Vorshlag 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 16 Jun 2013 05:03 PM by  rccardude04
Roll Cage, Roll Bar, Roll... something??
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rccardude04

--
14 Jun 2013 01:10 AM

I have a 1994 Miata that's currently 100% national-level legal in STR. I know it's not exactly going to be winning nationals regardless of who is behind the wheel, but I like to stick to the ruleset and I have it. So that's where I'm at. :p

However, I'm trying to prepare it for some dual-use stuff like track days/HPDEs as well as solo. And there's always that off chance that it'll turn into a real racecar some day... who knows. Plus I'd feel safer with a bar or cage in the car just on the highway, especially with how people around here drive...

Anyway, I've read through the rollcage/rollbar rules a couple times now and am a little confused. The way it looks to me is that you can either weld or bolt in a rollbar that's got a specified tube thickness and some other critical dimensions, or you can build a rollcage per the CGR.

To me this means that if I have anything but a bar as specified in the solo rulebook, I have to have a FULL CGR cage, which includes door bars and the like. However, STR rules don't exactly have an allowance for removing half of the door. So it's a bit of a problem. I'd also like to drive the car to work occasionally since it's still street legal, and is quite fun on the street with a few cool corners on the way to and from work.

Anyway, is there an allowance or way to interpret the rules that allows a partial CGR cage without the door bars? Or am I stuck with the black/white option of one or the other?

Thanks,

-Eric
    kb_solo2
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Jun 2013 02:05 AM
    Just do a legal welded in rollbar, most of the safety, with less weight
    rccardude04

--
    14 Jun 2013 07:25 AM
    That does make sense for now, but I would really like the ability to add onto the bar at a later date to make a cage if necessary. The CGR rules allow for thinner and smaller diameter tubing that would be lighter than a cage that's half solo rollbar and half CGR-spec cage.

That's the main reason I'd rather do a partial cage compared with the rollbar; so I don't end up with a super heavy cage in the event that it turns into a road race car and I have more bars added onto it.

If it comes down to a compromise though, that's probably the best solution, utilizing a Solo bar with the rest of the cage built around it.

Thanks for the reply,

-Eric
    RobertJ
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Jun 2013 03:49 PM

In stock and ST a roll cage does not have to meet GCR, but it is recommended.

13.2.I.2

2. Roll cages may be added. It is strongly recommended that roll

cages be constructed according to the Club Racing GCR, though

they must be bolted (not welded) into the automobile and be contained

within the driver/passenger compartment. A roll cage has

more than four attachment points to the body or frame or has

bracing both fore and aft of the main hoop.

Appendix C

H. Roll Cages

It is recommended but not mandatory that all cars utilize a roll cage as

defined in the applicable section of the Club Racing GCR.

rccardude04

--
    15 Jun 2013 04:55 PM
    Ah! For some reason I was going straight to Appendix C and skipped the Stock and ST regulation entirely. And for some reason I had read it as a requirement that all cages are built per GCR. I really need to stop doing racecar research at 2:30 in the morning then asking stupid questions about it 3 weeks later... Thanks.

I'm assuming that drilling holes and cutting interior panels to allow for a rollcage installation is permissible? I don't see any limitation on points, but I'm guessing 6 is pretty standard... I find it interesting that they let you weld in a bar, but the cage must be bolted in.

Now that I've read it on a weekend at a reasonable time of day, it sounds like my best option will likely be to build the rear hoop of a GCR cage welded in so that when I decide to bump up to either time trials or actual road racing, I can finish the cage (or have it finished rather) and not have to worry about it being too heavy.

This is exactly what I was hoping I'd find. Thanks!

-Eric
    Kylini

--
    16 Jun 2013 02:18 PM
    If it's a 4-point frame contact or fewer, you can weld or bolt. If it's more than 4, you have to bolt it in only. Holes to allow for tubing, attachment, etc. in your trim are permitted, especially considering you're adding a healthy amount of weight to compensate!

STR seems to be the perfect Miata dual use class. Proper race seats to go with your roll bar is always a good thing.
    rccardude04

--
    16 Jun 2013 05:03 PM
    Posted By Kylini on 16 Jun 2013 02:18 PM
    If it's a 4-point frame contact or fewer, you can weld or bolt. If it's more than 4, you have to bolt it in only. Holes to allow for tubing, attachment, etc. in your trim are permitted, especially considering you're adding a healthy amount of weight to compensate!

STR seems to be the perfect Miata dual use class. Proper race seats to go with your roll bar is always a good thing.

Makes sense. I guess it's probably to keep you from adding too much rigidity with the cage. I can understand that. Once it needs a cage, I'll probably be classed in CSP or higher anyway. I see that SP allows weld-in cages, so it works out perfect!

I'm planning on seats at the same time. It'll be a big huge hurt on the checkbook. At least the driver's side seat and harness along with the rollbar... Bring the Vaseline!

-Eric

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner