What Tire Should I Run Now???
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BeerMan

--
08 Jan 2013 08:43 PM

So now that Goodyear has eliminated the R250 compound, I'm unsure what I should do for my XP C4 Vette. I’m looking for input from some of you guys who may be a whole lot more experienced with the tire choices in the Prepared & Modified classes. Here’s our package:

C4 Vette @ 2,400lbs without driver, built for XP. We will run a few concrete events, but mostly sealed asphalt. We always run 2 drivers.

We were planning to run the Goodyear 25.0x13.0-16 Bias Ply in the R250 compound. Since that tire has obviously been nixed, my choices seem to be:

1/ Switch to the Goodyear – same size, but use the harder 430 compound instead.

2/ Switch the Hoosier Tire – same size in the R35A compound.

I have talked to one longtime CP friend who said he would easily favor the harder Goodyear over the softer Hoosier. He said the Goodyear will take a little longer (1 lap for each driver) to come up to operating temp, but will then have just as much grip as the softer Goodyear did, and certainly more than the Hoosier. I value his opinion, but am worried about the harder tires on a car that’s 300lb lighter than a CP car, especially on asphalt. Should I expect to have a problem in cooler weather (early & late season) getting the tires to work?

Anybody here agree/disagree?? Do you maybe have an alternate solution??

I appreciate any guidance you have to offer.

Thanks,

BeerMan

fzust
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Jan 2013 09:42 PM
    Hoosier is probably your better bet in this case. With only 3 runs it would seem a tough sell to me to throw away 2 of them.
    BeerMan

--
    08 Jan 2013 09:59 PM
    fzust wrote:
    Hoosier is probably your better bet in this case. With only 3 runs it would seem a tough sell to me to throw away 2 of them.

Thanks Fred. Although to clarify, we would just be throwing away 1 of 3 runs (1 for each driver) assuming that they actually DO get up to temp that fast.

I also remember reading in another thread that the Hoosiers wear alot faster than the Goodyear. We don't run a ton of events (10-11 locals + 2-3 Nat'l Tours) at this point, so I was hoping to run the season with 2 sets of Goodyears. Would I likely end up needing to buy more than 2 sets of Hoosiers if we went that way (assuming all else equal)?

BeerMan

gbeaird

--
    15 Jan 2013 12:11 PM

You can probably expect about 30 good laps on the Hoosiers. Probably a few more on sealed asphalt, and with a lighter car than a CP ride. As the tires get past about 30 runs, though, the grip starts to drop off fairly quickly, more quickly than the Goodyears with the same number of runs. We're getting close to 50 runs with our car on Hoosier bias ply slicks, but we're running in an underprepared CP car and just regionally at this point in time, mostly on sealed asphalt.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearland, Texas

BeerMan

--
    15 Jan 2013 12:14 PM

Well, since it looks like Goodyear is out of the picture anyway, it looks like we'll need to go with Fred's suggestion by default. But before we pull the trigger on the Hoosiers:

1/ Are any of you running the harder compound R45B in hotter weather?

2/ Is it reasonable to to even look at the harder compound at all for AutoX?

3/ What about Avon Tires? I see they list both 12.5x25.0-16 & 13.5x25.0-16, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone run Avon on a larger car. Are these tires worth trying?

Thanks,

BeerMan

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Jan 2013 12:36 PM

My EM car is pretty similar to your XP car, a bit lighter at 2300#.

I have trouble getting my R35 Hoosiers (25x13x16 front and 27x14x16 back) up to temp on cooler days or slicker surfaces. If you beat on them really, really, really hard on concrete in August with two drivers, you could probably overheat them, but I don't remember having to spray them on this car. If they made an R25 in the GT1 sizes, I would switch in a minute.

I ran CP for 9 years before building the EM car. I tried the R45's there and they were OK only if you had two drivers, but you gave up the first run or two. With the extra weight, you could overheat the R35's, but spraying kept them fine. You could actually wear the R45's out to cord, they just took a little longer to heat up as the runs piled on. The R35 (on both cars) pretty much turns to stone after 50-60 runs and is so hard that it seems to just stop wearing and the car is really bad.

I think Bob Ely in Colorado tried the Avons on his CP car..they were apparently amazing for about 1 run and they overheated and turned to grease. That may be perfect for our lighter cars, but Avon availability is a PITA and they are pricey.

I think with Goodyear pulling out, the Hoosier bias tires will never get any more development, at least not any that costs any money, there is just not a market there for Hoosier. That means that we are looking at the radial GT-1 tires which are hella expensive and also need a lot of work to be any good for autocross.

If my car didn't have Wide 5 and could accommodate a less than 27" tall tire on the back, I would be sorely tempted to try an A6.

DaveW

rely

--
    16 Jan 2013 12:43 PM
    avon racing slicks have made my autocross experience quite enjoyable. roger kraus tires has been very helpful. avon makes several different compounds. their a11 is quite soft, and in hot weather will get greasy during one run with one driver. i have had very good durability from these tires, and modest drop off in performance. i am going to try their a15 compound this year, which has been recommended by other users of avon. the tires are presently being imported from jolly old england by various dealers, so there is expense and waiting time to be anticipated. also, avon makes tires designed for many applications, specific to front as well as rear placement on the car, car size and weight, etc. i'd look on kraus' web site to get the general lay of the land, and then call to get get specifics. i'm no whiz bang autocrosser, so my overall performance is not real impressive. however i'm having a good time with these tires.
    Joseph 5.0 pony

--
    07 Jun 2013 10:03 AM
    I have some brand new hoosier slicks for sale. i live in nj 27.0X14.0-16 and 25.0x13.0-16 2 pairs each..
    Vr4play

--
    10 Jul 2013 08:01 PM
    I would just switch to a radial A6 Hoosier and call it good. You need more camber but I tried running the goodyears in the harder compound and never could get them anywhere near hot enough to be as competitive as my A6 Hoosiers. My car is still 3200lbs and AWD. I don't think you could get 50 runs out of a set but maybe you could see if Hankook has a radial tire in a size close. They are just as fast as the Hoosier but wear much better. I'm using a Hoosier specific size so thats why I run them. The R25B Hoosier used to stick like made but they wore out really fast and I'm not sure if they even make them anymore.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner