Blytheville Summer Nationals
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mt. Everett

--
10 Jun 2013 09:59 PM

I need to take some time off from work, so I'm thinking about making the trip to Blytheville in July and staying for the whole event.  I'll be on a budget and know pretty much nothing at the moment about national events. 

There is ProSolo practice and registration on the 3rd, ProSolo event the 4th and 5th, and a Championship Tour on the 6th and 7th. 

So, I'm sure there are lots of questions I don't even know I have yet, but for starters: can anyone compete in both of those events?  Do they allow people to camp on-site?  Are there any odd rules that I need to look out for?   I know that several of you have been there before and I'd like to hear your thoughts, advice, etc., on anything and everything. 

Thanks!

Everett Gooch

cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11 Jun 2013 08:44 AM

Yes, you can enter both events.  Reading the Pro Solo rule book would be a good place to start.  SCCA members get a discount when booking Choice Hotels (Quality Inn's ok) but onsite tent camping has been allowed in the past.  Have fun!

Jeff

edrice

--
    12 Jun 2013 07:08 PM
    A lot of people do stay on site but mostly in motor homes. Don't remember seeing any tents but that doesn't mean they are not allowed.
    Not sure what arrangements there are for showering. There are several buildings on the old air base and they may open one for bathroom use. Best to contact Corey Pettett with the Arkansas SCCA and find out. Make sure you are up to date with safety and helmut.

Lots of concrete with long free flowing courses. The pace is fast, a car starts every 20 seconds so there are usually 3 on course at a time. Got to hustle when shagging cones.

Many National Champion top notch divers with well prepared cars will be there. Most all are more than willing to give advice and help. I plan to do the Tour and have the lofty goal of not finishing last.
    Milan

--
    12 Jun 2013 09:29 PM
    Everett, come on down ! And sweat with the rest of us. There is camping on site. Its at the entrance to the site across from the fire station. I've camped and I've showered at the fire house. No guarantees about the shower but definitely the camping. No odd rules. Being in Blytheville is odd enough. Get pre-registered and get there. We, Arkansas Region, will help with whatever we can.
    Mt. Everett

--
    13 Jun 2013 10:46 AM
    Thanks guys! That's pretty much exactly what I needed to hear. The rule book link is great. With my "prepared" car being so under-prepared, I'm already bracing for the worst. Those other DP guys are going to crush me; but I'm fine with that. I'm really just looking forward to a week of racing and learning. I've been working on a concept with my open trailer to turn it into a big tent and awning made for cooking and hammocking. We'll see how it goes. It's also good to know about the firehouse. If that doesn't work out, truck stops always have showers.

amh312

--
    26 Jun 2013 10:16 PM
    Glad to know I won't be the only other one with the goal of not finishing last! This will be my first tour as well.

-Aaron
    DJF1GP
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Jun 2013 12:09 PM

Don't have any prosolo experience but did do a few tours with the focus. As far as going to have a good time, it works just like a regional autox, just a lot more people and a lot better organization. They hold firm to their schedule, run order, etc. There are a few rules that I struggle to remember that aren't really reinforced here but are at a tour. Like if you can't run when it's your turn, you can lose that run after a certain amount of time, (i may be off on that best to re-read the solo rule book).

As far as going to compete, biggest adjustment is only 3 runs per day. Make sure to at least get one clean run in Saturday to at least give yourself a chance on Sunday. Walk the course as many times as you can and take good notes. You won't have time to learn the course by driving, you need to be on pace the first lap.

-Daniel

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner