7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Fastie

--
13 Feb 2013 12:33 AM

Question:

Anyone have experience with the Uhaul trailers and would you recommend or is there another option I could consider to rent a trailer for a weekend of Rallycross - I will be towing with a 1/2 ton truck and towing a Subaru Impreza on the tralier.

Details:

Towed a boat for years so I do have some trailer experience, but I am a rookie at trailing cars and need some suggestions and help. We are planning on trying a few Rallycross events and wanted to tap the knowledge of those who have trailered their cars to SCCA events. If we enjoy the events, I will be buying a trailer at some point, but thought renting maybe a good option for now. We could drive the Subaru there and take the truck for all the equipment, but my son may or may not have his drivers license by then and just feel more comfortable if we take our truck and tow the Subaru. We will need to change tires and all that and prefer to do work at home and prep before the event instead of in the mud, etc. at the event would be best. Plus cost of trailer for weekend is only $160 so not too bad.

Would you recommend I use additional tow straps, and any suggestions for a rookie is appreciated.

Davidss
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Feb 2013 02:55 AM
    Uhaul trailers work fine. If the car you are trailering is stock ride height then you shouldn't have any issues loading or using the included straps. I would allot extra time picking up the trailer as many uhaul stores are really slow doing all the paperwork.

Also take a look at the store hours, if you time it right you can get an extra half day for free. For example say they are open 8am-8pm Monday-Saturday, then 8am-6pm on Sunday. If you pick up the trailer after 6pm on Saturday you will have until 7:59am Monday to return it for the price of a single day.
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Feb 2013 07:11 AM
    My memory is blurry on this, but I seem to recall needing to purchase a 6,000 pound, 2" trailer hitch ball and receiver to use a U-Haul car trailer. The common 2" ball capacity is 5,000 pounds, but the combined weight of the car and trailer were over that. Maybe it was my 6" drop receiver that was only rated for 5,000 pounds? Check with your local U-Haul dealer or their web site for details.....
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Feb 2013 12:36 PM
    their trailers are heavy and they have been known to deny renting them if the tow vehicle capacity and/or weight is being exceeded by the loaded net trailer/vehicle weight

Fastie

--
    16 Feb 2013 01:35 PM

My tow vehicle is a Chevy Silverado work truck with extended cab - they asked me as you all suggested when I made reservation. I am thinking of just trying to fit everything in the car and drive to the event - but wanted the extra room a security of having something to bring car home if there was a problem. Are they any alternatives to renting u-haul that might be better? I was also thinking of maybe just buying a trailer from craigs list and figure I could resale if we decide not to race anymore - but thought a few events renting would be best. Sorry I know I am trying to make a decision through a forum - but appreciate hearing how others solved this problem

vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Feb 2013 07:32 AM

As I'm on the record saying, renting a U-Haul trailer to attend a Tour event was the worst mistake of my life. Rolling the car off the trailer and driving straight to tech without having to change tires, not having to change back and forth to street tires on Friday/Saturday evenings to head back to the hotel, and most importantly simply driving the car onto the trailer at the end of the event Sunday and hitting the road for home without changing tires takes most of the fun out of autocross. I wish that I never did it, because it changed the way that I think and ultimately wound up costing me about 40 times that weekend trailer rental fee a few months later when I solved my garage space problem and need for a trailer by purchasing an enclosed 24-foot aluminum car hauler.

From my experience working Rallycross events locally, I don't think that I would go to one as a driver without a trailer. It seems that 5% of all cars leave every event broken, and the local tow truck company actually kept a flatbed in the paddock. I also know that I would never take my monster enclosed car hauler to an event, since it would bottom out or get high-centered just driving through the dirt roads to the paddock. Everyone who has a trailer has the basic open car trailer, with spring axles so it sits nice and high. Oh, and a winch is highly recommended.

In addition to Craigslist, I suggest keeping an eye on racingjunk.com and the classifieds here for trailer bargains. $1000 - $1500 trailer do pop up frequently, and it is only a matter of how far you want to drive to pick one up. You might also want to check with your local circle/dirt track guys, since they frequently use open trailers with tire racks on the front. The price of a few long weekend U-Haul rentals makes buying a used open trailer almost a no-brainer, assuming that you have a place to store it and something to tow it with.....
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Feb 2013 10:48 AM
    The ONLY safe U-Haul vehicle or trailer is one with a paper tag on it. As a fleet, they are about the worst maintained vehicles on the roads.
    Fastie

--
    17 Feb 2013 11:51 PM

Great additional comments, this is the type of experience I was hoping to hear about. I know trailers are expensive and luckily I do have a place I can keep one for free. I was looking for the open type as well since it is a great way to work on the car in some areas if you have access from below so it serves another purpose there as well if you take the correct safety precautions.

Anyway - thanks for advice I will look for a trailer soon and hopefully find a a good bargain. In the meantime I think I am going to opt to drive there without one - sounds like uHaul is too much of a risk. And, if the car does breakdown, I'll call the wife to go get one :)

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner