Where would a diffuser put me?
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
btwyx

--
16 Feb 2013 03:51 PM

For one of our cars (our track car not our autocross car), I'm thinking of adding a diffuser, I was wondering where that would put me if we ever wanted to autocross the car.

The car is a 2012 MINI JCW, so might fit in DS, STX or DSP.

I assume that would put me out of stock.

So I looked at the ST rules. 14.2F mentions "spoilers, splitters, rear wings", but no mention of diffusers. The diffuser is "a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a US model of the vehicle." The diffuser I'm looking at is standard on the GP special edition which is just hitting the streets.

In DSP it might be legal as a backdate/update if the GP were listed as eligible for DSP.

Other than that it would seem to be SMF. Seems a long way to move a car just because of a little modification, though I notice SMF has a better PAX than DSP.

Am I missing anything?

Boxologist
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Feb 2013 06:03 PM
    The classing is not just for a little modification, it is for all the modifications available. You have chosen not to use all the allowances. The GP looks like a bump in power of the regular JCW, I think you may want to submit a letter to sebscca.com so it can be explicitly classed. I would assume it will be in D Stock as well, but it would be simpler to see a "Mini JCW (all)" or Mini JCW and Mini JCW GP on seperate lines in the Solo Rules than someone mistakenly say off to Street Prepared/Street Touring.
    Andy Hollis

--
    16 Feb 2013 08:52 PM

edit for wrongness.

btwyx

--
    17 Feb 2013 12:58 AM
    Andy Hollis wrote:

The current ST* aero/bodywork allowance *does* allow for parts from other year/trim version of the same car. If the GP diffuser installs per the manufacturers instructions without modification to the JCW version of the car, it is compliant. If it doesn't, it isn't.

I don't see where it allows diffusers. It lists lots of other things, but not diffusers.

Andy Hollis

--
    17 Feb 2013 08:26 AM
    Barry wrote:
    Andy Hollis wrote:

The current ST* aero/bodywork allowance *does* allow for parts from other year/trim version of the same car. If the GP diffuser installs per the manufacturers instructions without modification to the JCW version of the car, it is compliant. If it doesn't, it isn't.

I don't see where it allows diffusers. It lists lots of other things, but not diffusers.

Yep, you are correct sir. I'll edit/delete my comment above.

cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Feb 2013 12:56 PM
    I don't believe the GP version will be classed in DS due to production and availability concerns.
    btwyx

--
    19 Feb 2013 05:21 PM

Its not the GP I'm worried about, my car isn't a GP, just a plain JCW. Its the GP diffuser I'm thinking of adding. I'm not sure I can find any allowance anywhere in the rules for adding a diffuser.

TravisD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Feb 2013 11:20 PM
    Are you prepping it to a specific SCCA road racing class?
    autocrossaddict

--
    20 Feb 2013 09:39 AM
    Barry wrote:

In DSP it might be legal as a backdate/update if the GP were listed as eligible for DSP.

Other than that it would seem to be SMF. Seems a long way to move a car just because of a little modification, though I notice SMF has a better PAX than DSP.

Am I missing anything?

I was told putting the JCW fixed spoiler on my Coupe would be SMF as it is a dealer installed option. So your read as being in SMF seems possible.

FWIW, I'm moving my DSP JCW Mini Coupe to SMF this year since the PAX is slightly better and worse case at least we are all FWD. Not that the 1900lbs Hondas have anything to fear... The Franken-Beamers in DSP can crush a persons soul quickly.

btwyx

--
    22 Feb 2013 03:10 PM
    TravisD wrote:
    Are you prepping it to a specific SCCA road racing class?

Its not prepped, we use it for track days, not competitive events. I assume you're thinking of the sections which say road racing prepped cars can fit into the various categories.

(As an aside, unfortunately the wife is dead against racing, I wanted to turn the other MINI into a B Spec racer, but we compromised on Autocross instead.)

btwyx

--
    15 Mar 2013 01:14 AM

After installing the diffuser, I found it made no measurable effect on the downforce or drag (which is not a surprise), so if it ever comes to that, I'll enter in stock. 13.2A allows:

"appearance ... modifications which have no effect on performance and/or handling"

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner