Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
nutty944
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
23 Feb 2013 11:03 PM

Thanks in advance for any help with this...

I am currently in the finishing stages of an EM build based on a 75 VW Beetle. I have read and reread the rules and am not seeing the answer to these 2 things.

I planned on putting a splitter on the front, and as it reads, that can only be as wide as the rear body work, however, on a beetle the rear body work is narrower than the front. SO I am assuming I would be stuck limiting my width to the rear, or would it be allowed to go to outer edge of the front?

My second question, are widened fenders permitted? I can't find anything that says yes or no.

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Feb 2013 09:33 AM

pretty sure that somewhere there is an allowance for flaring/widening fenders. The fenders have to cover 1/2 the tire viewed from above, and I think the body is measured at axle height on the rear fenders.

Sounds like a pretty cool project, pictures????

Jeff Christianson

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Feb 2013 09:42 AM
    18.1.b.1 covers general bodywork modification which also covers wider fenders/flares/etc.

You would be stuck limiting your splitter to the width of the stock rear, if you left the rear stock. If you modify the rear fenders to make them wider, then the splitter can match that.

DaveW
    nutty944
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Feb 2013 11:12 PM
    Thanks for the input. I reread a couple more times, and it sounds like it will be acceptable. I was bold and ordered some widened rears.

I'll work on posting some pics up this week. Basic idea of build: 75 Super beetle, 69 Porsche 901 Transaxle, 99 JDM STi powerplant, Porsche 914 brakes, Suspension is a muttly half breed, but we'll see how it does.
    genecooley

--
    26 Feb 2013 01:25 AM

The rules say that fenders are "free" (as long as they don't contribute to aero/downforce). As noted they have to cover at least 1/2 the tire width as viewed from above.

Are you building a rear engined car or getting out the cutting equipment and going mid-engined?

Gene Cooley--E/Mod '65 Fiat 600/Ecotec

nutty944
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Mar 2013 10:00 PM
    Posted By genecooley on 26 Feb 2013 01:25 AM

The rules say that fenders are "free" (as long as they don't contribute to aero/downforce). As noted they have to cover at least 1/2 the tire width as viewed from above.

Are you building a rear engined car or getting out the cutting equipment and going mid-engined?

Gene Cooley--E/Mod '65 Fiat 600/Ecotec

We are sticking rear engine.  Would have loved to go mid, but cost and available resources played factors there.  Hopefully it still manages to be fairly effective.  If nothing else, it will be fun!
    gbeaird

--
    10 Apr 2013 02:34 PM
    And carrying the front wheels over the start lights will drastically-help your times. :-D

nutty944
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Apr 2013 10:24 PM
    Posted By gbeaird on 10 Apr 2013 02:34 PM
    And carrying the front wheels over the start lights will drastically-help your times. :-D

This is what I was thinking! 

We had it out a couple times, faced a whole slew of issues, but we are getting things straightened out.  Definitely a huge learning curve.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner