Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
edfishjr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 May 2013 10:12 PM
Posted By Audii-Dudii on 05 May 2013 08:04 PM 
As for the main topic at hand here, I'm optimistic personally about the Cayman's chances in AS on street tires next year and even (if?) mixed with BS the year after.  I will certainly be attending a few Nationals events and fingers crossed, the Nationals themselves, in order to find out.  

Did I miss something? Aren't the class changes going to take place next year along with the switch to Street?

Audii-Dudii

--
07 May 2013 07:31 AM
Posted By edfishjr on 06 May 2013 10:12 PM
Posted By Audii-Dudii on 05 May 2013 08:04 PM 
As for the main topic at hand here, I'm optimistic personally about the Cayman's chances in AS on street tires next year and even (if?) mixed with BS the year after.  I will certainly be attending a few Nationals events and fingers crossed, the Nationals themselves, in order to find out.  

Did I miss something? Aren't the class changes going to take place next year along with the switch to Street?

The last I heard, the plan was to change the rules for 2014, let the dust settle for a bit, then shuffle classes as necessary for 2015.

cashmo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
07 May 2013 09:53 AM
There will be no major changes for Stock in 2014, although there are a few changes out for comment in recent Fastracks. Street will have it's own class listings in Appendix A which will have some changes compared to Stock. The SAC has given it's recommendation to the SEB and I believe it'll be published in the next Fastrack.
edfishjr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 May 2013 06:48 PM
Posted By cashmo on 07 May 2013 09:53 AM
There will be no major changes for Stock in 2014, although there are a few changes out for comment in recent Fastracks. Street will have it's own class listings in Appendix A which will have some changes compared to Stock. The SAC has given it's recommendation to the SEB and I believe it'll be published in the next Fastrack.
Thanks for the clarification. I've sent my letter to the SEB regarding possible AStreet/BStreet merge.

m3kerry
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 May 2013 08:21 PM
Posted By edfishjr on 07 May 2013 06:48 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I've sent my letter to the SEB regarding possible AStreet/BStreet merge.

The s2000"s will own that class

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
edfishjr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 May 2013 12:15 AM
Posted By m3kerry on 07 May 2013 08:21 PM
Posted By edfishjr on 07 May 2013 06:48 PM

That's what my letter said! But, I included data.

Audii-Dudii

--
12 May 2013 03:54 PM
Posted By Han Solo on 06 May 2013 10:11 AM
Posted By Audii-Dudii on 06 May 2013 10:04 AM

For next weekend's event, an S2000 driver and I have agreed to swap cars during the time-only fun runs at the end day.  It will be interesting to see how each of us fares in each other's car; if nothing else, it will give me some idea of the competition I may face someday...
Outstanding! Please post your experience after the event.

Alas, the car swap didn't happen yesterday.  The autocross was held on one of the road courses at Arizona Motorsports Park and the "four wheels off" rule was in effect.  Unfortunately, the driver I was going to swap with put four wheels off on his first time-only run, which ended his day, so that was that ... perhaps we'll try again at the next event?

crv

--
03 Jul 2013 11:45 AM

That's what my letter said! But, I included data.

Agreed,  the CR in A stock will be the old B stock,  it whips out all existing A stock cars.  At nationals,  five S2000CR  B stock cars  beat  A stock by a large margin. Most A stock cars would have been at the bottom half of B stock results.  

hanhenze

--
03 Jul 2013 01:25 PM

Agreed,  the CR in A stock will be the old B stock,  it whips out all existing A stock cars.  At nationals,  five S2000CR  B stock cars  beat  A stock by a large margin. Most A stock cars would have been at the bottom half of B stock results.  

Yep, so the guys that have purchased C5s and Cayman Ss will be toast. If that happens, I'll be moving to ASP in a 1st gen Boxster. It will still be brutal but at least I'll have R-compounds.

crv

--
03 Jul 2013 04:35 PM

The Mazda MX-5 07  and Solstice are toast too..  

Just a thought -  flip BS to AS  (BS was faster anyway) and add the  Maxda 07, non CR S2000 and Solstice to new BS .   Add the C5 and base Cayman's  to CS  (keeps a rivalry alive) and more importantly keeps several  cars alive a competitive.  

GlennAustin
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Jul 2013 06:13 PM
Posted By crv on 03 Jul 2013 04:35 PM

Just a thought -  flip BS to AS  (BS was faster anyway) and add the  Maxda 07, non CR S2000 and Solstice to new BS .   Add the C5 and base Cayman's  to CS  (keeps a rivalry alive) and more importantly keeps several  cars alive a competitive.  

Seriously, why the desire to keep 10-year-old cars "competitive?" Someone please explain this to me.

This attitude is *exactly* why we have 15-plus-year-old, hard-to-find, hard-to-keep, hard-to-keep-running cars as "the car to have" in the various stock classes!  New cars are classed where they won't be competitive, so we don't upset the apple cart. It's a rare person who will take the time develop one of the new cars -- so these new cars remain uncompetitively classed, and we end up with aging cars and a lack of new members. We even go as far as to protect cars that were never actually built (no A/C no sunroof MR-2s; MX-5 MS-R), or cars that never were built "in quantity" (Solstice ZOK, ITR, S2KCR), or legalizing parts for cars that come from the factory with "race-prep equipment" (Genesis 2.0T) simply because we might piss off the couple dozen or so existing owners of those cars -- who cares about pissing off the hundred or so owners of cars that have to compete against them?

Sorry for the rant, but someone please explain to me how keeping old cars competitive will do anything other than keep SCCA in the same situation we have today?

mlane350z
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 Jul 2013 10:29 PM
Posted By crv on 03 Jul 2013 04:35 PM

Barbato is the fastest guy in BS this year...and he has been getting beat regularly by TOG in A-stock at Pro's/Tours.

crv

--
07 Jul 2013 06:02 PM
Posted By mlane350z on 06 Jul 2013 10:29 PM

Barbato is the fastest guy in BS this year...and he has been getting beat regularly by TOG in A-stock at Pro's/Tours.

Sorry but  I looked briefly at all the nationwide Tours/Pro results  and could not find any AS faster than  Nick B in BS?

madame_toussleau

--
08 Jul 2013 07:59 AM
Posted By crv on 07 Jul 2013 06:02 PM
Posted By mlane350z on 06 Jul 2013 10:29 PM 

Sorry but  I looked briefly at all the nationwide Tours/Pro results  and could not find any AS faster than  Nick B in BS?

NJ Prosolo event results  Stock/Street Index 4 has AStock about a second faster than BStock (unpaxed).  And results for the Dover National Tour also has A Stock significantly ahead of B stock.

But that's on R comps - I thought this thread was about  Street tires. Doesn't everyone believe the CR will beat a Corvette on street tires?

-Barb Seeger -New England Region

RobertJ
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 Jul 2013 12:09 PM
 Doesn't everyone believe the CR will beat a Corvette on street tires?

I think the C5Z06 is going to crush the CR in the new A Street.  (Bitter CR owner)

Edit

I want a C5Z06, but I don’t want to buy a 10 year old car for 25K.   Most cars are getting close to the end of their life at 10 years.  I know you can keep a car going forever as long as you don’t mind replacing what breaks, but at some point it’s no longer worth it.

edfishjr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Jul 2013 12:34 AM
Posted By RobertJ on 08 Jul 2013 12:09 PM
 Doesn't everyone believe the CR will beat a Corvette on street tires?

I think the C5Z06 is going to crush the CR in the new A Street.  (Bitter CR owner)

Edit

I want a C5Z06, but I don’t want to buy a 10 year old car for 25K.   Most cars are getting close to the end of their life at 10 years.  I know you can keep a car going forever as long as you don’t mind replacing what breaks, but at some point it’s no longer worth it.

I disagree that it's not worth it to keep a car going after 10 years. As a general statement that's ridiculous. Corvettes regularly break no matter how old they are! (We lost a master cylinder on the Test & Tune course at Blytheville last week. 15K miles on the car. Sam Strano gave us his spare. Thanks Sam!) But, that said, you can't keep a car going at all if there aren't any replacement black boxes. (Already a major problem with 2000 model year and earlier C5's)

sjfehr
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 Jul 2013 05:58 AM
Yeah, you can keep cars going forever with enough TLC, but from a daily-driver standpoint, most cars start to lose their "I am 100% confident I will turn the key and get to work this morning" reliability at some point around the 10-15 year mark.
hklvette
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Jul 2013 09:23 AM
Posted By edfishjr on 10 Jul 2013 12:34 AM 

I disagree that it's not worth it to keep a car going after 10 years. As a general statement that's ridiculous. Corvettes regularly break no matter how old they are! (We lost a master cylinder on the Test & Tune course at Blytheville last week. 15K miles on the car. Sam Strano gave us his spare. Thanks Sam!) But, that said, you can't keep a car going at all if there aren't any replacement black boxes. (Already a major problem with 2000 model year and earlier C5's)

Who needs ABS anyway?  Your point stands though.  As long as you can get replacement parts, its almost always cheaper to keep an older car going than it is the buy a new one.  How many cars from the mid-90's that were well maintained are still running?  More than a few...

RobertJ
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Jul 2013 10:36 AM
I agree that you can keep a car going forever with TLC assuming you can get parts, but time takes its toll on parts like the interior, paint, seats, and plastic in Texas. I think it’s safe to say you will have more problems with a car after 10 years.

A C5Z06 is very tempting. I am trying hard not to get one. I just brought an new 2013 Miata RPHT before the new classing came out that I would have to sale or trade in, most likely at a lost.

Right now I don’t know what I am going to do, keep running the CR and hope I am wrong and it can keep up in A Street, run the Miata in C Street, probable not the best car either, build one of them for STR, or buy the Corvette.

That’s real good information that Corvettes older than 2000 cannot get new black boxes. I wonder how long the 2004 will be able to get them.

talon95
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
10 Jul 2013 11:57 AM

Well the C6 is in A-street too.  Of course someone has to make a tire that fits it first, but that's currently true for the C5 as well.

Dave G.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner