posts:525


    --
    20 Nov 2012 10:04 AM
    If you race every weekend and co-drive with your GF, either you will run through multiple sets of r-comps or have to be slow as hell at which point your tires may last. If you stay in STX, you may be able to squeeze an entire season out of some Dunlops or RS3's but would be width limited to STX rules.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Posts:2862


    --
    20 Nov 2012 10:11 AM
    Z3papa wrote:
    If you race every weekend and co-drive with your GF, either you will run through multiple sets of r-comps or have to be slow as hell at which point your tires may last. If you stay in STX, you may be able to squeeze an entire season out of some Dunlops or RS3's but would be width limited to STX rules.

    BUT, can't run those monster tires listed in the first post. If the OP uses a spare set of rims, Star Specs may work well, but if Tours and Nats are on his schedule, fresh rubber may be needed anyway.

    sirele
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Posts:161


    --
    20 Nov 2012 10:55 AM

    He said he has a '97 JDM Subaru WRX STI, making about 350 hp at the crank. Please check the rule book where such a vehicle will be classed.

    Assuming this will be in SM or worse, I second Andy's advise of fitting the widest wheels and tires, of the stickiest grade that will fit under the fender flares and do not negatively affect the gear ratios. And from there pray that the transmission will keep it together.

    If you're concerned about tire life you will have to make a decision somewhere between the RE 11 (good for 180+ runs) you currently run and the A6, which you may get 60 runs with. Good Luck.

    edfishjr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Posts:283


    --
    20 Nov 2012 12:29 PM
    Look on E-bay for used A6's in the size you think you might want. This can significantly lower your per-run cost if you don't mind the performance hit. Used A6's will still be a lot better at getting all that power down than streets which will make racing the car a lot more fun and less an exercise in throttle control.
    cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Posts:966


    --
    20 Nov 2012 01:11 PM
    Also check out www.jbracingtires.net, one of many places that sells used racing tires.
    Daniils
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:14


    --
    20 Nov 2012 01:16 PM
    I'm in SSM. But I couldn't care less which class I'm in, I just like to go out and have fun. I have hardened jdm tranny in my car so I think it can take the tires. My clutch and my cv shafts are new as well.
    85rx-7gsl-se
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Posts:282


    --
    20 Nov 2012 01:18 PM
    Why is your car in SSM instead of SM?
    Daniils
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:14


    --
    20 Nov 2012 02:03 PM
    Don't ask me... I've asked the local club president and that's where they put me. Probably because my car is right hand drive and was never available for sale in North America.
    85rx-7gsl-se
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Posts:282


    --
    20 Nov 2012 02:58 PM
    SSM/SM is divided based on whether a car is a 2 seat (And some limited 4-seat) sports car (SSM) or not (SM).
    mlane350z
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Posts:238


    --
    20 Nov 2012 05:32 PM
    A 305 R888 on a 10" wheel won't be great. I'd opt for a 275 or 285.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Posts:2862


    --
    20 Nov 2012 08:37 PM
    cashmo wrote:
    Also check out www.jbracingtires.net, one of many places that sells used racing tires.

    Used to be a good source. Been there, worked well for a while .............. and then not so much. Not just me, others in the KCR had the same experience. On line, that is as far as I will go. PM if you like. Hint - ask Craig Wilcox !!

    Daniils
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:14


    --
    21 Nov 2012 12:55 PM
    Thanks for all the replies, very insightful. I think in going to hold off on getting r compound tire and just go with street tire for now. I need 2xx/35/18 tire on a 18x10 rim. So the choices are 265 re-11 or 275 bfgoodrich g-force? Or would you guys recommend something else? Thank you.
    PDM
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:36


    --
    21 Nov 2012 09:45 PM
    85rx-7gsl-se wrote:
    SSM/SM is divided based on whether a car is a 2 seat (And some limited 4-seat) sports car (SSM) or not (SM).

    correct, BUT SCCA does not recognize RHD JDM vehicles on a National level in any DOT tire class. (ultimately likely Mod class with US Rules) RHD Skylines and 180's and STi's are not eligible for Street Mod.

    We are more lax with respect to RHD cars here in B.C. and lump them into SM and SSM based on their respective North American cousin.

    Daniil, you and Mireille should likely be in SM locally (not sure why Derek moved you to SSM, but I think he meant Street Mod in general as you were classed at event 5.

    If you are not prepared to run Hoosiers, and you intend to drive to events, then you are likely left with the next stickiest solution for Pitt Meadows with the R888 which has good adhesion, good sizing, and can be street driven as some of the local racers do drive to the events on them - but nowhere near as fast as us on A6's. Your combination of 4 wheel drive and if you put a big enough tire under your car - I think you can get away with 275 or under for width. (your car is not making anywhere near as much power as my SM 240, or Andre's supercharged M3 - and we are on 285 sized tires with 2wd. I've seen 305 and 315's on all corners on STi's before in SM, but they also were making in excess of 500 whp.

    Try to focus on seat time and consistancy first (and making sure you keep your car quiet - it's currently borderline this summer for noise and possibly may not pass next year if you are making more stick (allowing for more throttle) before worrying too much about maximizing wheel/tire/fender mods.

    cheers..

    Daniils
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:14


    --
    21 Nov 2012 11:36 PM
    PDM wrote:
    85rx-7gsl-se wrote:
    SSM/SM is divided based on whether a car is a 2 seat (And some limited 4-seat) sports car (SSM) or not (SM).

    correct, BUT SCCA does not recognize RHD JDM vehicles on a National level in any DOT tire class. (ultimately likely Mod class with US Rules) RHD Skylines and 180's and STi's are not eligible for Street Mod.

    We are more lax with respect to RHD cars here in B.C. and lump them into SM and SSM based on their respective North American cousin.

    Daniil, you and Mireille should likely be in SM locally (not sure why Derek moved you to SSM, but I think he meant Street Mod in general as you were classed at event 5.

    If you are not prepared to run Hoosiers, and you intend to drive to events, then you are likely left with the next stickiest solution for Pitt Meadows with the R888 which has good adhesion, good sizing, and can be street driven as some of the local racers do drive to the events on them - but nowhere near as fast as us on A6's. Your combination of 4 wheel drive and if you put a big enough tire under your car - I think you can get away with 275 or under for width. (your car is not making anywhere near as much power as my SM 240, or Andre's supercharged M3 - and we are on 285 sized tires with 2wd. I've seen 305 and 315's on all corners on STi's before in SM, but they also were making in excess of 500 whp.

    Try to focus on seat time and consistancy first (and making sure you keep your car quiet - it's currently borderline this summer for noise and possibly may not pass next year if you are making more stick (allowing for more throttle) before worrying too much about maximizing wheel/tire/fender mods.

    cheers..

    Hi. Don Nimi I presume? Still using your tips and tricks from AutoX 101, good times. And here you're helping me again, thanks very much.

    I'm attending every local AutoX event, UBC Slush Series currently and can't wait for more events in the summer/spring with vcmc. However I'm parking the subie after December 2 event and doing some major work on it. We'll still be attending the rest of Slush series but in a different car while I'm working on the subie. Like you say, seat time is very important.

    I will be addressing the exhaust this winter. What do you use on your SM 240? I'm still shopping for a quiet one.

    PDM
    New Member
    New Member
    Posts:36


    --
    22 Nov 2012 10:51 PM

    Good stuff !!....get as much seat time as you can withstand even though the slush series is quite wet. (been busy the last 2 so I haven't been out)

    I use Coast Fab mufflers, a dual stage and a single inline to hit 92dB or quieter at Pitt Meadows (run just the dual stage for SCCA and rarely hit over 96 dB)

    Not cheap, but fully rebuildable and my US based exhaust system weighs under 4.9 lbs. Most exhaust systems out there for turbo cars are not rebuildable and will only get noisier over time. Benefit of a pure race exhaust is both weight savings, plus cheap rebuild cost. Jacques also runs a Coast Fab in his blue SM BMW, and I will run one in my new BMW I just got.

    don

    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>


    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

    Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

    SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

    Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank




    Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner