Why no ST class for SS cars?
 9 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
djm1968

--
29 Sep 2013 07:35 PM

Subject pretty much sums it up:  why is there no ST class for Super Stock cars?  Seems the natural progression should be: Stock =>  ST => ASP.  I'd like to perform a few mods to my '12 Porsche  Cayman, but I do not want to land in ASP and on R-DOTs.  Next years new 'Street' eliminates the R tire need, but my car is camber challenged -- camber plates bump me right up into ASP.

Cheers,

DJM

hklvette
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Sep 2013 05:43 PM
    We'll see what happens with the C5 moving into STU. If lots of them come out to play, maybe the SEB will consider an ST class for the cars you describe.
    ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Sep 2013 06:03 PM
    Typically big horsepower and street tires don't behave well. Plain and simple.
    djm1968

--
    30 Sep 2013 11:43 PM
    Posted By ratt_finkel on 30 Sep 2013 06:03 PM

I understand your point when considering the Z06, Viper, GT3s, though I'd point out that the Lotus Elise(189hp), Porsche Cayman (320hp)/Boxster(310hp), and Porsche 997 911(325hp) are not especially high horsepower cars.

Cheers,

DJM

ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Oct 2013 10:39 AM
    Posted By djm1968 on 30 Sep 2013 11:43 PM

I understand your point when considering the Z06, Viper, GT3s, though I'd point out that the Lotus Elise(189hp), Porsche Cayman (320hp)/Boxster(310hp), and Porsche 997 911(325hp) are not especially high horsepower cars.

Cheers,

DJM

Agreed.  Do you think you could populate a class with just those or similar cars though?  Because the numbers up to this point say no.

splash
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Oct 2013 02:40 PM
    Do you think you could populate a class with just those or similar cars though? Because the numbers up to this point say no.

That didn't prevent the creation of STF ...
    djm1968

--
    01 Oct 2013 04:39 PM
    Posted By ratt_finkel on 01 Oct 2013 10:39 AM
    Posted By djm1968 on 30 Sep 2013 11:43 PM

Cheers,

DJM

Agreed.  Do you think you could populate a class with just those or similar cars though?  Because the numbers up to this point say no.

Good point.  Honestly, I can not say is an 'STSuper' class would be popular.  Locally, I mostly see Vettes and Loti filling up the SS ranks.  Judging for the forum traffic, the Z06 drivers seem to be the most vocal about the need for R comps else SS dies.  But then, did not the SEB just create a class that none one will participate in -- Super Street?  If former SS cars will not run in an STSuper class where at least they can tweak suspension to make up for the loss or R comps, then surely no former SS cars will run in Super Street either.  So based on that perspective, I see no reason why an STSuper would be any less interesting than 2014's Super Street class.

Cheers,

DJM

ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Oct 2013 04:54 PM
    Posted By splash on 01 Oct 2013 02:40 PM
    Do you think you could populate a class with just those or similar cars though? Because the numbers up to this point say no.

That didn't prevent the creation of STF ...

The SCCA makes lots of mistakes.

OZMDD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Nov 2013 01:14 PM
    I think STF has a future, but its taking longer than anticipated. Lots of new-to-autox people should find STF a great place to do an affordable build on an affordable car that can still be a DD. I'm surprised its not grown faster, but I noticed the same trend with STR regionally in its first two years.
    edfishjr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Nov 2013 02:47 PM
    Posted By djm1968 on 01 Oct 2013 04:39 PM

Good point.  Honestly, I can not say is an 'STSuper' class would be popular.  Locally, I mostly see Vettes and Loti filling up the SS ranks.  Judging for the forum traffic, the Z06 drivers seem to be the most vocal about the need for R comps else SS dies.  But then, did not the SEB just create a class that none one will participate in -- Super Street?  If former SS cars will not run in an STSuper class where at least they can tweak suspension to make up for the loss or R comps, then surely no former SS cars will run in Super Street either.  So based on that perspective, I see no reason why an STSuper would be any less interesting than 2014's Super Street class.

Cheers,

DJM

When Super Street dies after next year there will be a spot for Super Touring!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner