Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DrJones_CMR
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
19 Mar 2010 05:39 AM

Well my friend wants his 18' featherlite back for his STR car. This will leave me trailer less.
    I have been looking on-line and see there are about 1 Million makers of 18-20' open steel trailers.

I'm looking for peoples thoughts and recommendations on these (i.e. stay away from this brand, go with a 20' over an 18' because...)

I looked through the towing discussions and there are no recent thread on it so i figured it'd be a good idea to start a new one.

Thanks,

Alex

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Mar 2010 05:58 AM
    DrJones_CMR wrote:

Well my friend wants his 18' featherlite back for his STR car. This will leave me trailer less.
    I have been looking on-line and see there are about 1 Million makers of 18-20' open steel trailers.

I'm looking for peoples thoughts and recommendations on these (i.e. stay away from this brand, go with a 20' over an 18' because...)

I looked through the towing discussions and there are no recent thread on it so i figured it'd be a good idea to start a new one.

Thanks,

Alex

In most cases, open trailers are very similar. If I were to replace my 2 axle trailer I would like a lower entry without a bunch of hassles, and that means torsion beams instead of leaf springs. If I had the money, I would have a Featherlite 3110 in a second. Light (1400 lbs), low, 4 electric brakes.

Dave Hardy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Mar 2010 06:02 AM
    If you want cheap, I'm selling this one - http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/p...41351.html
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Mar 2010 06:48 AM

How wide is the bed on that?

Thanks,

DaveW

Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Mar 2010 07:03 AM
    As you noted, there are lots of companies, both small and large, that make these. Most are very similar. My experience is, choose a manufacturer and model that uses a boxed frame. The open channel or angle iron frames flex way too much.
    Dave Hardy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Mar 2010 09:46 AM
    47CP wrote:

How wide is the bed on that?

Thanks,

DaveW

6' wide between the frame rails x 16' long runners. 4' between the runners.

wrchas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Mar 2010 04:23 PM

We have a short thread on my local forum that discusses this.

http://teamtac.org/e107/e107_plugin....php?44482

BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    21 Mar 2010 07:29 AM

I bought and el-cheapo 15' steel trailer (A PA place called Econo-Trailer) in 2005. There are definitely some things I'd like to have, but this trailer works great. I use it during the season and my brother-in-law uses it in the winter. It probably has 15,000 miles towing my 3400lb camaro and other classic American cars and I have had no issues. 4-wheel brakes, LED lights, and breakaway brake system was standard. I added a spare and mount and I think it was around $1900.00 + tax (looks like they are a few hundred more now). The ramp design is just OK, could be better, and I had to add a few things like a pad for the tongue jack. The front straps end up beneath the car so they are difficult to adjust, too. A little welding would take care of that last pick, though. It must not be a very big deal because I haven't fixed it.

That being said, I think you either buy something cheap or you buy a really nice trailer (aluminum Featherlite comes to mind). I wouldn't replace my current trailer unless I got a really nice one. The single nicest looking steel trailer I've seen is a Bri-Mar.

Impala SS AutoXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Mar 2010 08:55 AM

Not cheap, but once you use it you're not going to want to use a cheaper trailer [H] . Also note the resale is REALLY good on these trailers, so you get a large chunk of the $$$ back if/when you sell it.

http://www.kwikload.com/carhauler.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.kwikload.com/carhauler.htmhttp://www.kwikload.com/">

Easy to use, tows great (the design keeps the deck height pretty low = low center of gravity AND keeps the car down in the tow vehicle airstream = better mileage), and ideal for lowered cars.

Bought mine "almost new" in 2006, now around 40K miles and counting on it. For what it's worth, the 18 ft one will barely hold my Impala SS (which is also 18 ft long).

Any shorter car easily fits. Charlie's ST 89 Civic Si is pretty much dwarfed on it [:D]

DrJones_CMR
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Mar 2010 04:48 AM

More "thoughts":

1. Brakes on both axles or just one? I'm 99% planning on both axles.

2. 18 ft or 20 ft? 20 ft will give me more room to adjust car placement for weight distribution and room for a tire rack.

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Mar 2010 05:51 AM
    Alex, my trailer looks exactly like the tilt bed above, but has a fixed bed. I has single brakes, but I plan on changing to duals. I bought 6' aluminum ramps to load with. Even though mine has a removable left side fender, I chose to bolt down a couple a couple treated boards to drive up on so the door clears the fender. Now that is SP lowered it is again VERY close SO I may modestly modify the fender. My trailer has a 16' bed, so given the size of the car you would need to chose where the tire rack would be. If it is over the nose of the car, the shorter be length will be fine. If you want the tires down and out of the air stream you'll need at least an 18'.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner