Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
thewelder
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
25 Oct 2013 04:22 PM
    I just got the new sportscar and saw the car that won this year. I was under the impression that it had to be a older dsr or open wheel car. That car looked like an AM without the undertray. I have an old FSAE car that I run AM in now. It might be easier to run BM instead. Thanks. Chad
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Oct 2013 05:44 PM

Chad,

I suggest you spend a few minutes looking at the BM rules.  They only take up about 1.5 pages, starting on p.229 in the May 2013 version that I downloaded from the SCCA Website.  There are a couple of key requirements:

1. Minimum wheelbase of 80"

2. Minimum weight tied to engine displacement with the lowest weight listed as 1020 lbs, including driver

If you still qualify or can or are willing to meet those two criteria, you should next look at the aero rules listed on p. 230 (Formula Atlantic rules with some additional allowances).  After that, you should look at the Formula S rules in the GCR.

You might be too small and too light, but it won't hurt checking.

The car that won this year is basically a formula car with minimum bodywork and aero geared towards Solo.  You would not find a car like this on a road course because it's been (at least partially) optimized for Solo competition.  I am not sure if it came with a log book, but I believe it was homologated for road racing.

Clemens

underpaidslave

--
    28 Oct 2013 03:17 PM
    Chad,
    Feel free to contact me privately if you want more info about the car.

Some history - the car was originally built and raced as a FS car in Colorado (there were actually 3 cars made). I do infact have a logbook for it, and some race results. Brian Ball as some point campaigned the car at nats somewhere around 2005, he sold it to other autocrossers, and it was listed for sale - here at sccaforums http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/427120

It was apparent to me after driving it, it needed some major work that I can't do, including revision of suspension and lowering the CoG. The car was shortend to BM min wheelbase and narrowed slightly, with the fabrication done by Mark Lamm with help and input from John Carriere, Don Elzinga, and my codriver John Engstrom. The car first turned a wheel in mid July and my first time driving it on drastically softer shocks was at Nats, after Clemens hauled the car from Indy to Lincoln. I couldn't be happier with the performance of the car - but we'll improve it as much as we can. Obviously bodywork is on the list - after a muffler upgrade

here is video of one of my runs on east course-  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weIYixGUbKA

thanks, especially to all those that helped with this car!
    Dan Cyr
    jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Oct 2013 05:14 PM
    Love the video! I'm pretty sure driving a fast BM car would start a whole new addiction.

Jeff Christianson
    65 EM

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Oct 2013 08:23 PM

Oh, that's what they call it, addiction?  Well, I let Dan drive one of my cars once, and see what it turned into.

Clemens

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Nov 2013 12:11 PM
    Posted By Clemens on 29 Oct 2013 08:23 PM

Oh, that's what they call it, addiction?  Well, I let Dan drive one of my cars once, and see what it turned into.

Clemens

My FF is like Heroin,  Everyone who tries it wants more  2 others out here have bought their own.

Mark

thewelder
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Nov 2013 09:24 PM
    After looking at the rules it would be to much work for me to run BM. I would have to lengthen it. I am redoing my car right now but it will run AM again when I get it back together. I got some videos of me running mine in youtube. Just search summeyracing and you will find them but they are all local event. I plan on running so nationals next year. Thanks for the info. Chad
    bruecksteve
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Nov 2013 12:21 PM
    Posted By jdchristianson on 28 Oct 2013 05:14 PM
    Love the video! I'm pretty sure driving a fast BM car would start a whole new addiction.

Jeff Christianson
    65 EM

If we could just convince JeffK of that, we'd be in business!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner