2013 Mustang Suspension Questions
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
c_reber

--
13 Feb 2013 01:25 PM

So I know the Mustang GT would be in F-stock. From what I'm reading, just changing the lower control arms to adjustable instantly puts the car into SM? I do have more suspension installed, but wondering mostly about the LCA's.

My current mods: KW V3 coilovers / Whiteline Upper control arm, Lower control arm, F&R Swaybars, Watts link / Steeda short shifter / 18x10.5 TSW wheels with 285/35 Hankook RS3. Just looking for some hope to possibly sneak into a class more suited to the 'stang (slow-heavy cars). Even though I know the mustang is not an ideal SM car, I'm getting KILLED in SM. (driver is part of the problem ;) ) SCCA is not what the car was originally built for, but still like to have some autox fun (and maybe be competitive too).

THANKS

Cito
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    13 Feb 2013 03:05 PM
    You can decontent your car to ESP specs or just not get too caught up with the fact that your car is not competitive in SM. I do not believe that you would ever be competitive in SM.

I am not sure, but what I believe is that you would be fine for ESP except perhaps for the control arm. Obviously, you are going to need to consider going to an A6 or similar tire if you really want to be competitive, and there are a few other modifications that would get you further down the road (e.g., caster/camber plates, differential, etc).

You can't go wrong, IMHO, asking Sam Strano for advice at Stranoparts.com.

You would benefit from reviewing Terry Fair's blog here: http://www.vorshlag.com/blog/?p=571.
    SMSupercoupe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Feb 2013 05:42 PM
    The kind of bushings you have in your control arms will also be a factor. I believe you can't have any more metal than in a factory bushing, no heim joints, etc. But yeah, Sam is the guy to ask.
    Whiskey11

--
    13 Feb 2013 10:37 PM

Well your class progression is pretty limited in a Mustang. To be competitive it goes FS -> ESP -> CP and that's pretty much it. The car is classed in STX where it is woefully out classed as well as SM then I think it goes to E-Mod after CP but don't quote me on that.

That said, your current mods list would require removal of the Whiteline Watts link (not legal in STX/ESP per the last FasTrack clarification disallowing changing the differential cover) and the lower control arms. The Whiteline UCA is fine for ESP as the bushing is their proprietary non-metal bushing (it looks like yellow poly but it's not "poly" per Jared Chavez at Whiteline). Everything else screams ESP you just need some 315 wide A6's on a 10.5" wheel, remove the Whiteline Watts and LCA's and you'd be fine, or you could stay in SM locally until the rules change in ESP to allow the Whiteline Watts, then pull the LCA's for the stockers (the GT500/Boss302 LCA's are legal because they are the same as what is on the Brembo/Track Pack 5.0's) and run in ESP which is where I recommend you run.

c_reber

--
    14 Feb 2013 12:11 PM
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like the LCA's are the main culprit on forcing the car into SM. As well as the other stuff too.

I think I will take your advice and continue to run it as it is in SM and not really be competitive. I don't plan on de-modding, especially taking off the watts link! The car was mostly set up to do track events and time attacks, so I'll just do the autocrosses for fun/practice.

And I forgot to mention I do have Maximum motorsports camber/caster plates, and the car is already a track pack (can't believe those LCA's were already upgraded from base model mustangs, they looked junk to me).

THANKS!
    Cito
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Feb 2013 12:18 PM
    Chris pointed out something very important about your watts link that I had not considered. Your car is technically in SM, but is essentially ESP prepped. You can always keep that in mind when you are comparing times to other competitors. You also have to keep in mind the amount of time you are giving up with your tires. For most of us, the main thing is to have fun and develop car control skills.
    mrazny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Feb 2013 01:44 PM
    Just to clarify a bit, it's not a Watts Link that is illegal, it's the design that Whiteline has because it replaces the differential cover. There was never an allowance to change the diff cover. And there you can do a Watts Link without changing the diff cover. Basically Whiteline made something to do two things at once, but the SCCA ruleset for STX/ESP don't allow for that second thing. Just another example that in the end, we as autocrossers are small fish in the grand scheme.
    Whiskey11

--
    17 Feb 2013 01:01 PM
    c_reber wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like the LCA's are the main culprit on forcing the car into SM. As well as the other stuff too.

I think I will take your advice and continue to run it as it is in SM and not really be competitive. I don't plan on de-modding, especially taking off the watts link! The car was mostly set up to do track events and time attacks, so I'll just do the autocrosses for fun/practice.

And I forgot to mention I do have Maximum motorsports camber/caster plates, and the car is already a track pack (can't believe those LCA's were already upgraded from base model mustangs, they looked junk to me).

THANKS!

Sadly, the Track Pack LCA's ARE upgraded over the stocker units on the base models. The stamping is similar (basically identical) but there are some stiffening plates and the rubber bushings are a higher durometer. My understanding is that they are still better than what came on the base model, if only by a little bit.

And as Cito said, Autocross, no matter your desired level of competition should ALWAYS be about having FUN! If you are not having fun it isn't worth having as a hobby.

01 FS Z28
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Feb 2013 09:26 PM
    Strano Performance Parts: No internet meltdowns in 2013! Also I've won 9 National Championships in S197 Mustangs.

01 FS Z28
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Feb 2013 09:30 PM
    LCA's aren't any issue on a competitive ESP car. Stock ones are *fine*.
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Mar 2013 01:18 PM

Strano Performance Parts: No internet meltdowns in 2013! Also I've won 9 National Championships in S197 Mustangs.

Can you have a long internet blog with out the odd breakdown or two?  I thought that was required, like the breakdowns that are part of "reality" TV.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner