You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
ron
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
28 Oct 2013 02:03 PM
    Well are there any SAC members out there with some insight as to where it is going to go. 137hp 179 tq and about the same weight as the current car. Can't go in HS would be an underdog in DS so maybe GS. Probably would dominate G, what do ya think?? 
    btwyx

--
    28 Oct 2013 03:11 PM

Where ever it goes, I hope it doesn't drag the old MINI Coopers with it. There is precedent for putting different years in different classes.

A 1.5l turbo, sounds similar to the current Cooper-S so DS doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

carbonflyer2

--
    28 Oct 2013 03:24 PM

I would think G, similar to the Ford Fiesta ST that was just classed as G.

Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Oct 2013 07:32 PM
    I'd say probably G if that is where the Fiesta ST is going. It would get buried in D by the AWD stuff. Should be some interesting battles and a good mix of competitive cars in G-street next year. Got the bigger power house cars like the Focus ST/SRT-4 and the smaller stuff like the Fiesta ST and perhaps this new Mini, along with the Celica still in the mix.
    efe

--
    29 Oct 2013 12:42 PM
    Agreed. The current base Cooper is competitive in GS, but would not be a top car. With an extra ~15 ponies, it might contend on most courses.
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Oct 2013 01:39 PM
    The horsepower of almost 20 isn't that big a  deal its the 65 ft lbs of torque from 1400 all the way to the rev limiter that is the big question if it will be in g or d street.
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Nov 2013 02:33 PM
    was thinking the same, that it would go to GS - and hopefully not bring the other Minis with it
    CSP21
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2013 02:04 PM
    Ron sorry haven't been reading this forum much anymore. Hopefully there are some more numbers/details which we should have after launch here shortly. Unless something more compelling changes what they are likely to be, I see GS more likely than DS.
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Nov 2013 08:07 PM
    Thanks Tom, that is the most logical choice, but that also means that it will probably be the car to have. Don't know what the electronic limited slip will do though. If it is anything like the coupe that I drove one time with it, it will probably stink.
    CSP21
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2013 08:17 PM
    Yeah and we haven't probably seen the Focus ST to its potential and the new Fiesta ST as well and how they do with street tires versus the lighter Celica. Then factor in, I'm only one opinion on a committee. I think when we get those details missing (weight, LSD, etc) we'll know. We don't have to class the car until it is actually available.
    OasisTan
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Nov 2013 11:35 PM

Actually HP/TQ numbers are 132hp and 162tq.  I can't see it going anywhere other than GS or maybe HS.  Its almost 5 inches longer as well and wider too.  I bet it has that crap electronic diff as well.  One more thing that isn't clear is, will this new Mini also have the JCW suspension?  I know it has a Variable Damper Control(VDC) so they may no longer port install the JCW suspension components.  If not, I would lean towards HS unless it happens to have more camber than the old models

OasisTan
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Nov 2013 11:38 PM
    The non-S Mini weight is 2605 and the S weight is 2760. My S over the years has ranged from 2456 up to 2475 with little/no fuel in race trim.  I think the current HS Minis were 2375-2400ish if I remember. It seems the new Mini is not so much mini any longer on its new/larger platform.
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Nov 2013 07:26 AM
    Well the overboost figures that I saw were 137hp and 179tq. I also read that the new car would be slightly lighter but the figures show otherwise. Although the have always showed around 2570 wt for the curb, full of fuel spare etc, so it looks maybe like they will be 40 lbs heavier? I think the wheel base is 3 inches longer and the majority of the rest is in the tip of the nose and center of the rear bumpers. Kinda ugly and odd place to put it, especialy for the cooper s front very ugly.
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Nov 2013 08:11 AM

as far as i understood it was to be about 60 lbs heavier in the base trim - the same weight as the R53 (02-06) MINI, they claimed. however, the 0-60 for the new Cooper is 1s** faster than the old one, at least by MINI's claim

0-60 Times:
    - Cooper Auto: 7.3 seconds (down from 9.6 – with the same Automatic!)
    - Cooper Manual: 7.4 seconds (down from 8.4)
    - Cooper S Auto: 6.4 seconds (down from 7.8 – with the same Automatic!)
    - Cooper S Manual: 6.5 seconds (down from 6.6)

http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/11...-new-mini/
    carbonflyer2

--
    27 Nov 2013 12:14 PM
    Curb weight from the MINI USA specs is 2605 which is disappointing. Also the track is 1.7in wider and second gear tops out at a little over 70mph! Electronic diff only, I had this on my 2011, it helped sometimes but there were times that it was a liability also. 0-60 is only 1 second faster for the manual transmission.
    btwyx

--
    27 Nov 2013 03:25 PM
    Posted By ron williams on 27 Nov 2013 07:26 AM
    I think the wheel base is 3 inches longer and the majority of the rest is in the tip of the nose and center of the rear bumpers.

The wheelbase is 1 inch longer than previous.

cmt52663
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Jun 2014 09:27 AM
    Is anyone aware that this new B38 based Mini is being campaigned? Has anyone taken the plunge into GS with this car I wonder?

I'm considering the move from HS (2013 base Mini) to a 2014 and I seek some experience which might warn me away from hidden pitfalls.

Thanks,

Charlie
    cmt52663
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Jun 2014 04:01 AM
    Well I reckon I'll be the guinea pig for the new B38 powered base Mini. I'll be finishing the NER season in one, with a delivery date around the end of July. I rather doubt it will be competitive in a National, but we shall see - it'll certainly put a grin on my face up at Devens and that is sufficient.

The Sport Suspension will be the same as the R56, but the DTC option is now built in. No longer a separate order item, the e-diff remains active with DSC turned off. The car apparently has a 65 mph 2nd gear, which hopefully means that 15x7 rolling stock will work.

Less power and less tire than the Focus - but about 600 lbs less weight too.

Should be entertaining anyway.

Cheers,

Charlie
    cmt52663
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Jun 2014 04:28 AM
    Hmm. 15x7 would be nice, but not legal. 15x6.5 would be a bit of a worry, so 16x7 is as good as it gets I reckon.
    cmt52663
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Jun 2014 01:05 PM
    Well Koni has no committed plan for yellows for the base Cooper F56, and I hear NM might be considering a bar - but generally the aftermarket is in wait and see mode.

I'm still amused, as in bloody pointless bench-racing theory this little sleeper has more torque under the curve from 2-5.5k rpm than the R53, and that was not a GS car.

But the BS stops when the flag drops.

The inaugural will be when NER runs for the Jeff Gordon trophy up on that postage stamp lot in NHMS, where the 'Vette's stay in 1st and the low rpm dig will rule. Should be a good indicator.

Cheers,

Charlie
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner