Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
xnamerxx
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
18 Jan 2014 05:45 PM

I'm almost finished with my build but going over the rules I'm not entirely sure about the seat brace rules.  The seat is currently mounted on sliders which I can easily change, but reading the rules it appears I need to add a seat brace, which I'm not exactly sure how to do as the seat is a composite material and it hits the cage in my seating position.  If the seat rests against the cage is that sufficient or so I have to drill in the my seat and move the seat forward to add a brace?  

Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Jan 2014 08:13 PM
    I believe if mounted to the roll bar, you should be ok, but I'd recommend reaching out to a local tech official if possible.

Thanks,
    Dave
    dkmura

--
    18 Jan 2014 11:54 PM
    As a racer with a tech license, mounting the seat to the roll cage does NOT mean it's OK on the seat brace requirements . Depending on the build date on the composite seat, you may not even need a brace. Take a close look at 9.3.41 in the GCR for more details on how the sliders have to be mounted.
    xnamerxx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Jan 2014 02:00 PM
    I spoke with a tech official, and basically I'm not going to be able to get around the brace without getting a non sliding seat mount. Given that the seat is out of date anyway looks like I'm going with the drill the seat option.

As far as the seat brace is concerned is welding the plate to the roll cage and bolting the plate to the seat considered okay or do I need to have the plate welded to a tube that is attached to the cage, I don't plan on making the seat actually slide since my seating position is quite far back.
    dkmura

--
    23 Jan 2014 09:29 PM
    Do NOT drill a composite seat- that will really destroy its structural integrity. You will need to build a plate with a tube behind it welded to the cage. Do a search and you'll some bolt-on examples out there of what you need.
    xnamerxx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Jan 2014 11:37 AM
    How do you attach a plate to a seat without physically mounting the plate to the seat? Walking around the paddock at the last race resulted in finding braces that were drilled and bolted to seats.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner