You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
John P
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Nov 2013 06:23 PM
Just do what everybody else does to get around the 'no-more boost' rule in ST classes -

Crimp the downpipe to fool the wastegate to induce 'legal' boost creep that spikes above the ECU's running boost target; as the creep is mechanically set a competent ST tuner can then account for the more boost by only changing legal parameters (i.e. torque target while the car is spiking boost).  Then the boost is legally changed and you only touch the ECU to account for the mechanical boost spike.

The 'boost' rule is a joke.

EDIT:  forgot to say - adjusting the LNF alone doesn't appear to be legal;  IMO if I was on the protest committee, that directly alters boost unless evidence to prove otherwise was provided.  But.... if above said 'funny business' type downpipe was used - I would see you could tune the fuel and timing to account for the new airflow, while the ECU is doing everything it can to run the 'stock' boost tables.  Makes it perfectly legal IMO.

mrazny
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 Nov 2013 11:14 AM
Open boost, class appropriately would be the "easy button" solution to reduce complexity. The problem comes down to the whole class shakeup stuff. WRX could no longer be in STX likely. Cobalt might stay. I've heard some say the EVO can do more with the allowance than an STI. Whether actually true or not, the perception will change participation. Now if say the Corvette and 350 with 11" wheels and 285's start dominating, open boost would be a solution to give the Buggies more to catch up. Though I have my doubts about the Vette dominating. Competitive though? yes.

Competition being no consideration though, I'd do an early 350 for STU.
MrAWD
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
08 Nov 2013 10:46 AM
To me it is really down to ability to enforce to rule! This boost rule (as it was already confirmed for SP classing) is incredibly hard to police and by all means fits into the unenforceable category. It is really a joke to expect things could go on with something like this hanging in there!

And this doesn't stop right there! Anything inside the flash memory of the ECU is a joke, since there is not way to police this thing. But, all of this was already discussed so many times in the past, so I don't want to start another religious war here...

Fedja
snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Nov 2013 08:04 PM
Posted By DaculaWeather on 06 Nov 2013 01:32 PM
Bummer... but isn't the LNF a flex fuel motor?

No.

jcp907

--
20 Nov 2013 01:38 PM
Since you are asking for opinions..here is mine
ECU programming is legal,
An increase in boost is legal, if it's an indirect result of an authorized modification
Directly changing boost or turbo controls is illegal.

When looking at the PCM's tune, these tables may indirectly increase boost, but they do not directly control boost. They also influence throttle, timing, etc. Changing these would be legal.

Any change to these tables would directly control boost. Changes to these tables are illegal

mrazny
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
20 Nov 2013 02:44 PM
I think it would take quite the well worded protest to pierce through that, and a committee the day of that agrees with you to challenge that. May not ever be fulfilled, but I couldn't say it's impossible to challenge.

Here's the thing, The Cobalt isn't seen as a true contender (yet). If suddenly you win at a tour against some incredulous guys, they might want to throw paper. If you're especially fearing of this, I'd start with PCM application in other vehicles, and why that's a generally accepted tune and how you never touched actual boost tables.

But then again you could be 100% legal in all ways in a non boost car and still get protested, since sometimes racers just suck.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner