Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
welltal89

--
11 Feb 2014 02:34 PM
    Hi everyone,

New here and read the last two stf plan topics and would like to see what people have planned for 2014. I have a 2005 honda civic si (rally potato) in which im still getting a feel for.

So far it has:rsx type-s rear sway bar
    Aem v2 intake
    Custom A'pexi ws2 catback
    Dc race header (which ill be adding a cat to make it class legal)
    Eibach sportline springs (bought the car with them, I feel like the car is a little too low, and may replace with the pro-kit and koni yellows)
    225/45r17 Goodyear eagle gt on motegi racing 17x7 wheels.

So far I've been to two practice events, just getting a feel for the car, as well as learning different techniques, as im still a novice
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Feb 2014 06:08 PM
    You have the plan right with trying to improve the driver the most.

However, when you do make changes to the car, the first thing you'll probably want to change is those tires. Those things you have on it are rock hard. If you change out the springs (or even if you don't) you might want to read up on what some other people with your car are running for camber settings and trying out those. Do you know how the camber was set when it was lowered before you bought it? Does the car have camber plates?
    rodhx

--
    12 Feb 2014 07:19 AM
    The EP3 and RSX have a "challenging" suspension setup to be kind. I had an EP3 and currently have an STF RSX-S. If it is lowered by more than an inch or so that is too much for the suspension geometry, so when you get ready for suspension tweaks keep that in mind. Don't bother with the pro-kit springs (or any other "kit") if you're serious about developing the car because it needs MUCH stiffer spring rates. When we had the EP3 we put the Type S rear bar on it like your's and that really helped with the understeer.

+1 on drdisque's reply. Get experience with what you have for now. When ready for an upgrade move to a good competitive 225/45-17 on a 7.5" wheel to max out the class allowance. Our cars are more powerful than most in the class but they are also the heaviest and need all the wheel/tire they can get. Then get more experience and start thinking about suspension.

Good luck! We loved our EP3.
    welltal89

--
    13 Feb 2014 03:17 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice!
    The only reason I got the Goodyears is that they were well reviewed and im looking to get a lot of life out of them (college student with an internship) until I graduate and get a job, in which case ill be able to get a spare set of wheels and tires. As for the springs, I've read of people having 500lb springs up front which seems a bit.high to me for something I drive to work, school and back home every day. I want to definitely raise the car as I feel the steering isn't as effective due to the large change in static link angle as well as not bottoming out on small bumps (the spring was the previous owner modification)

But I think we can all agree on more seat time

And losing weight from the driver haha
    Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 Feb 2014 02:53 PM
    Well, I'm back in the SooperKia. '10 Forte SX. Mods as of Nat's 2013 were:

K-sport coilovers for Veloster with custom spring rates/shocks.
    rear Veloster Whiteline RSB (19mm)
    Megan upper pillowball mounts for the front
    Kosei K1's with 225/45/17 Rivals.

Stuff getting added/has been added this offseason:

Kinetic Motorsports Cat-back (already installed)
    RoadRaceMotorsports mid-length CAI (ordering Monday)
    Koni Sports for the rear (thanks LEE!)
    Odyssey battery to replace the 50lb stocker. (hoping to drop 20-25lbs)
    Driver weight loss package (25-30lb reduction).

IMO, last year the suspension was just about there (with the better rear shocks I think that puts the cherry on top), but I felt a little down on power coming out of the slower corners. So hopefully this plan (dropping 50-70lbs off the car and driver, picking up 10-15hp) will be just the ticket. Now I just need to find a full time co-driver.

Going to try to hit up the Wilmington Match Tour and the Peru Match Tour along with Nat's this year along with our local season of 12 events. This will be my biggest event-year since starting this in 2007.
    davebs14
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Feb 2014 07:30 PM

Ok...I'm back. New car...all new parts

The Mini kinda fell apart after nationals so I parted it out and it was sold to carmax.

2014 Plans...win.

Car - 2008 Mazda 3. I bought the car new in Feb 08 and it's been a DD since then.

Suspension:
    - SPC rear arms
    - BC Racing Coilovers
    - Some sort of rear bar? (hotchkis or MS3)

Engine:
    - AEM hacked up intake with the fog light mod
    - Vibrant Header (later)
    - Header back exhaust and high flow cat

Weight Loss:
    - Driver seat - Ultrashield dropped 15lbs. This was more for comfort on course though
    - maybe a battery later?
    - removed the spare tire and floor mats?
    - exhaust was about 10-15lbs off the car. Header might be another 5?

2762 is the weight listed on Edmunds for the 2006 model. My 2008 is listed at 2900lbs. So it's a BIT porky. But over the mini the longer wheelbase makes it much easier to put into a corner on the limit and come out with some momentum. And the torque and high 2nd gear is nice. The wheelspin not so much. Needless to say I won't be going bigger on the front bar.

I'd LOVE to be close to 2800lbs. I'll weigh it next month at the Texas Tour. See you all there I hope?

xnamerxx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Feb 2014 10:23 PM
    Well I'm still kicking around trying to make a Yaris work. I make bad decisions

Suspension
    -Custom control arms
    -Custom Bilstein coilover

Engine
    -Custom long tube header(close to 135hp right now)
    -DC CAI
    -CamCom Piggyback

Took all the weight loss parts out because well B spec car needed them more. Weight wen up give or take 20-30lbs I'm sitting at 2150 give or take right now.

At this point not sure there's much I can really do with the car right aside from getting some more seat time. Car is surprisingly fast, when I run the right tires, the Rivals certainly aren't it.
    Hopefully I can put up a good showing for 2014.
    Andres3165
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Feb 2014 12:34 PM

Posted By xnamerxx on 17 Feb 2014 10:23 PM
    Engine
    -Custom long tube header(close to 135hp right now)
    -DC CAI
    -CamCom Piggyback

Great HP increase (factory 106hp ? ). what is your opinion on the Cam Com?

Andres

xnamerxx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Feb 2014 01:20 PM
    Thanks, I've never seen a engine that was so mildly tuned from the factory, as the 1NZ-FE.

The CamCom is a mixed bag, it works surprisingly well, but it works all the time, so part throttle or low load when the cam goes into emissions mode the car feels like a dog. I picked up 13hp from the thing so I can't complain to much.
    Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Feb 2014 01:55 PM
    I'd love to spend the money on a tune this year, but I just don't think the funds are going to be there. Similar Theta II's picked up 11hp and 14ft-lbs on the tune alone. Adding in the right intake and exhaust netted another 8hp/9ftlbs. putting it right at 170@the front wheels with torque right there with it.
    Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    20 Feb 2014 08:38 PM
    Posted By davebs14 on 17 Feb 2014 07:30 PM

2762 is the weight listed on Edmunds for the 2006 model. My 2008 is listed at 2900lbs. So it's a BIT porky. 

I'd LOVE to be close to 2800lbs. I'll weigh it next month at the Texas Tour. See you all there I hope?

Edmunds is pretty accurate on the 06. My 2006 2.3L weighed 2,750 lbs down at Blytheville in HS trim with 10lbs of extra gear (floor mats, jack) and it's a sunroof car too. Hope to have it down to 2,700 lbs which shouldn't be too difficult. Wonder what makes the 04-06 model 100+ lbs lighter? HP wise, hope to get the 2.3L "big block" to put out around 185 hp at flywheel which should be roughly 150ish at the wheel. 

jasyatz

--
    22 Feb 2014 11:17 AM
    The Mini kinda fell apart after nationals so I parted it out and it was sold to carmax.</p>

Has been a lot of that going on, mine was determined to be "unrepairable" and Mni told me I was SOL so I moved on in 2013 to a Mazda 2

"New" for this year is pretty much everything..

Rear shocks, tire size, rear bar, alignment change, tune, intake swap, spring change.

Last year started with a box of parts, many of them have found their way back into those same boxes.
    Andres3165
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Feb 2014 02:34 PM
    Posted By xnamerxx on 20 Feb 2014 01:20 PM
    Thanks, I've never seen a engine that was so mildly tuned from the factory, as the 1NZ-FE.

The CamCom is a mixed bag, it works surprisingly well, but it works all the time, so part throttle or low load when the cam goes into emissions mode the car feels like a dog. I picked up 13hp from the thing so I can't complain to much.

That's awesome I can't wait to see it in action, are you doing any Tour?

That is good info for the Mr2Spyder people

Andres

xnamerxx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Feb 2014 03:26 PM
    You'll probably see me at a few of the west coast events but I probably won't make the championship. Bspec is sorta taking my resources right now.

With a full bolt-ons 150 isn't out of the realm of possibility with a 1NZ-FE.
    Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Mar 2014 02:04 PM
    Everything is installed/ready to go but tires (still friggin cold) for the year. Not sure what I'm doing about the battery yet, but it really needs to go for something 20-30lbs lighter. To date, i've dropped 14 lbs with the intake/exhuast and picked up power all across the rev range right to redline. I'll actually have to watch the tach for that first shift change, you can no longer feel the power dip as you near the rev limiter.
    Andres3165
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Mar 2014 08:20 PM
    Posted By Bobzilla on 17 Mar 2014 02:04 PM
    Everything is installed/ready to go but tires (still friggin cold) for the year. Not sure what I'm doing about the battery yet, but it really needs to go for something 20-30lbs lighter. To date, i've dropped 14 lbs with the intake/exhuast and picked up power all across the rev range right to redline. I'll actually have to watch the tach for that first shift change, you can no longer feel the power dip as you near the rev limiter.

I gained some pounds    , as of last saturday : 2125 lbs. weight, + 115 lbs. (driver). Big total of 2240 lbs.

Andres

rodhx

--
    17 Mar 2014 09:59 PM
    Andres, it was very nice to meet you at Dixie. Congrats on the 2nd place finish! My son & I were in the gray Acura RSX-S.
    davebs14
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Mar 2014 12:20 AM
    Andres is 800lb (you read that right) lighter than me at least lol
    Jeremy Salenius

--
    18 Mar 2014 07:07 AM
    Plans for 2014. Drive the Blue Whale!
    ot81to

--
    18 Mar 2014 10:45 AM

If winter ever ends in Minnesota, I'll get all the parts installed on my 2004 Focus for STF. My tentative plan is to do the Lincoln Pro/Champ Tour, Wilmington Pro/Champ Tour, Nationals, and hopefully the Pro Finale, (if I can get in.) I also have a co-driver for the Lincoln events.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner