Q on stl rules help HELP rollcage, venting, safety update 4/10/14
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Steve R.

--
13 Jan 2014 08:23 PM

Q. when deleting a sunroof does the replacement panel have to weld in or are rivets o.k.? A. weld or rivets only and same material as stock surrounding material

Q. strut tower bars front or rear allowed or no, if not can I weld the seems in the engine bay? A. yes strut tower bars allowed & yes welding seems o.k.

Q so if I have a jdm b18c spec r (usdm b18c5) do I need a factory repair manual from japan or what book are they saying u need. A. (haha nothing my submission for request to use jdm b18c spec r has been approved (obviously reduced to spec.-.425 VL and 11.0 comp. and is now updated in motor area for stl)

Q. are carbon fenders allowed if there oem replica just carbon fiber no cuts air damns or holes straight factory? A. in STL class only hood and trunk can be alternate material

Q---new---Q update new Q 4/10/14

Q. on roll cage when using nascar style side bars 1- how many horizontal bars. 2- factory door beam can u remove or cut away any of it when running nascar side bars, 3- is a door x brace adequate for safety with untouched factory beam?

Q. are u allowed any venting in rear glasses or anywhere to let air out easier from front windows being open?

Q. in STL min. weight is with no driver correct?

Q. safety power cut off, what is the best place or is it better to run two one near driver and one for safety crew?

Q. tire size choice for FF Honda civic coupe 99', I have read about people running 205 wide in rear with 225 up front for multiple reasons, has anyone ran this tire combo and how beneficial is it for oversteer and heating rear tires. (my civic is at 103" vs. the integra and hatch at 101" and old integras 100")

Q. when replacing roof skin is it o.k. to fill in the rain rails?

dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Jan 2014 08:23 PM
    Posted By smokinrock on 13 Jan 2014 08:23 PM

Q. when deleting a sunroof does the replacement panel (just enogh to cover hole) have to weld in or are pop rivets o.k

Pop rivets OK

setting up a 99 civic coupe with a b18c spec r almost ready to race

Q. can not touch motor except cam and piston and the 1" port match, what about fuel rails or pressure regulators or pulleys? ( im ready under the hood as long as those are excepted) 

You can run any rod/pistons/cams that meet engine size/compression ratio/ cam lift rules. Pulleys and fuel system are free

Q. strut tower bars front or rear allowed or no, if not can I weld the seems in the engine bay?

Seam welding is OK. Strut bars are allowed

Q. how big of brakes are needed (92-00 Honda coupe or 94+ integra) don't want them to add more weight just cause I maxed out brake potential if 11" is not needed say gsr hubs which are slightly larger with hawk pads (what I already have just not installed yet)?

Many run stock size GSR brakes. You are limited to 290mm rotors and4 piston calipers

Q.when deleting the sun roof can u rivet a panel in or does it have to be welded in that case probably better replacing roof skin? 

Q so if I have a jdm b18c spec r (usdm b18c5) do I need a Chilton from japan or what book are they saying u need, a Chilton for my usdm civic plus a b18c5 spec sheet plus a jdm b18c book or spec sheet and does it have to be from Honda?

All required books need to be Honda workshop manuals. No Chiltons.

Q. are carbon fenders allowed if there oem replica just carbon fiber no cuts air damns or holes straight factory?

No CF fenders. Hood and deck/trunk lid only. Bumpers have to be OEM

Steve R.

--
    14 Jan 2014 11:00 PM

great !!!!! thanks a lot for direct answers what I was looking for!!!! sometimes its like betting a dead horse

Q. can I make a thin wall dom bumper support? (factory one stops at the inner headlight area that's a lot of corner with 0 support id like to carry tube around to the corner and 45* it back in)

Q. on sunroof delete I realize now I typed the same question twice 2nd one was supposed to be, is it possible to make a carbon fiber delete panel with sheet metal strips say 2-3"w bout 6-12" spacing's made into the carbon fiber delete panel I realize worst case the carbon would split if there was ever a BIG problem rollover wreck or who knows so maybe the full mounting perimeter have a 1" strip plus two strips in the center then riveted down? (got a great idea and it would look great too - the center were the sunroof sits flush on top lay like 2-4 sheets down to exact sunroof size then place the metal in build second half bolt it together bake it walla fancy metal reinforced carbon sunroof delete that's raised in the center to flush with roof, but it says same material)

thanks again I should be ready to get my license in the spring so close now that I don't need brakes, race spec springs and shocks cage it and a couple safety items!!! so close I can taste it, got a trailer got a truck got gas money and buddy while he is building his car, he will be going to the events with me!!!! Midwest division

dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Jan 2014 09:28 AM
    Posted By smokinrock on 14 Jan 2014 11:00 PM

great !!!!! thanks a lot for direct answers what I was looking for!!!! sometimes its like betting a dead horse

three more questions I have if u would be so kind

Q. can I make a thick dom bumper support? (factory one stops at the inner headlight area that's a lot of corner with 0 support id like to carry tube around to the corner and 45* it back in)

Rules say you have to use OEM bumper reinforcement.It can be lightened but must retain original shape. In sportscar racing, we like to try to avoid contact, so installing a ram on the front of your car won't endear you to a lot of the other drivers.

Q. what shock spring combo is allowed meaning can I buy a set of threaded body coil overs maybe with reservoirs and tops or does it have to be a sleeve over a certain stock type shock with say progress springs or is it a factory oem shock with oem size spring diameter? (if a certain type is used and only certain dealers carry it can u give me a heads up on part# or website)

Any shocks and springs are allowed

Q. on sunroof delete I realize now I typed the same question twice 2nd one was supposed to be, is it possible to make a carbon fiber delete panel with sheet metal strips say 2-3"w bout 6-12" spacing's made into the carbon fiber delete panel I realize worst case the carbon would split if there was ever a BIG problem rollover wreck or who knows so maybe the full mounting perimeter have a 1" strip plus two strips in the center then riveted down? (got a great idea and it would look great too - the center were the sunroof sits flush on top lay like 2-4 sheets down to exact sunroof size then place the metal in build second half bolt it together bake it walla fancy metal reinforced carbon sunroof delete that's raised in the center to flush with roof, but it says same material)

Anything but a solid sheet of the same material as the surrounding roof is going to be deemed illegal.

thanks again I should be ready to get my license in the spring so close now that I don't need brakes, race spec springs and shocks cage it and a couple safety items!!! so close I can taste it, got a trailer got a truck got gas money and buddy while he is building his car, he will be going to the events with me!!!! Midwest division

You need to slow down a tad and read the ST ruleset. Read ST first and then follow up with the STU/STL specific regs.

Good luck

dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Jan 2014 09:28 AM

three more questions I have if u would be so kind

Q. can I make a thick dom bumper support? (factory one stops at the inner headlight area that's a lot of corner with 0 support id like to carry tube around to the corner and 45* it back in)

Rules say you have to use OEM bumper reinforcement.It can be lightened but must retain original shape. In sportscar racing, we like to try to avoid contact, so installing a ram on the front of your car won't endear you to a lot of the other drivers.

Q. what shock spring combo is allowed meaning can I buy a set of threaded body coil overs maybe with reservoirs and tops or does it have to be a sleeve over a certain stock type shock with say progress springs or is it a factory oem shock with oem size spring diameter? (if a certain type is used and only certain dealers carry it can u give me a heads up on part# or website)

Any shocks and springs are allowed

Anything but a solid sheet of the same material as the surrounding roof is going to be deemed illegal.

You need to slow down a tad and read the ST ruleset. Read ST first and then follow up with the STU/STL specific regs.

Good luck

Steve R.

--
    15 Jan 2014 01:59 PM

thanks

lol I see what ur saying about the bumper support lol I agree. wasn't even thinking like that.

as for sun roof a sheet of sheet metal it is then. till i put a new roof on.

and ahhh yes i see i forgot or lost a whole section printed off like 200 pages various sections, I got like another 20 with the rest of the ST section. honestly i read the stl rules like 100 times "what am i missing there's hardly any thing hear"  the production class was thick the IT was thick but like 7 pages was STL!

breath i will and thanks for your time

dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jan 2014 09:28 AM
    On your question about the jdm engine book, you can get by with the US manual if JDM manual is unavailable. You will need to submit the worksheet and ask for the JDM engine to be approved. Just a formality.
    prodogdriver
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Feb 2014 01:54 PM

I have this exact car, '99 Civic Si, mine is an ex-SSC car & I want to go STL but no free time. I feel the car can do it so I hope you do really well & prove my theory. I’m anxious to see results.  Good luck this summer.

Steve R.

--
    31 Mar 2014 01:35 PM
    thanks the benefits of building a top of the line street machine for the past years is now paying off and very minimal is needed. and the only down fall I can see is the 2" longer wheelbase at 103" vs 101" hatch and integra but will bring more stability (in theory) and I hope with a good suspension setup and tire size choice I should be able to get back the agility in the turns. running a b18c spec r motor all I have to do is shave the cam factory valve lift is .437 rules for 4valve max .425(I presume 0 lash) and I am at 11.1.1 comp. ill probably just get some usdm type r pistons .396 dome (10.6 comp) then use a thinner head gasket to get it close to 10.8 comp. be done after engine tune I should still be close to 200hp!!!
    Steve R.

--
    29 Apr 2014 07:04 AM

Q. on roll cage when using nascar style side bars 1- how many horizontal bars. 2- factory door beam can u remove or cut away any of it when running nascar side bars, 3- is a door x brace adequate for safety with untouched factory beam (only reason I ask is after seeing a few stl cars there door beam is gone or altered but rules I believe say no alterations)

Q. are u allowed any venting in rear glasses or anywhere to let air out easier from front windows being open?

Q. safety power cut off, what is the best place or is it better to run two one near driver and one for safety crew?

Q. tire size choice for FF Honda civic coupe 99', I have read about people running 205 wide in rear with 225 up front for multiple reasons, has anyone ran this tire combo and how beneficial is it for oversteer and heating rear tires. (my civic is at 103" vs. the integra and hatch at 101" and old integras 100")

dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 May 2014 02:37 PM
    Posted By smokinrock on 29 Apr 2014 07:04 AM

Q. on roll cage when using nascar style side bars 1- how many horizontal bars. 2- factory door beam can u remove or cut away any of it when running nascar side bars, 3- is a door x brace adequate for safety with untouched factory beam (only reason I ask is after seeing a few stl cars there door beam is gone or altered but rules I believe say no alterations)

2 bars minimum in door openings. Factory door bars can be removed.

No vents in rear door glass or rear window

driver is included

Front door opening or cowl is best. Make sure it's marked. Don't do two.

I have no input. We run same size.

No

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner