G-LOC Brakes
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 01 Dec 2013 06:18 PM by  Han Solo
Which of ST (new Street as well) tires handles heat the best?
 9 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MrAWD
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
17 Oct 2013 12:26 AM

I have been looking for what is out there to try for the next year and it looks like size wise 275/35/18 might be the size to fit onto the 8.5" rims. But, my car is quite heavy (last measurement brought 3445 lb on the scale), so heat management is very important for good performance of the selected tire. Typical players that I can see right now point to Hankook R-S3, Dunlop Direzza ZII, BFG Rivals, and some other like Bridgestone R11, Kumho Ecsta XS, whatever Toyo will bring to match requirements, and of course, whatever else I have missed.

Thanks!

Fedja

Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Oct 2013 01:23 AM
    Fedja, check out this thread. Should have the info you're looking for.

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/444377
    hklvette
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Oct 2013 09:04 AM

275 will be a pinched on an 8.5" rim.  Not sure if it will be any better than a 255 on the same wheel, but that wasn't your question.  R-S3s and Kumho XS take heat the best, IIRC.

marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Oct 2013 10:24 AM
    Howdy,

I don't think you'll go too far wrong with any of them really, but I'd probably look to the RS3 or maybe Rival first.

The XS, in the limited experience I have with them, are enough heat resistant that they just flat don't work until they're pretty hot and even then they're just "ok" as compared to the others.

The Dunlop seems to deal with being stuffed on a rim the best.

Mark
    MrAWD
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Oct 2013 07:17 PM
    Posted By hklvette on 17 Oct 2013 09:04 AM

275 will be a pinched on an 8.5" rim.  Not sure if it will be any better than a 255 on the same wheel, but that wasn't your question.  R-S3s and Kumho XS take heat the best, IIRC.

So far I did take a look at the numbers they have attached to them on Tire Rack site. Most of the 275s have 10.2" (10.9" for section width) of thread width (ZII's have 10.4") and my current set of 285 Hoosiers on stock rims is 10.75" of section and I guess thread width (they are rolled over a lot - unmounted section width is almost a whole inch wider) as well, so from that alone it looks like 275s should fit.

Of course, this might be just what comes from the paper trace, and reality might be quite different.

Fedja

Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Oct 2013 08:23 AM
    Fedja -- you would be served to search for the thread started by Sam Strano on testing over tiring street tires. 8.5" wheels will cause 275's to seriously loose contact patch. It's not whether you can cram it in the wheel well or squeeze it on the wheel as the compliance of sidewalls is less for non-r-comps.
    MrAWD
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Oct 2013 10:27 AM
    Good to know!! I will look for that thread!!

Fedja
    MrAWD
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Oct 2013 03:06 PM
    Found it!! From what I can see, going to maximum size will depend on the weight of the car a lot. Looks like lighter cars might not be able to use wider street tire as well as narrower one to reach the best temperature. But, if the car is heavier (as mine is) I would expect that wider one would be able to withstand abuse from the weight side a bit better then the lighter car would. But, that is my explanation, which might differ from others...

Fedja
    OZMDD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Nov 2013 01:09 PM
    RS3
    Han Solo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Dec 2013 06:18 PM
    Posted By Z3papa on 18 Oct 2013 08:23 AM
    Fedja -- you would be served to search for the thread started by Sam Strano on testing over tiring street tires. 8.5" wheels will cause 275's to seriously loose contact patch. It's not whether you can cram it in the wheel well or squeeze it on the wheel as the compliance of sidewalls is less for non-r-comps.

I have searched for this thread with no results. Can you provide a link?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner