Street Mod Door Cutting Clarification
 2 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
subydude

--
05 Jan 2014 05:21 PM
    I'm asking here because I haven't gotten responses from my last few questions I asked of the tech@scca account.

I'm cutting the fenders for tire clearance on a 4 door Subaru and I've gotten to the point on the rear where the door is the limiting factor.  I can go further before getting close to the door seal (which is where I'd stop), but to go further I'll need to clearance a small section of the door itself.  Reading the rules I don't see anything expressly prohibiting cutting on the door and to me this would fall under the 1"/1lbs rule that says: 

"Any minor modification, intended to allow or facilitate any allowed modification, is permitted as long as it does not provide any intrinsic performance benefit in and of itself, does not provide a weight reduction of more than 1 lb., and is not explicitly prohibited elsewhere
    within these rules. This rule is intended to allow minor notching, bending, clearancing, grinding; the drilling of holes; affixing, relocating, or strengthening of brackets; removal of small parts, and similar operations performed in order to facilitate the installation of allowed parts or modifications. Minor strengthening, without relocation, of original chassis/suspension pickup points is allowed. Examples include welding washers
    restricting control arm mounting bolt movement, local reinforcement of control arm chassis mounts, etc."

Here are some pictures for reference.  You can clearly see the part where the tire is hitting, and that's where I'd cut further.  I wouldn't be going past the door seal however.

So what says the forums?  The part I would cut is less than 1 lbs and would be covered by a fiberglass flare when done.
    Justin Huffman

--
    22 Jan 2014 07:34 PM
    My opinion as a former SM competitor, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it, is that this would be a tortured interpretation and not allowed. Moving the wheel back a little would be legal and accomplish the same thing, but might be quite a bit more expensive depending on what adjustment options you currently have in the rear suspension.
    subydude

--
    22 Jan 2014 07:39 PM

I got clarification from Simanyi and Corrales that said "legal".  Not a tortured interpretation. 

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner