The Return of the F1 Thread
 15 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
lycanthrope

--
23 Aug 2013 10:14 PM

new forum new thread. i dont remember where we left off but im pretty damn excited we are finally over the damn summer break. also very interested to see who is replacing Webber....

also i just read the New Jersey gp isn't going to happen now....wtf

hklvette
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Aug 2013 09:07 AM
    Posted By lycanthrope on 23 Aug 2013 10:14 PM

new forum new thread. i dont remember where we left off but im pretty damn excited we are finally over the damn summer break. also very interested to see who is replacing Webber....

also i just read the New Jersey gp isn't going to happen now....wtf

New Jersey GP?  Too much red tape in the way.  I'll be amazed if it happens EVER.

lnfftw2

--
    26 Aug 2013 10:45 AM
    I am so glad the summer break is over, that was the longest three weeks of the summer. I am very interested to watch yesterday's race after work. We didn't get to watch it yesterday since we were out racing. I think the rest of the season will be very interesting to watch. My bet is still on Vettel for championship number four.
    lycanthrope

--
    26 Aug 2013 09:06 PM

i agree its a long shot but someday if somebody with enough money were to step up it could happen. on a more realistic note i think Watkins Glen or VIR are still an option or what about going back to Indy....i just want something closer than texas that i dont need a passport to go to. 

mdavis

--
    26 Aug 2013 11:47 PM
    Given Vettel's pace at Spa, I think that Red Bull is in good shape for the rest of the year, even if they do not update the car anymore. It's hard to judge Ferrari's pace, given Alonzo's ability to make anything fast and Massa still struggling. Mercedes seems to still be struggling with tire wear, but things look like they're going better. Mclaren still seems to be lacking pace, although the upgrades seem to have helped a lot for Button. I think we'll see better when weather doesn't have as much impact on qualifying. Lotus seems to be plugging away nice and consistently, although it looked like the weather caught them out in qualifying. They had to push the cars back into the garage to change the tires, and I think it was Kimi that missed the finish line by like 3-5 seconds in Q3 to get another full lap (he would have been the last one to make a lap, right behind Hamilton). If they would have had tires ready, and just slapped them on and went, they could have made the finish line for another lap and been in much better shape.

I think it will almost be more entertaining to see what happens with who is driving what car next year. Massa needs to step his game up to keep his ride, although I'd love to see his performance slide and another driver end up in the 2nd Ferrari. Riccardo seemed to be smiling a whole lot in the post race interviews, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was close to a deal for the 2nd Red Bull seat.

If Red Bull doesn't have to upgrade their current car, they have a huge leg up on the rest of the teams in that they can devote more resources to 2014, where I think they already have a bit of an edge on Mercedes and Ferrari due to not having to use resources to develop an engine/power pack. Being the #1 team for Renault means they should have absolutely no issues going forward with the 2014 power packs, although it will be interesting to see if any of the other engine suppliers can make ground on Renault (although they seem to have stabilized given the lack of rules changes in the last couple years). When Honda comes in 2015, hopefully things will get more interesting.

As for a 2nd US GP to replace Jersey, I don't think Indy would be possible, due to what happened last time. It would be nice, since it's a lot closer than Texas (apparently the prices skyrocketed for this year's race as well, compared to last year). The passport isn't that big of a deal to me, since I have to have one for work anyway.
    lnfftw2

--
    29 Aug 2013 10:48 PM
    Vettel wins so im happy but di resta got the shaft so im a little sad.
    PullG
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Aug 2013 04:47 PM
    Posted By lycanthrope on 26 Aug 2013 09:06 PM i think Watkins Glen or VIR are still an option or what about going back to Indy. 
    Watkins Glen and VIR aren't going to build the ridiculous infrastructure F1 demands tracks to have.  And none of them (especially IMS) will pay the outrageous fees to host an F1 race.  The only reason COTA manages it is because they managed to talk the Texas state government into backing them, and I'll be surprised if that lasts more than a year or two.

lnfftw2

--
    09 Sep 2013 09:32 PM
    If COTA can keep other races coming to the track(i think they can) im pretty sure it will be around for a good long while. besides the turn out was huge, especially when you compare it to some of the other venues they go to that are having trouble filling the grand stands. also really liked this weekends race and im finally getting into watching qualifying. the new thermal camera was really neat(i want one for my own car now)but i feel really bad for Di Resta....dude cant get a break.
    slalomer

--
    12 Sep 2013 01:25 PM
    Shari. I feel like their qualifying sessions are more exciting than the races themselves. You should check em out more if you have the time.

Just saw on NBC sports network last night on their ticker that Raikkonen is leaving Lotus to return to Ferrari next year to replace Massa. GO figure there!
    gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Sep 2013 01:57 PM
    Posted By slalomer on 12 Sep 2013 01:25 PM

Just saw on NBC sports network last night on their ticker that Raikkonen is leaving Lotus to return to Ferrari next year to replace Massa. GO figure there!

I think he'd have stayed at Lotus except they're apparently having trouble making payroll.  

From Ferrari's perspective, this seems to be a play for a manufacturer's championship which is the one that actually pays.  Even if the RedBull car is great again and SV repeats as Driver's champion, they may be vulnerable in the Manufacturer's Championship with Webber being replaced by the relatively inexperienced Ricciardo.

lycanthrope

--
    23 Sep 2013 11:45 PM
    well it sounds like there may be a few promising developments with the jersey gp. they said in the pre-race(or qualifying i dont remember) interviews that a check of some nature has been received and it may be going forward. also Singapore was a pretty good race. for a second there i thought Button might actually make it to the podium.
    slalomer

--
    24 Sep 2013 12:58 PM
    Posted By lycanthrope on 23 Sep 2013 11:45 PM
    well it sounds like there may be a few promising developments with the jersey gp. they said in the pre-race(or qualifying i dont remember) interviews that a check of some nature has been received and it may be going forward. also Singapore was a pretty good race. for a second there i thought Button might actually make it to the podium.

That was only a good race for 2nd place to 10th place. Once again Vettel & Red Bull dominated. If he keeps this up he will be better than Schumacker. It will be interesting to see though if Red Bull & Vettel still can dominate when they switch to the V6 engines next year and other rule changes. 

BTW, I couldn't believe the safety stewards let Webber ride on Alonso's Ferrari after Webber's gearbox blew up. I was waiting for him to fall off, but luckily Alonso was going slow enough and Webber was strong enough to hold on.L 

mdavis

--
    24 Sep 2013 08:27 PM
    I think 2013 is pretty well over, in both drivers and constructors championships. To me, this is a huge value to Red Bull, as they can basically focus their entire design/development staff on to the new rules, where they won't be able to use the exhaust gases for rear downforce (according to Scarbs blog, there is no body work allowed behind the exhaust outlet, so that will make things interesting). Also the lower nose is going to work to keep some of the air out from under the car, which will also likely hurt Red Bull most of any team.

On the drivers front, I really hope Hulk gets a ride with a top team. The Lotus seat opening up could be his, which would be good. They may not be able to make Kimi's salary, but Hulk could get a nice raise and I'm sure they'd still be able to pay his. I was really hoping he'd get the Ferrari seat, but no such luck there.
    Jim G
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Sep 2013 12:30 PM
    This new video shot by a fan at the Singapore Grand Prix shows the moment after Sunday’s race when Mark Webber earned himself a reprimand – and consequently a ten-place grid penalty – in more detail.

Webber was judged to have re-entered the track on foot without obtaining permission from a marshal beforehand.

Article 30.9 of the Sporting Regulations states: “During the period commencing fifteen minutes prior to and ending five minutes after every practice session and the period between the commencement of the formation lap which immediately precedes the race and the time when the last car enters the parc ferme, no one is allowed on the track, the pit entry or the pit exit with the exception of [...] drivers when driving or on foot, having first received permission to do so from a marshal.”

Fernando Alonso was also given a reprimand for stopping on the racing line as he picked Webber up, forcing the two Mercedes drivers to take avoiding action, as also shown in the video.

Webber criticised the stewards’ decision to reprimand him for his action, calling it “comical”. It was his third reprimand of the year which means he automatically receives a ten-place grid penalty for the next race in Korea.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/...taxi-ride/
    Jim G
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Sep 2013 12:57 PM
    What happens when your F1 taxi breaks down ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cykz8Pg0Ds
    slalomer

--
    04 Nov 2013 05:27 PM
    Vettel seems to be truely unstoppable right now. He's in the zone of zones! Congrats to him for his 4th championship in a row and 7th win in a row at Yasmarin Circuit in Abu Dabi(the coolest track in F1, btw).

I think he will break Schumacker's 7 wins in a row streek at COTA, unless he has some part failure on his car. His starts, driving and car just can't be beaten right now! Unbelievable!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner