SPS 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 15 Feb 2014 05:21 PM by  btwyx
Big 200 TW tires.... 345 or 355 -18 or 19?
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cbramey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
07 Feb 2014 12:49 PM

There are so many growing options (finally) for Street tire racing, in SCCA and elsewhere that it is very exciting.   But, one glaring need is a tire with a bit of sidewall and meat on it. 

So many good street cars want 345 or 355 series 18 or 19 inch tires, but no one that i can find is making one.  The rival would be perfect, but their 335 is a good front, a bit small for the rear.  Anyone know if any of the companies are working on it?   I need to get some wheels and unfortunately tire size will dictate wheel choice.

porphyre

--
    07 Feb 2014 04:10 PM
    Literally laughing out loud here.

Push push push, me me me. Oh, what's available isn't exactly what I want! R-comps are too expensive! The 'It' tire doesn't fit my 15/16/17/18/19 inch wheel! There's no ultra wide 15" tires! There's no ultra wide 19" tires! Why can't I pinch a 285 onto this 8" wheel like I used to with those dumb-dumb expensive Hoosiers???

Cry me a river.
    cbramey
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Feb 2014 09:49 PM
    I am asking people who are decent forum members if anyone knows of an available brand or if bfg plans on making one soon.

Not demanding anything. The demand is simply a market need for every vette, viper, 911, exotic car and pro touring car out there.

So mr porphyre, Look yourself in the mirror. Real close. And realize deep down, without any reservations, that you are a worthless waste of air.

I look forward to any constructive information anyone can offer.
    Torino1985

--
    09 Feb 2014 06:48 PM

Well I will say that us guys in STX and STU even though we could not run them were always wanting bigger tires.   The reason I was told we would not get to run bigger sizes was b/c bigger tires were not available.  This has been a problem for a few years.   

As "race"  cars run slicks and to be honest I have only seen about 10 actual cars at an event ever that needed those tires for Autocross it seems like a very tiny market for tire makers.    Especially when you look at 315 through 365 that's a lot of different sizes for the 10 or so cars that can actually run them.    And most of those cars never see a track or if they do they run slicks.   Just seems like it may be some time before that happens if ever.         

pburkhart

--
    09 Feb 2014 10:44 PM

On my C6 Z06 I run 10.5 X 18 Forgelines front with Pilot Sport PS2 315-30 ZR18 (N4 Porsche) OEM rear tire for GT3 and 12.5 X 19 Forgelines rear with 345/30ZR19  C1 Dodge Viper, OEM ACR Tire.  All 220 UTQG.

When new, incredible grip for street tire, first event, it launched so well that I almost blew by the first autocross gate because I was expecting massive wheel spin and it hooked. Downside, razor edge breakaway transition in cornering; I'm not good enough to drive it to its potential, particularly as it heatcycles out. A6 is so much easier and forgiving to drive in comparison.

Danny Popp won 2012 ultimate street car challenge with C6 Z06 on this same combo and was still running them last spring when I saw him at a ProTouring type event at the Autobahn. He was blowing those guys away.

Talk to Luke at Tire Rack about them. Another Downside, very expensive, but they have worn much better than Luke suggested, but no longer have competitive grip, but still good tire for street. 

Cheers, Philip

cbramey
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Feb 2014 02:57 AM
    Thanks! Appreciate the input
    mitchman
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Feb 2014 03:21 AM
    btwyx

--
    15 Feb 2014 05:21 PM
    Posted By mitchman on 15 Feb 2014 03:21 AM

Made this a while back: 

http://webpages.charter.net/mitchlewis/street-tire-sizes.pdf

I like your chart, its been very handy. Now Bridgestone has 200TW RE-11 tires (not RE-11A), maybe you should add those. I've found the RE-11A to be not as fast as the RE-11, so I'm not going to be using them now the RE-11 is back.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner