25 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
brianL

--
03 Feb 2014 07:13 PM

Hi I'm newer to the sport and I made the decision to Modify and run my car in C-Street. I think it's a great class for my driving skill. I was going to run the car in c-stock but I really wanted to upgrade my wheels and go up 1 inch in wheel size.

So what I want to know is what are the best tires for c-street? What are you guys and gals running?

kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Feb 2014 09:44 PM
    i'd like to chime in just to maybe half confirm what I *think* I know

best in pure dry: rivals
    best in pure wet: conti DW
    good in either condition: dunlop z2's, re11's?
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Feb 2014 10:28 PM
    Perhaps something that the original poster is misunderstanding - C-Stock and C-Street have the same rules except for wheels and tires and C-Stock is going away after this year, so regardless you should build the car for C-Street.

That being said, I think the stock wheel diameter on the BRZ is sufficient and I personally wouldn't go up to 18's. Now, if you really want to go up to 18's for appearance reasons, then yes, that would be legal in C-Street, but make sure the 18's you select are the same width and close to the same offset as the stock wheels in order to stay legal.
    brianL

--
    04 Feb 2014 01:37 AM
    Cool Thanks for the response and thats great news I know the differences from stock to street is 1inch in wheel size stock width and a offset of 6.35 mm (0.25”) from standard, 1 larger aftermarket sway bar of front or rear (front making the only sense for this car) and a catback exhaust .

I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing a catback or sway bar but however the car sits at the beginning of the season is the way I'm keeping it so I focus on my driving skills.

As for tires I would like something thats good in the wet and dry since I will be daily driving on these tires.
    Sharpecs

--
    04 Feb 2014 02:26 AM
    Yokohama ADO8R or Bridgestone RE-11A if you want to use them every day.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Feb 2014 10:40 AM

Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 will not be legal for C-Street in 2015 (will only be legal this year) because it has less than 200 treadwear rating.

brianL

--
    04 Feb 2014 05:29 PM
    I looked up the Bridgestone RE-11 and so far I think these will be the tires I'm running this year thanks for the suggestion
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Feb 2014 06:32 PM
    You might want to look hard at ZII, as well.
    IntrigueGX
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Feb 2014 07:42 PM
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/furr...5144633438

The ZII is going to be popular in Street classes.
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Feb 2014 08:11 PM
    Posted By Matthew Huizing on 04 Feb 2014 07:42 PM
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/furrin-group/2014-performance-tire-buyers-guide/687525144633438

The ZII is going to be popular in Street classes.

great review of tires and wheels

brianL

--
    04 Feb 2014 08:31 PM
    Who makes ZII?
    brianL

--
    04 Feb 2014 08:36 PM
    never mind I found it on that tire buyers guide thanks Matthew Huizing
    marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Feb 2014 12:51 PM
    Howdy,

IIRC, the BRZ that placed highest in RTR at nationals last year was on 235/40-17 ZII's on 17x7 wheels. FWIW.

Mark
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Feb 2014 01:38 PM
    Is the R1R still competitive against the Z2 and the Rival, or is it one tier down from those
    marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Feb 2014 02:50 PM

Howdy,

Posted By kyoo on 05 Feb 2014 01:38 PM
    Is the R1R still competitive against the Z2 and the Rival, or is it one tier down from those

I think "it depends" is likely the right answer.

Some of the R1R sizes reportedly have the softer tread all the way to the cords, rather than down to around 4/32.  Sizes folks have reported as being the good ones that I can remember are the 195/xx-15 and the 235/40-17.  I think there were a couple others reported too.  Toyo, as far as I know, hasn't released any official information.  I think general consensus is that the R1R in these good sizes is a tire to have.

But that's not the whole story... The R1R apparently likes being pinched on a rim less than some others (notably the z2).  It also apparently doesn't respond very well to ham fisted driving (though perhaps this is just in wear characteristics).  And it appears to be less tolerant of heat than any of the other choices (which matters if you're on your 4th back to back run at a ProSolo, for instance).

The positive thing is that none of this matters if you aren't looking for those last couple tenths.  If you're not at the psycho level, just pick one an go with it.  Both the z2 and the Rival seem to be good "set it and forget it" tires and even at the national level, folks are winning on both.

Mark

edit:  and, of course, the R1R at 140tw is only good for the rest of this year.  In 2014 the tw requirement goes to 200 and unless Toyo updates the tire, the R1R will not be legal in Street or Street Touring.

kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Feb 2014 03:12 PM
    ^ thanks for the input. i just didn't want to start behind right from the start (if that were the case), so I'll plan on that.

I was thinking I might even burn through an entire set of tires in one year - obviously this varies on a LOT of things, but roughly how many runs do the current crop of street tires take before they're toast? 100-130?
    marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Feb 2014 03:33 PM

Howdy,

Posted By kyoo on 05 Feb 2014 03:12 PM
    ^ thanks for the input. i just didn't want to start behind right from the start (if that were the case), so I'll plan on that.

I was thinking I might even burn through an entire set of tires in one year - obviously this varies on a LOT of things, but roughly how many runs do the current crop of street tires take before they're toast? 100-130?

That's another "it depends" thing.  I think its fair to say that the shortest life will be a shaved R1R and I've heard of some folks that got as few as 30 or 40 runs from one.  Others have no issues with shaved R1R's going 100+ runs.  It seems to be related to how much your driving style or car abuses the tire.

The Rival, z2, and RS3 all seem to be much more tolerant.  We had over 100 runs on a set of Rivals last year on our CS RX-8 and the tires still had lots and lots of life left in them.

Summary version... For anything non-R1R I would say that 100 to 130 runs is the low side.  For the R1R and a car/driver that isn't hateful to them, I think that's also still in the range.

For your best guess, talk to someone with a car like yours running the tires you're interested in.

Mark

kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Feb 2014 03:36 PM
    Posted By marka on 05 Feb 2014 03:33 PM

Howdy,

That's another "it depends" thing.  I think its fair to say that the shortest life will be a shaved R1R and I've heard of some folks that got as few as 30 or 40 runs from one.  Others have no issues with shaved R1R's going 100+ runs.  It seems to be related to how much your driving style or car abuses the tire.

The Rival, z2, and RS3 all seem to be much more tolerant.  We had over 100 runs on a set of Rivals last year on our CS RX-8 and the tires still had lots and lots of life left in them.

Summary version... For anything non-R1R I would say that 100 to 130 runs is the low side.  For the R1R and a car/driver that isn't hateful to them, I think that's also still in the range.

For your best guess, talk to someone with a car like yours running the tires you're interested in.

Mark

Sounds pretty good! It's gonna be a MINI, so I think I don't have toooo much to be concerned about relatively speaking, pending driving style etc. Just glad it'll last the year. Hoping to get about 25-30 events in.
    marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Feb 2014 03:39 PM

Howdy,

Posted By kyoo on 05 Feb 2014 03:36 PM
    Posted By marka on 05 Feb 2014 03:33 PM

Howdy,

Mark

Sounds pretty good! It's gonna be a MINI, so I think I don't have toooo much to be concerned about relatively speaking, pending driving style etc. Just glad it'll last the year. Hoping to get about 25-30 events in.

Actually, Stock/Street Minis are known to be quite hard on their front tires.  Given what I've heard about them, I would not expect an R1R to last all that long.  I'd look a lot harder at either a Z2 or a Rival.

But that's all just guessing on my part, as I've never run a Mini myself, just read about folks experiences.  You'd do very well to talk to someone more expert in Mini-land.  There seem to be some of them in the +/- 1" wheel thread.  :-)

Mark

kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Feb 2014 03:41 PM
    haha yea myself included. i'm 95% sure I'll be going with the Z2s, keeping them sprayed down in the hotter days. Thanks for the chat
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner