B-Spec Racing
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Tmpendergrass

--
08 Dec 2013 01:13 PM

I'm thinking about building a B-spec R56 mini cooper. I like B-spec because of the very limited mods allowed and I have found I should be able to build a competitive car for around $20k. I also like the fact that I could run in world challenge races with it as well. 

I have never races wheel to wheel but I have a fair amount of track day experience and a lot of sim racing experience. I would love to get into racing and this seems like a fairly cost effective way to do it.

I'm wondering how much competition is at the club level and if anyone has any first hand experiece racing these cars. 

BillSeifert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Dec 2013 05:06 PM
    Depends on where you live. I'm in the Rocky Mountain Division and there were absolutely none here. The most in any division was 18 in Central and the next most was 15 in Southern Pacific which is California and Arizona. Now that sounds like quite a few but you have to remember that was total for all National races in those Divisions. For instance in Southern Pacific there were 10 National/Major Races, so that is an average of 1.5 cars per race. Basically that means there were 2 cars at 5 races and only 1 at the other 5 races. In Rocky Mountain Division we also had 10 National/Major Races and nobody showed up in Spec B. I realize that in order for a class to be successful, more people such as yourself need to build cars and go to these races, but it's hard to think the future for Spec B will be rosy. I'm not sure how the rest of the Divisions did. Of course this coming year Nationals will be called Majors and Conferences take the place of Divisions, but now there will be only about 4 Major races per Division. I guess only time will tell.
    jasonfichter

--
    14 Jan 2014 10:43 PM

In my region(south florida) the b-spec races are really starting to take off. at the last event i was at there was 20 cars in the race. I have just bought a 2010 r56 that we stripped down to the bare parts. It is currently at a shop in miami where it is getting its cage, suspension and all the other needed parts to race. It is a very good cheap car to build and run. It performs very well in the races too, just look at what car the winners drive!

jasonfichter

--
    14 Jan 2014 10:45 PM
    Forgot to add, you can ask me any questions you have, the team I'm on has a lot of experience racing in the b-spec series.
    Tmpendergrass

--
    03 Feb 2014 01:53 PM

Thanks for the info jason. I have been looking at getting into karting for the past few years and have found that the cost of buying a kart, trailer etc would be almost as much as b-spec. I have found that I could probably build a car for under $20k including some spares from a crashed r56. My only concern is that the r56 will be phased out for the new F56. Have you heard any talk of when/if this will happen.

jasonfichter

--
    04 Feb 2014 08:47 AM

I haven't heard anything about the r56 being phased out and I think the reason for this is that the r56 is so easy to build because the computers in the car aren't as advanced as the new f56. My car is a 2010 so it was very easy to remove the airbag modules and seats without there being a need to have the car programmed. It does display the airbag light but if i had a f56 i could almost guaranty the car wouldn't even run with those things unplugged. So to answer you question i don't think the f56 will be able to replace the r56. Maybe after a few years when the get the computer programming straightened out it will but that won't be for a while. Lets not also forget the fact that the r56 is much cheaper than the f56 will be. What region are you located in.

Tmpendergrass

--
    04 Feb 2014 01:12 PM
    I'm in California. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a crashed r56 without chassis damage. I can do all the build work myself except the cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jasonfichter

--
    04 Feb 2014 02:37 PM
    My car was purchased after being fixed because it had a front end collision that required the front right of the suspension to be replaced. I bought the car for $13,000 and it was a 2010 so i thought that was a good deal. I put 7,500 into it to get my team to finish the rest of the car.
    Tmpendergrass

--
    04 Feb 2014 02:58 PM
    I've seen 2007s with airbag deployment for $6500. I could buy two of them and end of with tons of spares and be ready to race for $20k. Would love to do a round or two a season of world challenge once I get some experience in club racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    xnamerxx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Feb 2014 02:02 PM
    TMP which club and region are you a member of? You had mentioned California, so if its SOPAC, currently there are several drivers. The regulars are 2 Honda fits built by HPD, me in a Toyota Yaris, I've seen a Mazda 2, and Kia Rio show up once but basically its just me and the Fits on a regional level.

CorkSport - Derrick

--
    25 Feb 2014 07:23 PM
    I have been hitting all of the Western Majors events this year in a Mazda 2 so you will see me at T-Hill and BW for the remaining two Cali events. It would be nice to have a mini tossed into the mix as well for B-Spec cars. At Inde there were the two Hondas from HPD this past weekend and myself.

-Derrick
    xnamerxx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Feb 2014 09:18 PM
    Derrick are you planning on hitting up any of the Norcal divisional/regional races?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner