Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Cheyne
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
08 Jul 2013 10:56 AM

Saw this over on the GT and Prod sites.  Speculation is Laguna Seca for 2014.  I sure hope not.  

MEDIA ADVISORY

What: Sports Car Club of America Club Racing National Championship Runoffs announcement

Who: SCCA President & CEO Jeff Dahnert

Where: Online at www.SpeedcastTV.com. Links also available at www.scca.com.

When: Wednesday, July 10, at 2:15 p.m. EDT (11:15 a.m. PDT)

Sports Car Club of America President and CEO Jeff Dahnert will be making a historic announcement detailing the location of the SCCA National Championship Runoffs for 2014 through 2016. The announcement will stream live to media and the public on www.SpeedCastTV.com. Links to the feed will also be available on the morning of July 10 on SCCA.com.

Contact: Reece White, SCCA Public Relations Manager, rwhite@scca.com, 800-770-2055
    Scotty B
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Jul 2013 12:02 PM

That would be AWESOME!!! 

BillSeifert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Jul 2013 12:32 PM
    Good Lord, why the heck not? Laguna Seca is one of the premier tracks in the United States. I know it's a long tow for the East Coast guys, but it's not a lot farther that West Coast to Daytona, which is one of the places the Runoffs started. Think of Washington State to Road Atlanta or Mid Ohio for about a zillion years.

Bill Seifert
    Cheyne
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Jul 2013 02:08 PM
    Well I personally believe if the Runoffs are held in California, no matter the track, there will be under 300 entries. The vast majority of the SCCA is in the Northeast, Southeast and Central/Great Lakes Divisions. If the numbers on the west coast equaled the number on the east coast I could see it, but they don't. What I see happening is the majority of people that do the Runoffs will sit out a year and wait for it to move which with the new financial model for the Runoffs could cripple the SCCA.

Would I go? I might, but I would first see where NASA is holding their Championship first and if it is closer I would run over there.

Cheyne
    dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Jul 2013 03:34 PM
    Cheyne, you don't think the Runoffs spending the last umpteen million years on the east sideofthe country has anything to do with where the majority of drivers reside?
    Laguna won't work because there is no paddock space. Not to mention the sound rules.
    jkach

--
    09 Jul 2013 06:04 PM
    COTA, and it will be the only SCCA event held there all season to help level the playing field.
    fatbillybob
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Jul 2013 10:32 PM
    Posted By jkach on 09 Jul 2013 06:04 PM
    COTA, and it will be the only SCCA event held there all season to help level the playing field.

I guess we find out Wednesday.  But if COTA they will have to clean some house.  This years COTA event was quite a cluster!
    cdbmathews

--
    09 Jul 2013 10:55 PM
    The paddock at Laguna is small, the walls are close and the runoff is gravel. If the Runoffs are at Laguna it will be a complete mess with a lot of camage and yellow flags. Even though it's only 5 hours tow, I wouldn"t even consider to go. COTA or Miller would be much better choices. In my opinion, the only logical choice is COTA, that's a world-class facility and it brings serious mainstream credibility to the event. Laguna is best left to motorcycles. My 2c.
    dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Jul 2013 11:53 PM
    Although Miller is an excellent facility I am not thrilled with the track layout. However, it does have the advantage of being the only track that can host the Runoffs simultaneously with the Runoffs.

By that I mean you could run the east and west loops at the same time and collapse 2 days of racing into one. Run all the smallbore cars and formula stuff on the short courses and then one day of the big course would satisfy all the big bore junkies that complained about HPT.
    fatbillybob
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jul 2013 12:54 AM
    Posted By Chuck Mathews on 09 Jul 2013 10:55 PM
    The paddock at Laguna is small, the walls are close and the runoff is gravel. If the Runoffs are at Laguna it will be a complete mess with a lot of camage and yellow flags. Even though it's only 5 hours tow, I wouldn"t even consider to go. COTA or Miller would be much better choices. In my opinion, the only logical choice is COTA, that's a world-class facility and it brings serious mainstream credibility to the event. Laguna is best left to motorcycles. My 2c.
    COTA is cool.  How the track is run is not either on or off the track.  If the March SCCA event is any indication of what a Runoffs at  COTA could be like do yourself a favor and save your money.  I'm not crazy talk to Kyle.  OTOH the Texas Bar-Be-Que is pretty awesome!

gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Jul 2013 01:53 PM
    So what went wrong with the March race at COTA?
    Cheyne
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Jul 2013 02:28 PM
    Laguna Seca, Daytona, Mid-Ohio
    gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Jul 2013 02:33 PM
    So what do all you road racers think of Daytona as a Runoffs venue?
    Cheyne
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Jul 2013 03:03 PM
    I like Daytona so I'm for it, well except for the security folks.

Cheyne
    twin_turborx7
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Jul 2013 04:02 PM
    Posted By gary p on 10 Jul 2013 01:53 PM
    So what went wrong with the March race at COTA?

What went RIGHT is a better question. That entire event was a SH** show.

Never again, even if it was free (my opinion) but those that went that are used to racing at real events would say the same and have.  It was a joke.

BillSeifert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jul 2013 05:28 PM
    I've heard a lot about Laguna, but have never been there. The Porsche Club did their Brian Redman Reunion last year or the year before at Laguna. Does anyone know how that went? I did the Reunion in Daytona in 2004 and there were a zillion entries. (110 in my run group.) If Laguna can handle that, then the Runoffs should be no problem. I like Daytona. But the last time I was there (2008) I hit one of their electric gates, and bent it in half with my trailer. While I was in the track office making arrangements to pay for it, I heard they had their Security SWAT team looking for me. When they heard I wasn't making a break for I 95, they were nice about it.

Bill
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Jul 2013 06:07 PM
    I Like The Diversity Personally.

Dave
    dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11 Jul 2013 12:42 AM
    You haven't lived until you have dealt with SCRAMP. They rule Laguna with an iron fist.
    Olitho
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Jul 2013 02:12 AM
    Posted By Cheyne on 09 Jul 2013 02:08 PM
    Well I personally believe if the Runoffs are held in California, no matter the track, there will be under 300 entries. The vast majority of the SCCA is in the Northeast, Southeast and Central/Great Lakes Divisions. If the numbers on the west coast equaled the number on the east coast I could see it, but they don't. What I see happening is the majority of people that do the Runoffs will sit out a year and wait for it to move which with the new financial model for the Runoffs could cripple the SCCA.

Would I go? I might, but I would first see where NASA is holding their Championship first and if it is closer I would run over there.

Cheyne

I was at a Sonoma regional race last year that had over 300 entries all by itself....

There are plenty of racers out this way.  You just don't know it because most of them don't trek 40 hour drives to the tracks that have hosted the Runoffs the past FIVE decades...!

clubracer6

--
    15 Jul 2013 03:38 PM

I must say, I am pretty happy with this development!  I have been wanting to get out of racing for a while, but this certainly renewed my interest.  If I can get my GT2 sold after the season, I will be looking at a slower car (T3/T4) so I can run Majors at Sebring, COTA, Sprints and then Laguna. Sounds like a fun year, even if I am going slower.

I have turned a wheel and attended a couple of Majors weekends now, or listened to them on-line live. I think they are pretty cool events and now the Runoffs moving around really makes the whole thing a bit more special IMO.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner