You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
47CP
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Jun 2013 09:02 PM
Yep, missed that. You win. We won't go into the "huge weight change" in 2005 that was just adding the driver...

I do agree the classes are wacky and so is the rule book. I should have said that before.

I guess no one knows yet, but I am wondering if the 818 can be gotten down to 1500lbs-ish with the 2.0l turbo motor?

Or 1600 with a larger motor?

One the 818 is in actual production, I wouldn't anticipate a problem with it being approved for D-E mod. I don't know the standards for kit cars in XP, but I suspect that they are much stricter, so I have no idea if it will also get approved there.

DaveW
Grintch
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
18 Jun 2013 09:46 PM
IIRC correctly DM was 1000lb without driver, that went to 1420lb for a modified tub 2L LL7 with a slight rear weight bias. Even I am not that fat.

The EM changes were not as drastic, and for the smaller displacement, no modified tub cars was basicly adding the weight of the driver to the old without driver minimum weight. A bigger engined car with a mod tub, the right weight bias had to add about another 200lb. Rather a big deal on a 1500lb dry car.

But overall I liked the change in weight, I did not like seeing motorcycle engines being outlawed just as bike engined cars were catching on with the Locost and kit car communities.

As for kits in XP, I would like to see standards, rather than backroom deals to allow some while excluding others. They probably have some, but I hate unwritten rules.
Robert Puertas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
18 Jun 2013 10:34 PM
I would think XP would be ok with a "high production" kit car, which any Factory Five kit will certainly be, so long as it is bigger and heavier (ie: more than 1.8 liters FI) than a supercharged Elise, and doesn't exhibit some element of it's design that is otherwise more race-car-like than an Elise. So, no Radicals or X-bows or Atoms or Sevens or Beck 550s.
t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
19 Jun 2013 07:15 AM
So, If you have it right, and I hope you do, using the normally aspirated engine might be competitive in D mod? Up to 2 liters is it?
47CP
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Jun 2013 09:52 AM
Posted By t walgamuth on 19 Jun 2013 07:15 AM
So, If you have it right, and I hope you do, using the normally aspirated engine might be competitive in D mod? Up to 2 liters is it?

All depends on the final weight on the 818, the overall dimensions and your definition of competitive, IMO.

Can it get down to 1200-1300lbs?   The 1420 for DM is with driver. 

In both classes, it *might* have trouble getting enough rear weight bias and might be too large of a footprint to be competitive (funny that I say that) for the top spots. 

I hope that it is able to be competitive in either class, we need the new blood and the cars are cool.

DaveW

FritzSpeed

--
19 Jun 2013 11:06 AM
I sat in the 818R at Carlisle last month, and it is much bigger than the top EM cars, and bigger than my XP MGB (with a 55" minimum track width). It's well executed, and a very cool track day car, but I can't see it being competitive nationally in EM.

Joe
t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
19 Jun 2013 11:39 AM
From what I have seen and read I don't imagine it can get to 1300#.

We may need to lobby to get into CS. (joke).
47CP
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Jun 2013 12:19 PM

On street tires....

DaveW

Grintch
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Jun 2013 03:43 PM

Posted By <span class='af-profile-name'>Robert Puertas</span> on 18 Jun 2013 10:34 PM
I would think XP would be ok with a "high production" kit car, which any Factory Five kit will certainly be, so long as it is bigger and heavier (ie: more than 1.8 liters FI) than a supercharged Elise, and doesn't exhibit some element of it's design that is otherwise more race-car-like than an Elise. So, no Radicals or X-bows or Atoms or Sevens or Beck 550s.

Why no 7's or 550s? Both have high production for a kit. And both are based on 50+ year old technology.
t walgamuth
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
19 Jun 2013 07:58 PM
From what I have seen and read I don't imagine it can get to 1300#.

Robert Puertas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
19 Jun 2013 10:10 PM
Posted By Grintch on 19 Jun 2013 03:43 PM

Posted By Robert Puertas on 18 Jun 2013 10:34 PM

Why no 7's or 550s? Both have high production for a kit. And both are based on 50+ year old technology.

Too small and light for XP.  Or at least that's the impression I was given...  Things change though as members on the various committees change.  So who knows?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner