what are the benefits of racing wheels?
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
djc225

--
07 Mar 2013 10:57 PM
    is it just about reduced weight? or do they have other advantages?
    dkmura

--
    07 Mar 2013 11:44 PM
    Lighter wheels reduce unsprung weight and exponentially help acceleration, braking and cornering. The offset of the wheels may help provide brake clearence and better cooling. Even the construction of the wheels may help those sticky race tires live up to their potential.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Apr 2013 08:55 AM
    Although I do look lighter wheels for race rubber, I often wonder how much objective testing has been done. I mean, if one has a 3000 pound car, how much real benefit MIGHT be achieved by installing (for instance) 3 pound lighter wheels, 6 pound lighter wheels, etc. That said, doing so on a much lighter car certainly would "bend" that curve some.
    mmueller

--
    25 May 2013 12:51 AM
    I totally agreed with Dkmura,lighter wheels only reduces weight that is the best benefit of it for healthy people.
    WrongWheelDrive

--
    25 May 2013 10:28 AM
    Posted By snaponbob on 10 Apr 2013 08:55 AM
    Although I do look lighter wheels for race rubber, I often wonder how much objective testing has been done. I mean, if one has a 3000 pound car, how much real benefit MIGHT be achieved by installing (for instance) 3 pound lighter wheels, 6 pound lighter wheels, etc. That said, doing so on a much lighter car certainly would "bend" that curve some.

Since its unsprung weight, I'd be willing to bet its a very real benefit. Of course, I have no hard data to prove this, just tales from the butt dyno.

sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 May 2013 11:35 AM
    Posted By snaponbob on 10 Apr 2013 08:55 AM

You have to do it car by car because there are a lot of factors.  Weight savings at the wheels will benefit lower-hp cars more than higher-hp; car weight is a much smaller of a factor.

I did some engineering calcs on this a few weeks ago looking at different wheel/tire combinations, and determined that on my car (3000lbs, 250hp, 25" tire diameter), that 2lbs/wheel (8lbs total) penalty I'd get for running wider tires on my 18" wheels worked out to effectively about 1hp loss in acceleration and I reckoned about 5 hundredths of a second difference over a 60 second autocross course; much bigger difference on the track where you spend more time in accelleration.  It's a much smaller (maybe a quarter of that) difference during braking because the brake pads are absorbing the rotational inertia, leaving just the plain ole ordinary weight; since most cars brake much faster than they accelerate, the straight time difference is proportionately smaller, too.  For cornering, lighter wheels would be removing well balanced weight from low on the car and yield an even smaller (extremely difficult to calculate, even for estimation purposes) difference.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner