Posted By glueguy on 30 Apr 2013 11:43 PM
Just jumped in - bought a Gillard chassis KT100 for FJA. New to 2 cycle racing. Can someone help me with some baseline questions? Local autox is decent asphalt, smallish lot so planning 40-50MPH max (at least until he gets way more comfortable driving). I know about EKN and will go there for general advice, but for autox specific what are thoughts on these for getting started on the learning curve:
1. Max rpm - 14000?
2. Tire pressure - 14 all around?
3. Carb settings - L 2 turns out, H 1 turn out?
4. Clutch engagement - 9500-10500 rpm?
5. Muffler - 4 hole can - are there any autox tricks to quiet these a little?
6. Carb or other tricks to help prevent stall other than learn to stand on the gas?
I'm sure others can help, but I'll try.
- 14,000 rpm is a good gearing target.
- Tire pressure varies in JA from 12-18psi.
- Carb setting 1 3/4 - 2 1/4 low, 1/8 - 1/4high. Lower setting when the motor is cold 1st run, turn it richer once it heats up.
- Clutch 9,000 - 9,500.
- 4 hole Muffler, put a hose clamp around the screws to keep them from falling out. No way to quiet it.
- No reason for the carb to stall the motor. Although the carb idle adjustment won't keep the motor running, just set the throttle pedal/cable stop to the desire idle speed, ~3,000rpm +.
Hope this helps!