Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jdchristianson
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Jul 2013 08:39 PM

Is anyone using a TPMS system on their trailer that you either love or hate?

I getting a new trailer and thinking about one, but have no experience and wonder how well they work.

It would be nice to know before the tire is flying in chunks down the road.

vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Jul 2013 07:20 PM
    Do they make one specifically for trailers? I've seen cheap aftermarket systems listed on Amazon for cars, but never thought about using one on the trailer until you just pointed out the obvious need for this feature.....
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    31 Jul 2013 06:57 PM
    In another online forum that I read, someone just posted that they installed a TST tire pressure monitoring system on their 5th wheel toy hauler.  It reads both temperature and pressure, so they can spot a tire going down before it ruptures and tears sheet metal.  TST has two different models and not quite glowing reviews on Amazon, and aren't the cheapest TPMS by a long shot.  I'll try to get details about which unit and what sensors this person had good luck with.....

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Aug 2013 08:16 AM
    I have looked online and found a number of diff systems. I only know one person that has used one with mixed results at best. His had a tendency to be out of range and drop signals.

I was hoping to hear more first hand reviews and experiences with these systems before spending a couple hundred bucks or so.

Jeff Christianson
    ACM
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Aug 2013 06:34 PM
    I have been looking at these too, but for every good review there's an equally bad review next in line, so choosing which system to employ seems like a drunken game of pin the tail on the donkey. And no, I don't know anyone who uses an aftermarket TPMS.
    kb_solo2
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Aug 2013 07:54 PM
    I have the Pressure Pro system and it has worked great for my application... Initially I had issues with the sensors dropping off, but since I got the head unit and antenna mounted up on the dash, it has worked flawlessly.
    ACM
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Aug 2013 05:35 PM
    I just went for the TST 507 system, I'll let you know how disappointed I am once I've installed it :-)
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Aug 2013 08:17 PM
    The person with the post in another forum that I posted about above bought the 6-tire TST 507 system, with flow-through sensors. He also bought the repeater, just in case he needed it. The one caveat is that you need to run all metal valve stems with external sensors, as the centrifugal force of the sensor on a spinning wheel at highway speeds causes rubber valve stems to bend too much.

I will likely be following you with a TST 507 system and 8 sensors in a few weeks, four for the trailer and four for the truck. I was also thinking about putting sensors on both the truck and trailer spare tires, just so that I know they are inflated before I need them. At $50/sensor, I might not do that right away though.....
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner