Got a 3D printer have a couple of projects for the car
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
lightisfast

--
19 Jul 2013 03:03 PM

As some of you might have noticed at Turfway, I got a Solidoodle 3 and my first project was to get my tablet mounted to the roll bar so it could be forward looking and get good video with Solo Storm.  I probably overdid it a bit, but it is important to have a solid design for this as it is using the internal accelerometer too.

[URL=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/viars3/media/Solidoodle/IMG_20130703_194735s.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/viars3/media/Solidoodle/IMG_20130703_194749s.jpg.html][/URL]

Unfortunately this was quite a bit of plastic and 24 hours of print time.  A little bit too much time and material in it.

lycanthrope

--
    19 Jul 2013 04:13 PM
    It looks really nice. A friend of mine was telling me about how 3d printers work and I'm really excited to see one being used in his way. How long did it take to design that?
    lightisfast

--
    19 Jul 2013 06:34 PM
    Posted By lycanthrope on 19 Jul 2013 04:13 PM
    It looks really nice. A friend of mine was telling me about how 3d printers work and I'm really excited to see one being used in his way. How long did it take to design that?

Well I am very familiar with drafting back from school days so really the design took about 3-4 hours.  Probably spent at least 6 hours with the printer as this was early on and I didn't want to abandon it too much.

The other big project has been some custom spring adapters.  The ones you can buy are centered, while the shock/spring is not centered in the body (RX-8 has the same issue).  I ran with these at Turfway.  Some cracks developed around the peak stress areas where the spring coil sticks out, but overall they are working.

lycanthrope

--
    19 Jul 2013 07:51 PM
    how bad are the cracks/how long do you think they will last?
    lightisfast

--
    19 Jul 2013 08:11 PM
    Posted By lycanthrope on 19 Jul 2013 07:51 PM
    how bad are the cracks/how long do you think they will last?

Really weren't bad because its all in compression in the way it cracked.  I remade one to be completely solid and changed the surface the spring was on to make it more the angle it was at to see how that works.  The other I repaired a bit with ABS melted in acetone and going to keep running it.

mdavis

--
    21 Jul 2013 01:19 PM
    What all materials can you use in your printer? And how big is the print volume? 3-d printers are awesome, to say the least. Having the capability to make parts that aren't otherwise manufacturable is quite cool.

Also, since it doesn't look like your spring is ground flat on the end, you're probably going to have stress cracks until you match the spring profile with your spring seat.
    lightisfast

--
    23 Jul 2013 08:48 PM

The printer uses ABS, just look up the solidoodle 3 for more info if you are curious.  There are similar ones out there but one of the cheaper ones.

The spring is flat, just still not perfect.  I am trying with a solid fill and it seems ok so far.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner