Race Technology 468x60 Banner
Toyota mono ball pins? New ball joint design
Last Post 05 Apr 2013 11:40 AM by Coldiron. 6 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved

--
04 Apr 2013 09:13 PM

I am trying to find a roll center/ bump steer solution for my '92 gtfour. I currently have a set of tie rod flip kits. They are meant for a mk1 MR2, but the dimensions are the same as my car.

I wanted an off the shelf extended ball joint to simplify things, but none exist. The last gen celica as well as the Scion TC share the same design, but they also never had an extended ball joint on the market.

I searched around a bit and found the 2006+ Civic uses a similar designed ball joint and has plenty of aftermarket options for extended joints. I have been trying to track down a honda dealer who has them in stock around here to compare it to the ball joint I have to see if the mounting is the same dimensions. I doubt it is, but I have found other odd things that fit cars from different manufactures in the past.

My most feasible option is to have a bracket made with an option to either use a mono ball pin or some sort of extended screw in style balll joint from another car. Below is a friend's setup from his old race car. The car has been parted out and these parts now exist on a fwd race car. He made his own bracket, and then used a spherical bearing and GM mono Pin ball joint. He had to ream the mounting hole though since the angle of the pin vs toyota is different. If I could find a pin meant for toyotas that might save me a step and help my budget. I am trying to make this reliable, function as well as not break the bank. Any help is appreciated.

I did locate pics of the WRC rally car, but they welded in a new bracket for a press/screw in style ball joint. Below is the option my friend had built.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2013 10:14 PM
    Assuming this isn't a street car, I would convert directly to a monoball setup in American measurements because the parts are very cheap and very available from stock car places.

Back in my Fox Mustang CP days, I did a similar conversion. Assuming these are not rare spindles, you can drill them with a straight bolt size (I used 3/4) and then weld the bolt to the spindle. I used a grade 8 bolt and was very careful of heat by doing a short weld, letting it cool, then another. A grade 5 bolt may be better.

Here are cheap monoballs https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/v2a/viewproduct_group.asp?idgroup=2512072

For whatever reason, I can't find the place that has the premade mono ball holders on the internet. It may be from Coleman. I have seen them somewhere for a pretty good price.

If you go this direction, you do have to check the travel amount very carefully - a monoball doesn't have nearly the angle of misalignment that a ball joint does.

HTH,

DaveW

--
    04 Apr 2013 10:23 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    This is a street car. What kind of issues could going to a full mono ball setup cause? My spindles are not too rare, they are used on fwd celicas as well, but I put a fair amount of money into them converting them to 5x114 bolt pattern, so I don't want to ruin them.

I think this is the type used in the image I put above. http://www.colemanracing.com/Stud-M...P3687.aspx
    http://ubmachine.com/balljointspins.html

I want this car to be reliable on the street and on the track, so I want to do this right. I don't mind going to american measurements, I just have to get the hole reamed to match. I was hoping the civic ones might fit, but my concern with that is my car is heavier by at least 400lbs due to awd and cast iron block and I am not sure they are designed to handle that sort of weight.

I had an idea of getting a rod extension made that would thread onto an oem ball joint and then be tightened to the spindle, but I am not sure if that is structurally sound. 

They make something like that for vw, but its a different style. http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f16...er-615278/

I wish there was a way to have my ball joint rebuilt with a longer stud.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Apr 2013 10:38 PM
    UBB Has the monoball housings too http://ubmachine.com/monoballhousings.html

I would suspect the monoball issues on the street would be the same as using heim joints - noisy, intolerant to dirt and more rapid wear. I have never used them however so I am just guessing.

I was thinking about the spindles being rare because if you weld a bolt in there and ever screw up that bolt, the spindle is probably junk.

I don't know the relative size of your stuff compared to the stock car stuff, but if you could convert your taper as you suggest to a more standard size, you would have a ton of options. My car uses the Chrysler screw in BJ's on both upper and lower and there are regular BJ options plus about a million options for longer and adjustable ones for fairly reasonable amounts.

You might be able to purchase the reamer for similiar money to paying someone to do them for you: https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/v2a/viewproduct_group.asp?idgroup=2513234

I guess this was just a lot of words to say I don't know of a toyota taper mono ball pin.

HTH,

DaveW

--
    04 Apr 2013 11:31 PM
    Yeah, that sounds more sound for me. Whats a good brand of ball joints? My car only has a lower since its a mcpherson setup. I figure I can just get it tapered and make a plate to mount the ball joint to. As long as I can get 3/4 to 1" longer than my oem, which is already pretty short I think I will be set.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Apr 2013 08:47 AM
    Moog is the only way to go for suspension parts, IMO.

The stock car upper is probably closer to the size you need, http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel...,2126.html

The lower, which is I think is called a U727, is probably too big.

They also have some GM metric ones that have a bolt on flange, that might work easier with the fabricated bracket you are building.

There is a stock car parts place in High Ridge called Speed Custom and Performance. They have a lot of this stuff in stock so you could go an measure stuff and look at it. 636-677-1320

HTH,

DaveW

--
    05 Apr 2013 11:40 AM
    Thanks a lot. I will go check this all out.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button UltraRev 88x31
    Traqmate 88x31 Button RacerPartsWholesale 88X31
    Hyperfuels 88x31 Button Apex Detail Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button Winding Road 88X31
    saferacer Rugged Radio 88
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    Race-Technology SPS 88x31 Button
    HoosierTire88x31 CarboTech 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner