SportsCar changes for 2014
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dkmura

--
08 Feb 2014 05:29 PM
    Over the past 18 years, I've been involved in covering what's been going on in my SCCA division though SportsCar magazine. Proud to say my divisional column, Pony Express, covered news out of each of the seven regions that make up the division. Whether it was solo, rallycross or circuit racing, the accomplishments of both individuals and groups were recognized. Also happy to say that since I was first invited to be one of the original divisional correspondents back in 1996, I've made my deadlines and submitted columns from my neck of the woods right to the end.

Word has come down that SCCA interim President Lisa Noble is mandating a change for SportsCar, beginning with the April issue. There will no longer be any divisional reports included in the magazine, as SCCA shifts the priorities and editorial makeup of the magazine. Any comments on this change should be directed towards your respective Director as the BoD have the final say in this decision.
    Kylini

--
    08 Feb 2014 08:38 PM
    Glad to hear our club is now even more out of touch with its membership base.

Thanks for your contributions.
    Aaron B
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2014 12:00 AM
    Meh, divisional reports usually only catered to the road racers anyway.
    mitchman
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Feb 2014 10:48 AM
    Posted By Aaron B on 09 Feb 2014 12:00 AM

+1

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Feb 2014 08:09 AM

The quality and the content of the Divisional columns heavily depends on the author.  This section of the magazine is definitely a mixed bag.

Clemens

porphyre

--
    10 Feb 2014 11:04 AM
    Which was always weird because, depending on division, there is often only one or maybe zero road races in a given month whereas a seven region division could easily have 7, 14, maybe 21 events in the same time frame.  Additionally, the individual regions may have had competitors traveling to National events.

gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Feb 2014 06:02 PM
    Supposedly the various Series Reports are going away too.
    Jerry Doctor

--
    10 Feb 2014 06:04 PM
    I understand the sections devoted to various types of competition (road rally, Solo, etc.) are also toast. In their place we are supposed to see more coverage of individual events. I just hope that doesn't translate to "all Majors all the time."
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Feb 2014 06:38 AM
    It's not too late to register for the SCCA Convention in Charlotte next month to share your thoughts in person.....
    GP Hondaman

--
    11 Feb 2014 10:41 AM
    David,

I am very sorry to hear this.
    In defense of David, author of "Pony Express" RM divisional column, he not only covered club racing, but also solo, individual members and their achievements, regional event reports ( both solo & club racing ) historical and timely. That being said, doesn't mean that the other divisional column writers didn't fairly cover and report all the different types of events on an equal basis, but David did. If a particular divisional column didn't or doesn't report enough solo coverage, it was probably due to that particular division regional clubs not sending those stories to the author of that divisional column. Enough said.
    For one, when the Nationals office decided to sell SportsCar magazine to an independent publishing house and not to alert the membership or even allow any regional input or vote on this before it was done, was when I became aware that the SCCA was no longer a "Club" with membership votes just membership dues.
    Second, when the SCCA started seeking out and hiring business, financial officers, or past CEO's for the Presidential position from other industries that had absolutely no motorsport interests or backgrounds, much less any former involvement or knowledge of SCCA, I knew that we were headed down a bad path.
    Third, and most recently, the creation of the new "Street" tire solo classes and the dissolution of the "Stock" solo classes without informing the SAC of their intentions. Motive... Money to the SCCA?
    So I am not surprised that they are now ( wondering why it took them so long based on their past performance history ) removing these individual divisional columns and reports from our printed publication, but why can't they continue on and be posted up on our digital version of SportsCar?
    Our club is being run not so much as corporation ( because it is ), but more like a facist government.
    I am sure I will receive a lot of heat from my opinion and remarks, but don't we still have "Free Speech" within our club or has that also been taken away from us ( without our knowledge or vote ).
    Like it or not, that's the way our club has become.
    Just my 2-cents.
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Feb 2014 05:59 PM
    Posted By GP Hondaman on 11 Feb 2014 10:41 AM

Our club is being run not so much as corporation ( because it is ), but more like a facist government.

Could it be that the current vision of the SCCA from Topeka is that the division structure is ultimately obsolete?  Maybe I'm going crazy, but I seem to recall other division-level things being cut or proposed to be cut recently, like the Divisional Solo Steward responsibilities.....

Brigdh

--
    12 Feb 2014 08:40 PM

Yep, pretty much this.  As a member of "RMdiv", I was surprised to see a claim that Pony Express covered anything Solo.  I went back through the past year of Sportscar issues and found one mention of Solo (a report from the Rio Grand Region that seemed to be copy and pasted from a letter the RE sent in), three mentions of RallyCross, and the rest was road racing.  As a member of a very successful Solo program that brings home the lions share of trophies from Solo Nationals, I will not miss the Pony Express column - it does not begin to cater to my interests as a SCCA member.  I would hope axing the divisional reports would bring more Solo coverage to Sportscar (I currently subscribe to GRM for that), but I'm not holding my breath.  

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner