New guy, Need some advice!
 0 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
IanT720

--
12 Feb 2014 07:53 PM

Hi guy's I'm Ian 19 from outside of Ann Arbor Michigan, I want to get into the SCCA. However I'm lost as to what direction to go exactly... So more about me, I'm a state certified mechanic and work as one, soon to be ASE.  I built my 87 Fiero GT ground up, with a custom swapped 3800 Supercharged motor, Now I'm building and fabricating a turbo system to replace the blower, got a large cam installed, and many other mods to the car/drivetrain. This is my DD but I will definitely try track days, and AutoX...          

My plan is to get into the custom business, besides obviously working at a custom shop (I've been interviewing) My goal is to have a shop in the near future, and racing will be hopefully a big part of that by using my cars as a form of advertising for my future shop, making connections, and gaining a reputation...

The car I'm building to race this summer in the Chumpcar Series is an 86 Fiero V6 4 Speed, it will be caged, gutted, lowered, engine swapped with a 3.4, and made legal with all the race bits.. Seat, Fire system, Fuel Cell Etc... I have no racing experience so I figured building a cheap car and racing in the Chump Series would be best for starters..

So question 1. Is Doing Chump a smart move?

2. What class or Races would that race car be eligible in for SCCA?

3. Any wheel to wheel events it would be legal in?

4. Would I even have a chance if it gets classified as modified due to the 3.4 swap?

5. Bottom line, I love racing, love cars, and love driving. And I want to advertise my future shop, and gain a reputation by running in the SCCA Wheel to Wheel events.  I'm not trying to be a professional driver (Though it would be sweet), and I don't have a fat wallet either, has anyone built a performance shop this way, and could chime in? Ie. Started hyping, and badging cars to build a network of connections, and customers before the said shop existed (Coupled with restoring cars on the side, and moving down south)? -Ian 

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner