4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
The_Mike

--
14 Apr 2013 11:26 PM

Hello everyone!

Several years ago, I attended the odd local autocross in an old beat up MR2. Recently, I had to sell the MR2, but was still bit by the autocross bug. Today, I just competed in my first autocross with my 2011 Golf TDI daily driver, and had a blast. The LRR tires were awful, the gearing was short, but I enjoyed it immensely. Well, at least until I looked at the wear caused to my poor tires!

I'd like to purchase a second set of lighter wheels and stickyish street tires (Rivals, maybe?), but am a bit confused about the rules. My stock wheels are VW Portos, 17"x7", 54 mm offset, with a 5x112 pattern. This is an extremely uncommon size, as the vast majority (95%+) of wheels I can find in that pattern are 17"x7.5". I believe that there were optional wheels that were sold my year in the 17"x7.5" size as well as 18"x? and others (according to http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/...x112.htm), but I don't know for sure or how the Stock Class sizing works. 

Would it be H-Stock legal for me to purchase http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...howRear=no" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal;">Enkei RPF1s at 17"x7.5", 48 mm offset and 225/45R17 Rivals? Nobody seems to race TDIs, so I am having a hard time locating a source of information.

Thanks!

-Mike

Kylini

--
    15 Apr 2013 09:44 AM

You're allowed only the width and diameter that came with your car or a *complete option package* swap. If the wheels could be ordered a la carte from the factory, you can swap without any issue! If, on the other hand, the wheels were included in a performance package of sorts, you must make every change to completely swap to that package (except what you're allowed to change based on comfort and convenience). There's also a plus/minus offset allowance to make that easier.

If you 1) are legally able to swap due to a package/option for them, and 2) the offset is within the limit, you're good to go!

I'm not a VW person, but a cursory search shows 17x7.5 being stock for the 2011 TDI 2 and 4 door manuals. I'm not sure why you have 17x7.

OZMDD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Apr 2013 03:58 PM
    The simple solution is to pick up a set of oem wheels from a junkyard or CL, or pair the oversize aftermarket wheels with your DD tires. Hopefully the prevoius post is correct about 17x7.5 being a stock size.
    Knocker

--
    03 May 2013 01:18 PM
    Posted By OZMDD on 17 Apr 2013 03:58 PM
    The simple solution is to pick up a set of oem wheels from a junkyard or CL, or pair the oversize aftermarket wheels with your DD tires. Hopefully the prevoius post is correct about 17x7.5 being a stock size.

I'm not sure what CL stands for, but OZMDD has good advice.  I just bought a 2009 VW Rabbit as a DD (daily driver) and as a local autocross car.  My strategy is to buy wheels from my local VW Dealer or a junkyard.  The Dealer has VW Goal wheels, 17" X 7.5", that were a stand-alone port installed option for my 2009 Rabbit.  There was a Fast Track that defined a port installed option is a factory installed option because importers use port facilities to finish assembling vehicles before the vehicles are shipped to dealerships.  Other wheels were optional on Jettas, Golfs, GTIs, R32s, etc.  According to the Tire Rack, the 245/40R17 BFG Rival will be available May 17.  Street tire autocross classes in the Detroit area are much more popular than R-comp or slick race tire classes, so I can't wait to get them!

I've seen Jettas and Golfs autocross in the Detroit area on 245/40R17 Kumho XS or Hankook RS-3 tires, so there are other brands available.  When we multiply our (Detroit area) 0.98 street tire index factor by the PAX for HS, a good driver can compete for fastest index time of the day.  That's fun!

OZMDD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 May 2013 10:59 AM
    CL=craigslist
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner