You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
fastmike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
26 Mar 2010 09:28 AM

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/show...hp?t=29955

Glad that they are going to UREA injection.

IanF
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Mar 2010 12:10 PM
    Wow, indeed. And I was happy when I eeked out 22 mpg in my '95 Cummins 4x4.
    l33t9eek

--
    30 Mar 2010 06:08 AM
    If it can get 25mpg highway unloaded on a regular basis it might just be my new daily driver....
    Will@SapphireRacing

--
    09 Apr 2010 05:08 AM
    Very impressive. I shouldn't care, but It's a shame the newer Ford superduties are hideously ugly.
    jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Apr 2010 05:41 AM

Will@SapphireRacing wrote:
    Very impressive. I shouldn't care, but It's a shame the newer Ford superduties are hideously ugly.

Have you seen one in person, on the ground yet? I think they look good. The pic I saw did not do them justice.

Don't forget to add 5 gallons of urea at 6 to 7 bucks a gallon to each oil change interval. When figuring mpg costs. I'd be surprised if any of the lead foot drivers on this forum will get 25mpg. :)

Jeff

Je

01 FS Z28
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    13 Apr 2010 09:57 AM

I just don't buy it. They still have to do some regeneration, though not as much/as long. They are bigger and more powerful than ever too.

If it's true, they'll sell zillions of them. But I'm sorry, I don't see it. My Mustang barely gets 25mpg on the highway. And I had a decent mileage getting diesel in my 2004.5 Cummins, I'd get about 18 empty on the highway in that and it wasn't all smogged up like my 2008 is.... we're talking like 25% better mileage.

CHRISFP78
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Apr 2010 10:19 AM

It won't get 25 but it will get 20. The urea is the big reason why. The big problem has been the NOX that a diesel engine produces when designed for mileage. Simply the cylinder pressures have to be lower to reduce the NOX to 2012 standards if you don't run urea. You reduce the cylinder pressures and the mileage goes down taking away the advantage of the diesel cycle. You might think you can get around this with a tuner, and you can to some degree by injecting the fuel sooner but your low NOX cam shaft still makes all the mileage rules.

The new Ford can produce more NOX because of the urea injection which converts the NOX to water vapor allowing them to run a better cam shaft for mileage. That's how it was explained to me any way.

There is still regen to deal with the sooting of the Diesel Particulat Filter but only 25 percent as much as the previous generation motor because of the reverse flow exhaust and turbo system on the new engine.

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Apr 2010 11:29 AM
    The trainer we had in the showroom had driven his SuperDuty about 3300 miles when he got to us. He said the best he had gotten was a bit over 18, and he said he had to baby it to get there. (driving 65 not 85) He probably only had 300 to 400lbs of cargo with him. Maybe it will do a bit better with a few more miles. ?? Like anything, if you have the pedal in the carpet the mileage will suck. I am pretty sure that it will pull anything you want and not work up a sweat. (735 ft lb) From what I've heard the new Duramax is going to sport similar numbers.
    dmitrik4
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 Apr 2010 05:37 PM

every number on this page is better than what i average commuting in my RX8.

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Apr 2010 06:01 PM
    nobody ever said the magic spinning triangles would get good milage.
    dmitrik4
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 Apr 2010 07:00 PM

jdchristianson wrote:
    nobody ever said the magic spinning triangles would get good milage.

but on the bright side i have all that nice torq--wait, what? [:D]

an autoXer friend gets 24-26 highway in his tuned 7.3 Excursion 4x4, so these numbers don't surprise me that much.

CHRISFP78
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Apr 2010 09:16 AM

How about some facts. They are comparing 2010's to a 2011 though.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011sup...efficiency

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Apr 2010 06:30 AM

Yea, the 2010, to 2011 comparison is sorta important. The real point is that the 2011's get better milage. That will be across the board I think.

Jeff Christianson

fastmike
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 May 2010 07:25 PM
    Some more info came out on how the earlier test got such good mileage. One of the Diesel mags ran a rig for a more extended test and was hovering a liittle above what I would consider "normal". Yea, better than most but no huge jump in mileage. FM
    fzust
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Jun 2010 08:12 AM
    jdchristianson wrote:

Yea, the 2010, to 2011 comparison is sorta important. The real point is that the 2011's get better milage. That will be across the board I think.

Jeff Christianson

The real question will be if GM, once they IPO, will pull the 4.5L duramax off the shelf. The reality is that any of us towing a reasonable autoX car & trailer, the load will not exceed 7-8k lbs. The 4.5L Duramax is good for 310HP and 520ft-lb. Combined with the a silverado 1500 with this motor weighing about 1000lbs LESS than a 3/4 or 1 ton, this will be the autox high-mileage truck of choice.....if only they build it.....

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner