10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Ramon

--
28 Apr 2013 12:29 PM

Greetings ,

I have noticed in my time racing that i get better and better which each successive run and my lap times improve ever so steadily. From your experiences folks what do you think is the best way to capitalize on times savings during an autocross race on the track when conditions are ideal.I try to be smooth as possible ,  tracing the best line i can .However i have not in my time have a size of track that would rigorously test my suspension.I am running a 1991 toyota corollaAE92  sedan . Its running more or less stock suspension from the Japan only AE101 Levin coupe , inclusive of the tower braces infront and the rear sway bar. For wheels i am using 15"x7" ssr competition wheels with 225/50/15 Toyo R888"s in front and Roadstone CP61's 195/50/15 in the rear. They way it is setup the car is to over steer slightly at the limit due to the less contact patch at the rear. i would love to perhaps drop tire sizes to 13"S for better gearing as the 4AGE motor I am running is a peaky high  revving son of a gun rather than a torque monster from low down. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

SVT199
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Apr 2013 02:51 PM
    Always make sure you are close to the cones and know the boundary's of your car to do so. In autocross distance is time so always drive the shortest possible line, it's not like at the race track. The slowest corners are where all the time is made or lost so concentrate on getting them right first. I try and run everything over on the inside and use the throttle to push past it just enough to miss it.
    Of course I have never won anything big so maybe I'm doing it wrong LOL.
    Ramon

--
    01 May 2013 09:14 PM
    lol hahahaha , nice to have my first reply on this forum i am trying. I autocross in the caribbean.For me its more a fact of feeling what the car is doing as you apply the maneuver> i found dick turner's information on youtube to be very good you should try looking at it .
    NIFARES

--
    29 May 2013 11:20 PM

balls out on your first run and learn to adjust quickly what the car is doing in the course. practice looking ahead and being smooth in inputs gas, steering, etc.. 

GlennAustin
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 May 2013 10:15 PM
    Remember that when you leave the line, you're losing time. Drive to lose as little time as possible.
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 May 2013 12:28 PM
    For every student I've ever taught, I tried to teach them which cones matter (eliminate all others), get all your braking done straight line (at least initially and then reintroduce trail braking) so you only ask your tires to either brake, turn or accelerate, get as close to the cones as possible (practice coming close to the edge of manhole covers on street), and ride with experienced drivers as much as possible to mimic lines and behaviors.
    NIFARES

--
    03 Jun 2013 04:38 PM
    positioning at every element is key.
    Ramon

--
    16 Jun 2013 09:17 PM

Describe trail braking in a little more detail , more or less that is using the brake as the car turns but limiting the pressure as you turn right , scrubbing the speed but not much momentum right .

Ramon

--
    16 Jun 2013 09:26 PM

Describe trail braking in a little more detail , more or less that is using the brake as the car turns but limiting the pressure as you turn right , scrubbing the speed but not much momentum right .

MY11GT

--
    06 Jul 2013 12:28 AM
    If your turning already isnt that the wrong time to be on the brake but need to be starting on accelerating instead? I am probably wrong but just the way it makes sence in my brain.
    btwyx

--
    06 Jul 2013 03:39 PM
    It depends. Trail braking transfers weight to the front, which allows greater turning effort from the front tires, it also unloads the rear tires which can cause them to break free which is either a spin or an aid to rotation (which ever way you want to look at it). Acceleration transfers weight to the rear tires, which promotes understeer, so you can't get round the corner quick enough.

It also depends on the power of the car. In a higher power car you might gain an advantage by braking and slowing more, turning quicker and getting on the throttle sooner. In a lower power car you might find a more gentle approach and carrying more speed works better.

Getting on the power sooner will in general be an advantage, but trail braking definitely has its place.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner