Flipping BFG Rivals?
 16 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
crv

--
29 May 2013 12:20 AM

Has anyone tried reversing them? I dont think its recommended so mine will be done shortly.   I have had mine for awhile, maybe 55 laps and they  are looking just like hoosiers with the outer edges all removed and are going to cord well before the rest of the tire.  At least the Hoosiers you can flip.  Side topic - Only .8 neg (my car)  is JUST not enough for any tire for autox.   We need  camber allowances for the camber challenged cars.     

porphyre

--
    29 May 2013 10:24 AM
    sirele
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 May 2013 11:03 AM
    Posted By crv on 29 May 2013 12:20 AM

Has anyone tried flipping them? I dont think its recommended so They will be done very shortly.   I have had mine for awhile, maybe 55 laps and they have are looking just like hoosiers with the outer edges all removed and are going to cord well before the rest of the tire.  At least the Hoosiers you can flip.  Only .8 neg is JUST not enough for any tire for autox.   We need  CAMBERPLATES.    

55 runs and almost corded? Wow! Are you rotating them around? What kind of car are you driving and what size tire? I guess before throwing them away you could flip them and see how they do, but the inner edge will be gone even faster than the outer edge. As you will lose the support and the wrap around tread.

http://granturismomagazine.com/tech...rce-rival/

BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 May 2013 12:21 PM
    Wow, I ran stock for years in a car that had -0.6* camber in the front and I got decent wear from victoracers. I guess those old r-comps were a lot more durable than these new "street" tires.
    crv

--
    29 May 2013 12:57 PM

I have not rotated them, but will for this weekend.  18's / 245 square on a Boxster.  I do like this tire. 

CSP21
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 May 2013 11:53 PM

Strange. After 55 runs, my Z1s looked pretty good without rotation (235/265) on my 986S. Did you possibly not set the front camber to the max (around -1)?

EDIT: BFG engineers confirmed you can flip it

crv

--
    30 May 2013 02:11 AM
    Front is maxed at .8-1 neg. Rear is doing the same and it has almost +1 more neg. (but for about 12-14 laps I was consistently sliding the rear of the car in very high speed sweepers ( higher than autox speeds) plus it was a rough surface )
    fastmike
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 May 2013 10:06 PM
    Yes. They can be flipped. Surprised you are only getting that many runs. I have 225's on a no camber front wheel drive car that weighs close to or over 4000 lbs and haven't seen wear like that?
    What kind of sites are you running?
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 May 2013 05:56 PM
    Ummmm - aren't they asymmetrical? (Insert hint of rhetorical question here.)
    Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Jun 2013 04:09 AM
    Apocalypse!

Flaming Death!

Cats and Dogs sleeping-together!

sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Jun 2013 09:45 AM
    Posted By crv on 29 May 2013 12:20 AM

Has anyone tried reversing them? I dont think its recommended so mine will be done shortly.   I have had mine for awhile, maybe 55 laps and they  are looking just like hoosiers with the outer edges all removed and are going to cord well before the rest of the tire.  At least the Hoosiers you can flip.  Side topic - Only .8 neg (my car)  is JUST not enough for any tire for autox.   We need  camber allowances for the camber challenged cars.     

For curiosity's sake, how is the BFG running compared to other UHP street tires you've driven on that track?  What pressures were you running at?  I agree with you about camber, though; I can only get -0.5 in the front and it's awful.  Should be a crime to cripple a sports car like that.
    TrqlessWonder

--
    03 Jun 2013 09:19 AM
    Have you tried complaining to Porsche about the lack of adjustability?
    porphyre

--
    03 Jun 2013 10:48 AM
    Why would they? It's easier to complain to the SCCA to get the rules changed so that their cars will work better against cars who's manufacturers already provide such options.
    TrqlessWonder

--
    04 Jun 2013 05:13 AM
    Because the SCCA aren't the folks who decided not to provide factory-approved camber adjustment methods. Porsche committed that "crime."
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Jun 2013 05:47 AM
    Oh, Porsche knows exactly what they're doing, and did intentionally, either for liability or marketing or a combination of the two (gotta keep 911 faster than Boxster and GT3 faster than Carrera S! And gotta keep those trophy wives out of ditches!). Besides, it's too late for any Porsche already built anyhow. And this problem is not restricted just to Porsche; it's a common problem popping up from a lot of marques in these threads.  Autocross potential is just not a concern from most manufacturers.
    porphyre

--
    04 Jun 2013 10:41 AM
    What a strange concept.... some cars are better suited to autocross than others. Who'da'thunkit?

I think we should let EVERYONE have whatever camber adjustment they want, even if their factory service manuals don't specify it. And, since autocrossing is more "fun" than not-autocrossing, I think we should also add extra allowances to the roll-over risk cars... nothing major, just lowering springs and sway-bars at both ends. I mean, just because Fiat decided the 500 should be tall and roll-overy doesn't mean the owners of those cars shouldn't have a competitive "Street" class to have "fun" in. It's obviously not the owners' fault that autocrossing isn't a concern for Fiat. Let's change the rules and let them have "fun" too!
    Davidss
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Jun 2013 11:21 AM
    I got some wear like that on some before I got the setup better dialed in. Yes they can be flipped and work just fine reversed.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner