xnamerxx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Jun 2013 05:29 PM
Posted By TPColgett on 03 Jun 2013 04:17 PM
Posted By Andres3165 on 03 Jun 2013 03:31 PM
Posted By TPColgett on 03 Jun 2013 02:50 PM
I plan to mount my 205's onto 15x7.5's soon! I've heard the tire does not like to be squeezed onto too small a wheel... but time and results will tell more than rumor!

I love them.

Andy recommended 205's, I also heard that there was not too much difference in performance between both sizes.

I got the 225's because the 205's were temporarily off the shelf and also because I had such good results in the past with the 225 RS3's.

If I had the funds I could try the 205's against the 225's but for now I need to get R1R's. Rivals sucked in the wet.

Andres

GREAT info!

Are R1R's really the tire to have in the wet...? I don't want to have to buy a set of 16"s to run the Conti DW, but is there anything more comparable in a 15?

Z2

Andres3165
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Jun 2013 07:28 PM

GREAT info!

Are R1R's really the tire to have in the wet...? I don't want to have to buy a set of 16"s to run the Conti DW, but is there anything more comparable in a 15?

Andy recommends the Conti's , I never drove them, I love the R1R's cold or wet.

Andres

The Tick

--
03 Jun 2013 08:07 PM
Andres, Looking forward to a chance to catch up a bit at Nats this year, been a long time since I've seen you.

Sounds like you have your car working pretty good, but after seeing the attached pic I can't help thinking you might be better with faster rebound/less bar in the rear. That inside rear is WAY up there...
xnamerxx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
05 Jun 2013 12:05 AM
Andres what spring rates are you running?
Andres3165
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
05 Jun 2013 02:33 PM
Posted By xnamerxx on 05 Jun 2013 12:05 AM

Not strong enough  6/5

Andres

xnamerxx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
05 Jun 2013 05:03 PM
Posted By Andres3165 on 05 Jun 2013 02:33 PM
Posted By xnamerxx on 05 Jun 2013 12:05 AM

Not strong enough  6/5

Andres

After almost 2 years of waiting and losing a competitor SoCal is finally starting to get STF drivers.  One of them just bought a Mazda 2 and I want to give him the best advice I can.  

What would you recommend for an OTS setup?  I run 400/400 in my Yaris but I don't think my setup is optimized all that well.

TPColgett

--
05 Jun 2013 05:52 PM
I'm still dialing in my Fit. I am at 8K/10K now. I have been changing spring length though as opposed to stiffness and focusing on more optimal balance and better cross weight ...
xnamerxx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
05 Jun 2013 06:18 PM
Make sure your not running on the bumpstops...thats the issue I'm having right now. Even raising the ride height an inch I hit the bumpstops.
davebs14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Jun 2013 11:13 PM

Posted By Andres3165 on 03 Jun 2013 07:28 P

GREAT info!

Andy recommends the Conti's , I never drove them, I love the R1R's cold or wet.

Andres

The DW is THE  tire in the wet...but at the same time I was only 6-7 tenths off on my fuzion ZRI tires. The conti was a great intermediate tire as well...for that rain that starts to make small puddles up to the I can's see shit in this weather downpour.

Now onto my 2 cents on rivals...the 205/225 don't seem to be any different on the Mini I drive. Pretty much the same time either way. The 205 responds quicker and seemed to me slightly taller...about 1-2/10ths of an inch...but that may be my set.

As for tire life they do not last as long as the RS3 for me...but they are fast for just as long if not a few runs more. They are fast to the cords IMO. Great tire. They also work just fine flipped as Fastmike mentioned to me before. I'm using 205s on the back because I need to burn them up as of now. I'll probably have 225s square for nationals since I will wanna rotate tires out between runs and whatnot.

Now onto setup changes...something I've found with the mini....the gearing is not great. So I am shifting A LOT on national courses...the GPS speed in 2nd is about 52mph in 2nd gear...so that sucks...I'm also experimenting with a bit more camber in the rear since I corded rear tires on the outside edge. So far so good...

I'm going to put different pads on to help make the brakes easier to modulate as well. The car has ice mode issues. Also on my BMWCCA setup with R-comps on 9s up front and 7.5s in back the car was able to get the 2 rear tires off the ground under braking (a few inches...so that was odd).

All in all the car is coming along...here's a few videos from this past sunday.

This is my best real time:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Pg3Ht2rRk

My best double entry time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhSMQydSzVQ

My 2nd run when I hit a wet spot on the sweeper...at about 40 sec in I think...YIKES!  -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mod5qjUQrc

Andres3165
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
28 Jun 2013 12:07 PM
Posted By davebs14 on 05 Jun 2013 11:13 PM
The DW is THE  tire in the wet...but at the same time I was only 6-7 tenths off on my fuzion ZRI tires. The conti was a great intermediate tire as well...for that rain that starts to make small puddles up to the I can's see shit in this weather downpour.

Now onto setup changes...something I've found with the mini....the gearing is not great. So I am shifting A LOT on national courses...the GPS speed in 2nd is about 52mph in 2nd gear...so that sucks...I'm also experimenting with a bit more camber in the rear since I corded rear tires on the outside edge. So far so good...

I thought your reflash took care of the rev limiter..

Andres

Zewerr

--
22 Jul 2013 11:40 PM

I have a quick question about the legality of some aftermarket control arms for my Focus for STF.  I currently have coil-overs on the car that come with non-adjustable pillow top mounts for the front.  I'm looking to replace my stock lower control arms (that look like this) with these in order to achieve my desired negative camber on the front.  From trying to read section 14.8 of the rule book closely, I've came to my own conclusion that they would be legal if my strut tops remain fixed.  I'm just unsure if the lower ball joint is considered a "bushing", and changing the style from a ball and socket style to a heim joint style would be considered illegal.  Input, or anything I'm missing?

xnamerxx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
23 Jul 2013 10:40 AM
Heim joints or metal bushings aren't legal. Your replacing the ball joint which is illegal in and of itself, and the bushings with something solid going to control arms that are metal and heim joints, so I would believe they are illegal.

14.8 SUSPENSION
B. Suspension bushings may be replaced with bushings of any materials (except metal) as long as they fit in the original location. Offset
bushings may be used. In a replacement bushing, the amount of
metal relative to the amount of non-metallic material may not be increased. This does not authorize a change in type of bushing (e.g.,
ball and socket replacing a cylindrical bushing) or use of a bushing
with an angled hole whose direction differs from that of the original
bushing. If the Stock bushing accommodated multi-axis motion via
compliance of the component material(s), the replacement bushing
may not be changed to accommodate such motion via a change in
bushing type, for example to a spherical bearing or similar component involving internal moving parts. Pins or keys may be used to
prevent the rotation of alternate bushings but may serve no other
purpose than that of retaining the bushing in the desired position.
ecugrad97

--
23 Jul 2013 11:26 AM
Posted By Bill Zerr on 22 Jul 2013 11:40 PM

I have a quick question about the legality of some aftermarket control arms for my Focus for STF.  I currently have coil-overs on the car that come with non-adjustable pillow top mounts for the front.  I'm looking to replace my stock lower control arms (that look like this) with these in order to achieve my desired negative camber on the front.  From trying to read section 14.8 of the rule book closely, I've came to my own conclusion that they would be legal if my strut tops remain fixed.  I'm just unsure if the lower ball joint is considered a "bushing", and changing the style from a ball and socket style to a heim joint style would be considered illegal.  Input, or anything I'm missing?

Ohhhh what a complicated and frustrating topic Bill.  I too have a SVT Focus and honestly have the configuration of parts you have posted.  They are, IMHO, illegal to the letter of the law.  I do feel they meet the "intent" of the rule (FWIW) as it isn't like the aftermarket heim joint and stud are doing anything different than the stock ball joint.  Their method of attachment only allows camber adjustment.  That said, if it doesn't say you can, you can't applies here

Have you looked at the control arms from the new Focus ST?  They aren't adjustable but from what I have read they are identical except for the ball joint is pushed further out to give more negative camber.

Zewerr

--
23 Jul 2013 09:33 PM
So, then I guess we are considering the ball joint as a "bushing". I've always considered them as different entities in a suspension system. So the rules are considering any point in the suspension that articulates is a bushing?
xnamerxx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
23 Jul 2013 11:50 PM
The ball joint in and of itself does not make the arm illegal the heim joints make the arm illegal. The heim joint that replaces the ball joint is illegal

The heim joint replacing the ball joint is illegal because it doesn't say you can.

I'm also gonna say this, that control arm is sketchy, it looks very unsafe to use in an AutoX/high loading situation. Heim joints DO NOT like side loads and attaching the upright to that is going to generate a ton of side load. Also if the production piece looks anything like the picture I would be shocked if it didn't fail before 1 run was finished.
xnamerxx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
30 Jul 2013 11:20 AM
17 prereg'd for STF at Nats...I might have to find some vacation time so I can figure out a way to go now.
davebs14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 Aug 2013 09:16 AM
Posted By Andres3165 on 28 Jun 2013 12:07 PM 
Posted By davebs14 on 05 Jun 2013 11:13 PM

I thought your reflash took care of the rev limiter..

Andres

I never found anyone to do an ECU reflash...BUT I did just have to replace all 4 coils and plugs on the car (just to be safe) to combat a random misfire I had at the Pro in Blytheville, the practice Friday afternoon there and the last regional I ran the car at a few weeks ago here. 

Jan says it's running much smoother now. No more stupid lumpy idle like before. Rev limiter functioning properly, etc. So maybe it will fine a few more horses LOL. Maybe we'll be up to 125 crank HP for nationals  

I can't wait to get there and see everyone. Andres I'd love to take a few runs in the car on Monday or Tuesday on the practice course if it's available.   

Also an open invite to the STF folks to come say hi and such. I'll be paddocked in row 19 again, and I'll have the golf cart, canopy and BBQ setup (crappy $30 walmart grill lol) in the spectator area watching runs Tuesday and Wednesday. So come say hi and hang out

Andres3165
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 Aug 2013 02:03 PM
Won't get there until wednesday , but you could try it on wednesday T&T. How come you know your Paddock spot?

Andres
Bobzilla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 Aug 2013 02:34 PM
Looks like I'm out for STF Nats. I got offered a great ride and I think I'm going to take it.
davebs14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 Aug 2013 02:35 PM
Posted By davebs14 on 06 Feb 2013 01:43 AM

Another year polishing our turds...what have we all done...what are we doing setup wise?

Still have the 2011 mini with the following:

- 15x7.5 konig wheels (roller or litespeeed wheels) with the 225 hankooks

- filter on a stick with a rear muffler delete from the HS days

- bilstein sports with swift springs, vorshlag camber plates and hotchkis race rear bar

WISH LIST:

- race seats

- replacement header, cat and exhaust

- ECU reflash

- lightweight battery and other lighter odds and ends

- some replacement engine mounts and such

- more wheels

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 2013 update:

- Installed Recaro Pole Position on driver's side to hold us in better (http://www.proamauto.com). Thanks John for the awesome seat and bracket.

- Rear LCA's. H-Sport brand. BIG thanks to Way @ Way Motorworks (http://www.waymotorworks.com) for the quick delivery on this. Helped stabilize the rear of the car and allowed me to not rely on the factory bolts so much.

- Short shifter by cravenspeed for a more solid feel. Also from Way Motorworks. This has drastically reduced my 2-3 3-2 missed shifts

- we also got a set of 6UL wheels from 949racing.com. They are nice and light and work great on the rear where I need to tuck it in as tight as possible.

and last but not least...

- BFG RIVAL TIRES!!! Holy smokes these things have been great. It's hard to tell when they fall off because even when they do fall off a bit they are still fast.

Updated post #1 with the new stuff on the car

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 5 << < 12345 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner