Basic Member

--
rosejm
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
15 Feb 2013 01:26 PM
I am so totally screwed!

But I mean, let's be honest he's got so much more room in there than I do.

Semi-related, does anyone have a lead on 2003/2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000 engine? Or possibly a car-kit (engine & wiring/dash) from another bike?
I'll also have one that might need a rebuild (or qualify for anchor status). Pretty sure that I spun a bearing (rod?) with all the glitter in the oil.
copterdr

--
15 Feb 2013 08:44 PM

James, I have a friend that knows of a guy in Tinley Park that does exchange engines. I guess the guy is also on ebay. I will try to get you the info.

steveR
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
16 Feb 2013 01:35 AM
Have you heard of Motorcycle George?
I personally haven't gone to him yet, but I hear he has quite a collection of motorcycle parts.
I'll p.m. you his info.
rosejm
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
18 Feb 2013 12:55 PM

I think I might have found that one Stu, just north of Tinley Park off of 43?

I think he might even have what I need, if his ebay page is accurate.

rosejm
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
23 Apr 2013 03:27 PM
So, I did have 'Harlie Charlie' rebuild the engine. Seemed to say all the right things (new bottom end, plasti-gauged, new high-flow oil pump and pressure regulator), and everything appeared on the level.  He doesn't however do exchange engines, but rather rebuilds whatever you send in.
Got the engine back and put in the car last week, and it seemed fine cranking by hand to fill the oil passages.

Went to Indy's TnT on Saturday and the engine built oil pressure (22 @ idle, 65 @ 3k) when cold, but once it warms up there's no more oil pressure. Also seems to have a lower end knock when a load is applied (accel in any gear). Changed the oil and filter there in paddock and there's a bunch of metal in the oil. Haven't had time to split the filter yet to look but I suspect it's full too.

I know there's to be some metal from the fresh rebuild, but this seems pretty excessive.

Called Charlie when I got home and he thought it might be a bad pressure regulator, and he'll have some more in Wed. I'm calling him to confirm that day and making a trip with the whole machine later this week. I'm hopeful that he's going to make things right, but I'm still interested in any sources or recommendations for a replacement 2004 GSX-R 1000 engine or possibly a newer GSX-R 1000 engine/ecu/dash/wiring package.
Clemens
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
23 Apr 2013 07:04 PM

James,

I sent you a PM with a link to eBay a while ago.  I am not sure if you saw that.   That wasn't the greatest deal anyway.  This engine was inexpensive, but it looks like it is sold now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11103036090...1438.l2649

I'd go to dsr.racer.net, click on the Forum link and post a wanted message in the engine section.  I am sure there are people out there who took early GSX-R engines out of their cars to upgrade to newer engines.  You might be able to find an engine that way for reasonable money.

Clemens

rosejm
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 May 2013 05:08 PM
Not sure if it was a bad pressure regulator or not... Took the whole shebang up to Oak Park on Monday, and dropped the oilpan to swap for a new regulator. It was immediately obvious that there was at least one bearing's worth of dime sized pieces of metal hanging out there. A new regulator isn't going to take care of that.

Pulled the motor out yesterday morning (I'm getting quicker at this now), and dropped it off for another attempt over the next 10 days. I'll be pulling the trigger on a new oilpan/pickup/baffle from Rilltech Racing (Thanks for the DSR/F1000 links Clemens!). The design looks much better than the home-brew chop that's there currently and slightly different from the majority of billet GSXR racing pans I've seen.  They've even got some data traces from testing, which bodes well. Should be able to use it on another GSXR if it comes to that.

At least I'm not missing much in the next few weekends.
rosejm
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
27 Jun 2013 04:10 PM
Ok, well I've got the motor back and in the car. Anyone know where I can pickup a 2002-2007 Suzuki cam sensor (and maybe one of the mounting bolts) in the next 48 hours?

Guy broke off the sensor (and I think in half) as well as snapped the casting around one of the tapped holes in the valve cover while it was in his care. I don't think that the engine will run without it, even though it is a simple hall-effect sensor.
rosejm
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Jul 2013 02:45 PM
It runs! Still have a good bit of break-in to do though.

I'm 90% going to Furrin Group's Saturday/Sunday event @ GVSU, but might skip Sunday for Chicago Region's event instead.
Anyone interested in some dry weather driving?
BlackCavalier52
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Jul 2013 11:31 PM
Furrin? never heard of them...
rosejm
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
05 Jul 2013 04:20 PM
Furrin.org
Grand Rapids local car club for 'them damn furrin cars'

There's even a race prepped Cougar I'm going to try and get a picture of.
Attachments
rosejm
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Jul 2013 03:44 PM
After 10 hours of break-in driving and no strangeness things sounded good. Packed up and headed north.

Great group up there, laid back but still running a quality event. Tighter course, but with a decent 'straight' to get a bit of speed. Pretty familiar to be honest... Most of the cars were in Stock or Street Modified classes.

1.5 runs later, I'm hearing more metal-to-metal noises. Either some failure in the parts or the mechanic, but I'm done dealing with both of them. Anyone need a 150lb anchor?
You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner