22 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
dgoetz

--
14 Jan 2014 05:18 PM
    I have been toying with buying a 2 pass open sports car and I have been looking at
    a Aerial Atom III with a blown Honda 300hp engine. I did some inquiring and
    it would be placed in A Mod, which I wouldn't be very competitive in.
    Now I am looking at a Stalker M-spec with a new LS3 eng and tranny.
    This is totally new to me and I don't know what cars fit into what classes
    and the SCCA rule books don't always help.
    You guys have run these cars before and i would think you already have a good
    idea what car goes where.
    I don't mind running in XP like the Cobra kit car does but I don't want a Cobra.
    I am looking for a  300hp or more 2 passenger mod car that would be
    competitive in its class.
    I would love your input and would like to hear your ideas if you are not
    too busy and are willing to help me.
    davebs14
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 Jan 2014 10:13 PM
    The Mineharts who own Stalker USA can build you a VERY competitive E-Mod car if you're willing to spend the $$$ (and if you're looking at an Aerial then you probably are). But yes go that route with the V8 and they can get you a good setup.
    Boxologist
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Jan 2014 02:37 AM
    Any of the se7en clones will be an exceptionally fun car in D or E Mod. The first question you have to ask yourself if the car will also be road driven or just a competition car? That will dictate exactly how the car will be built and how it will handle.Autocross centric suspensions are very harsh compared to something that can be roadworthy, especially at the pointy end of competition.

The Atom actually goes into B modified where it runs up against converted Sports Racers. The Se7en clones unfortunately are aerolimited in D/E Modified. Check out www.usa7s.org for more info on may of the different manufacturers of clones. But if you are looking for a purpose built autoX car, I would get in touch w/ Del Long who has built many D/E Mod cars including the the Sprinto YC-3 which has won many national championships.
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Jan 2014 11:36 AM

7 clones go in D Mod if the motor is 2000 or smaller and they can be very fast.  I run against a Stocker with a supercharged V6 and he usually beats me(lots of power), but not always as my suspension is better for autocross.  He would be in E mod, I think.  Not sure how well a V8 would work for autocross as it may overload the 7 style suspension at both ends.

Let us know what you get.

Mark

cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Jan 2014 02:03 PM
    Check out section 18 in the Solo Rule book at http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517.

While there is at least one genuine Lotus 7 that runs in DM most of the DM/EM 7's run as clones. It should be fairly easy to swap softer street suspension springs to stiffer competition springs in a dual use car. You'll want to think about what size wheels/tires you'd want to drive on for both uses. One option would be to use 15-17" wheels for the street but use 13" slicks for competition. Just watch the brake rotor size to make sure the smaller wheels fit. Suspension geometry will be a little compromised for one mode or the other but then all competition cars are full of compromises.  The Mineharts usually trophy in their EM Lotus 7 street car when they attend Nats.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Jan 2014 04:38 PM

Stalker M... hmmm... Made in America, front engine, street legal... Sounds like CAM!

Pretty sure it would be competitive in CAM.

dgoetz

--
    15 Jan 2014 05:01 PM
    I am talking to the Stalker folks about a special purpose M-Spec with a LS3 eng and close ratio T56 ( same ratios as my C5 ZO6) .
    A dedicated race car with 13x10 wheels and 20"frt and 22"rear slicks, w/optional 23h' x 13'wide rear slicks but would widen the car by 6". With 52% of the weight on the rear w/driver. The set up with the proper added ballast to make the minimum weight would be fine. I am working out the top speed in the first three gears with different rear end gears, to figure the right choice. I would like a 2nd that tops out at about 70mph. What am I leaving out or overlooking?
    They tell me it would be legal in E Mod.
    jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Jan 2014 07:40 PM
    Scott can absolutely put together a stalker that will be fun and competitive. With the an LS3 and t56 trans you will not need to worry about 1st or 2nd gear, those gears are for paddock and loading the car on the trailer. I'm running an LS1 in my Westfield and run start to finish in third gear. Plenty of torque to keep you smiling the whole way. I plan to bump from a 3.90 to 4:11 rear gear this winter. Oh EM is where you'll be, we are way more fun that DM, they only have exhaust pipes on one side of the car........duh. ; )

Oh the other fun part of a V8 in a 7 clone are the looks and comments when the hood comes off. My car has been around for a long time and people still sorta drop their jaw. Win, loose, or draw you'll be smiling after every run.

racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Jan 2014 09:06 PM

I'm guessing this goes straight to A-mod? Mid mounted LS, 1600 lbs.

Or throw a Fiat 850 spider  body on it and call it E-mod?

http://www.palatov.com/cars/d2.html

cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Jan 2014 11:01 PM
    Check out the roll hoop/helmet rules and make sure you're seat/head is low enough. Read ALL of section 18 and the Mod section of Appendix A. I predict with the LS3 you'll be opting for the 13" wide rears eventually.

There's Christianson talking out of both of his exhaust pipes again.

That would be a funny looking Fiat 850 spider with that long of a wheelbase.

Jeff
    Robert Puertas
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Jan 2014 12:21 AM
    Fiero, esprit, corvair?
    dgoetz

--
    16 Jan 2014 10:26 AM
    Posted By cashmo on 15 Jan 2014 11:01 PM
     I predict with the LS3 you'll be opting for the 13" wide rears eventually.

Ok,  you definitely know what you are talking about granted, but 13" rears would put the rear end with to 72" from 66", that's only 2' narrower than my vette is now, I was hoping for a much narrower car than I have now, but if traction is more important than total with then so be it.  I am already toying with ordering the car with an extra set of rears in the 23" x13"w  size so that they could be fitted from the factory in order to clear the fenders which would have to be modified before painting. Without talking to the builders i would hope the frt and rear 13' x 10" rims are interchangeable (same back set) which would give me an extra set of rims for start of my spares..

Don

Ryno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Jan 2014 12:02 PM
    If your looking to be competitive I'd stick with the SSP car and buy the Ariel Atom for the fun factor.
    dgoetz

--
    17 Jan 2014 04:43 PM
    Posted By Ryno on 16 Jan 2014 12:02 PM
    If your looking to be competitive I'd stick with the SSP car and buy the Ariel Atom for the fun factor.

After a few years of autocrossing, driving a car, any car on the street is not that much fun. I have street bikes for the street riding. You can actually use racing lines and still stay in you lane by using only your lane as the whole course in a motorcycle.

Going from  SSP to E Mod on a 50sec course means i would have to go 2.7sec faster with a car that has the same power and drive train, weights appx 1/2 as much.  Shorter wheel base, at least little narrower, lower center of gravity, less unsprung weight, better sticking tires and I'm sure other things that i will figure out.  All of the my local club races are held on small, tight, narrow High School parking lots under 40 sec better fitting the E Mod. 

I would think that should be possible to be just as competitive for me at my skill level.

snookwheel

--
    27 Jan 2014 09:11 PM
    We have a Classic Brunton Super Stalker and autocross it a good bit in Emod, we also use it to run around town! I love how dependable it is and how cheap it would be to repair.... if it ever needed it. Very fast fun, I highly recommend that you consider one. The Mspec is really an amazing machine!
    dgoetz

--
    01 Mar 2014 12:35 PM
    First pictures of build
    Attachments
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Mar 2014 08:44 AM
    A friend of mine has a Super Stalker with the LS3 engine in it. It is absolute beast mode and is still street legal. Fitment is tight for big folks but well worth considering.
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Mar 2014 11:23 AM
    Posted By Z3papa on 02 Mar 2014 08:44 AM
    A friend of mine has a Super Stalker with the LS3 engine in it. It is absolute beast mode and is still street legal. Fitment is tight for big folks but well worth considering.

Where will you be running this Beast?  Will we be able to see it at Nationals?

Mark

dgoetz

--
    07 Mar 2014 03:04 PM
    I will compete in it in a 3 state area, Utah,  Idaho and Montana. If i get it worked out quick enough I plan on competing at Packwood, WA both weekends.
    dgoetz

--
    03 Jun 2014 11:44 AM
    Getting close to completion

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner