Quietest Extreme Performance tire?
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ubersoph

--
06 Jun 2013 05:39 PM

Title says it all. I like my star specs a lot but they have gotten really noisy in about 4000 miles. Since this is a dual purpose car that is both being daily driven and taken to events, I'm looking for a tire that is similar in performance characteristics to the star specs but is not as loud on highway trips.

If there is no such animal then I'll keep rocking these. If there is though I'd love to hear about it. Are the Rivals any quieter? Is the Continental DW close enough that I could get by on that for local events? Yokohama AD08s?

engineered

--
    06 Jun 2013 05:43 PM
    I had the same complaints with my Star Specs Z1's, so I ended up getting another set of rims and put Conti DW on them. No where near the dry performance, but very quite compared to Z1's. I might use the DW's for autoX if there is a very wet event.
    edfishjr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Jun 2013 12:23 AM
    I think the AD08's are faster than the Star Spec 1. I'd say they were quiet until 60% gone. Both were dangerously lacking in grip for street driving below 40F.
    The Conti DW's I have now on my Corvette are 40% left in front and 20% left in the rear... about to be replaced. They are still incredibly quiet and smooth, but def slower than the Star Specs. I've auto-crossed them in the dry several times, always placing further down the order than when I'd be on AD08's.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Jun 2013 09:03 AM

Michelin Pilot PS2 and Pilot Sport are probably your best bets for low road noise, but they're not really in the same level of competition as Rival and ZII. They're not slow tires by any mean, but you'll be giving up some speed.  If you want to be fast for autocross, you have to compromise somewhere.  For most of us, tire noise is a non-issue; I've driven star specs to the cords many times and never once been bothered by the noise.  There may be a harmonic issue with some sizes or cars, as some people complain but others hear nothing it all.  ZII is noticeably louder for me, even at full tread.

ubersoph

--
    07 Jun 2013 04:24 PM
    Posted By sjfehr on 07 Jun 2013 09:03 AM

There may be a harmonic issue with some sizes or cars, as some people complain but others hear nothing it all.  ZII is noticeably louder for me, even at full tread.

I guess the BRZ is one of those cars that gets harmonic issues, at least in 215/45. I can't really have a conversation with my passenger easily at highway speeds, after 60ish runs and 5000 miles. 

Any word on Rivals being quite as loud?

Otherwise I might just try getting the yokohamas next time around. Thanks for all the input guys.

Impala SS AutoXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Jun 2013 05:13 PM
    Posted By ubersoph on 07 Jun 2013 04:24 PM
    Posted By sjfehr on 07 Jun 2013 09:03 AM

There may be a harmonic issue with some sizes or cars, as some people complain but others hear nothing it all.  ZII is noticeably louder for me, even at full tread.

I guess the BRZ is one of those cars that gets harmonic issues, at least in 215/45. I can't really have a conversation with my passenger easily at highway speeds, after 60ish runs and 5000 miles. 

Any word on Rivals being quite as loud?

Otherwise I might just try getting the yokohamas next time around. Thanks for all the input guys.

In my car (2012 Genesis Coupe, 245/45R19 Zii all around) there is a noticable harmonic.  Strangely enough, it is somewhat loud around 50-60 MPH but actually quiets back down around 70-75 MPH.   Solution, go over 70 MPH 

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner