Sunoco 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 13 Dec 2013 11:56 AM by  Built-By-Bones
For STX, 15x9 w/225 tire or 17x8 with 245 tire?
 24 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
OasisTan
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
12 Dec 2013 09:07 PM

Posted By <a href='http://www.sccaforums.com/user-profile/userid/32971' class='af-profile-link'>Tom Reynolds</a> on 12 Dec 2013 10:12 AM
Not to cause too much thread drift as I offer little in terms of the Mini wheel preference. Just curious why you think the higher HP FWD is dead in stock/street. The Mini S is currently, but he Focus and Fiesta ST are in GS and should be at the top with the Celica. With time I could see the MS3 going there. While I realize these are probably not cars that particularly interest you, I'm not sure I can agree the higher HP FWDs are dead in stock?

We were talking about after next year for modern higher hp fwd on r comps . I dont see anywhere for them to play competitively with sticky tires. Some say smf which is almost all civic. When the scca eliminates r comps in stock, they are causing a problem for those who like sticky tires and newer fwd cars. Unfortunately I fall into that category. For the moment I will suck it up and run stx with the hope that the scca will listen to my letter and fill this obvious void that has been created by the SEB's ruling to eliminate stock class :-)
CSP21
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
12 Dec 2013 10:10 PM
Posted By OasisTan on 12 Dec 2013 09:07 PM

Posted By Tom Reynolds on 12 Dec 2013 10:12 AM
Not to cause too much thread drift as I offer little in terms of the Mini wheel preference. Just curious why you think the higher HP FWD is dead in stock/street. The Mini S is currently, but he Focus and Fiesta ST are in GS and should be at the top with the Celica. With time I could see the MS3 going there. While I realize these are probably not cars that particularly interest you, I'm not sure I can agree the higher HP FWDs are dead in stock?

We were talking about after next year for modern higher hp fwd on r comps . I dont see anywhere for them to play competitively with sticky tires. Some say smf which is almost all civic. When the scca eliminates r comps in stock, they are causing a problem for those who like sticky tires and newer fwd cars. Unfortunately I fall into that category. For the moment I will suck it up and run stx with the hope that the scca will listen to my letter and fill this obvious void that has been created by the SEB's ruling to eliminate stock class :-)

Gotcha Craig, now I understand what you are saying.

mrazny
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
12 Dec 2013 10:29 PM

Actually they caused a problem for all competitors that wants to have sticky tires on low prep level builds.  FSP is a certain speed level.  If your car exceeds that speed level, well, the next level is DSP.  If you're too slow for DSP, well, i don't know what to say.  I really don't think SP needs another class, so what you want would likely need a complete re-shuffle of SP.

OasisTan
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
13 Dec 2013 02:08 AM
Posted By mrazny on 12 Dec 2013 10:29 PM

Actually they caused a problem for all competitors that wants to have sticky tires on low prep level builds.  FSP is a certain speed level.  If your car exceeds that speed level, well, the next level is DSP.  If you're too slow for DSP, well, i don't know what to say.  I really don't think SP needs another class, so what you want would likely need a complete re-shuffle of SP.

DSP?  They are holding their own and actually beat ASP at nats and they were hanging with BSP most of the year.  Of course a modern FWD car isn't going to be fast enough for DSP.

I count 26 classes that have sticky tires that include almost all RWD with some AWD sprinkled in here and there in a few classes and a couple classes for old FWD. 

That reminds me of one additional solution that has been brought up to me through email by a few.  They think the solution is to move the DSP BMW's to BSP and put them on the same line as the M3.  That would certainly open up DSP and at the same time allow for the DSP guys to still utilize their investment, at least I assume looking from the outside...

The bottom line is, after 2014, for those that want sticky tires, the next level of prep is SP.  Considering that 20% of competitors at nats chose to run r-comps in stock class and that no longer exists after 2014, I can see SP seeing a rise in participation for 2015 and beyond.  Adding another SP class for higher HP FWD is certainly worth giving some strong consideration rather than re-organizing SP class.  My letter has been written, so, hopefully they see the light.

Built-By-Bones

--
13 Dec 2013 11:56 AM
Posted By OasisTan on 11 Dec 2013 09:18 PM
Posted By Built-By-Bones on 11 Dec 2013 11:49 AM

Not Auto-x experience, this applies to road racing and the last few years at Pikes Peak

And I have never run 17's only 16's on SSR's. Tires have been either Hoosier (in R6 or A6 flavors), Federals (not available in the US) or Continentals (rebranded R6's with a slightly stiffer construction)

The 15" wheel and 225's are the better option

- bigger contact patch than the 16's

-marginally better gearing (would be arguable on an auto-x course)

- marginally better on weight

- cheaper tires, and more availability of used tires if you go that way

Talk to Todd at TCE for what you need for the brakes. You can use OEM rear brakes but have to grind the heck out of them. Front brakes are the 4 piston Willwoods on the 12" (I think) rotor, Todd has a slightly bigger rotor, but it wont fit the 949 wheels I have been using. The 949 wheels did need custom spacers made, to clear the KW coilovers, and to accommodate the hub centric wheels - if going to 15x9, you will need to check the back spacing, or you will possibly need 3 piece wheels to get the back spacing you need. Depending on spring rate, and roll bar stiffness, you may still encounter minor wheel rub on the front plastic fender trim. Can you trim in STX? or just carry spare fender trim and replace as needed. You will rub wheel well trim up front on full lock (slow hairpins). 

Will be following your thread. Going back to Pikes Peak in 2014 (with 2 cars for now), and one of the upgrades to the Mini might be 3 piece wheels so I can fit 275's. Anyone need 5 sets of SSR's  ??

Thanks for the input Grant!  Are you guys running the R53 still or are you in an R56?  Hope to see you around some time next summer!!!!  Maybe I'll have to come out to Pikes Peak and see you guys in action!  

What size are your SSR's?  16x7's?  If so, the HS Mini's will eat them up I am sure since the -1" wheel diameter is now an option

the 2003 R53. Power similar to a JCW (will be slightly more for 2014), KW coilovers, Custom intercooler. 

You are always welcome to join us on the mountain. I believe the CO Tour event next year is the same weekend as our Testing weekend, so if you are up for a really, really early morning I can put you on the crew list for Testing. 

Wheels are 16 x 7 (possibly 7.5, I need to check to make sure), Will be posting them for sale early next year, 5 1/2 sets 

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner