Designing the best front spoiler for Emod vehicle
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dgoetz

--
14 Feb 2014 09:33 PM

I have read and reread the rules and with a lotus 7 type car (stalker).......when these or similar vehicle use a full with front spoiler, the car's spoiler/airdam is required to be vertical (between 80-100 deg) for the lower 8.0" of its extent.

New body work may be added to close the gaps between the fenders, nose, and spoiler/splitter/airdam assembly on cars with open or irregular frt bodywork such as Lotus 7.

When using a full front spoiler...does that mean a full front spoiler to the existing front with or to the full with allowed equal to the rear bodywork?

I have posted 3 pics with different possible spoilers.

Can anyone shed some light on this and tell me what would be legal and why? Also is there a better design I am over looking?

Attachments
    racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Feb 2014 10:59 PM
    None of these look legal reading this.
    front spoiler is not permitted to protrude forward beyond the overall outline of the car as viewed from above
    Splitters may not be wider than nor extend more than 6” (152.4mm) forward of the top-view outline of the car.

Widening the front of the body might work and might look weird.
    The front of the car may be reshaped to accommodate the construction of spoilers, air dams, and splitters, and may be widened to rear body width
    cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Feb 2014 11:04 PM

You'll find some examples in both DM and EM at Autoxpix.com and GotCone.com .  Most folks doing the full width front splitter are blending it in with the fenders.  However the rules don't give much guidance as to what's allowed on the back side of the front tire.  Be careful not to make anything that can be considered a wing.  I suggest reading all of section 18.1 and then go back and read it again. 

The material you use will have to withstand hitting cones at speed.  You have to decide if the extra weight that far out front is worth the limited down force you get. 

More discussion points: those rear fenders seem to be getting pretty far away from an original 7's along with the ramps up to the head lights.  While Prepared allows front hoods and engine covers to be vented and/or louvered I don't know what rule would allow them on a 7's fenders. 

Jeff

racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Feb 2014 11:17 PM
    Posted By cashmo on 14 Feb 2014 11:04 PM

Most folks doing the full width front splitter are blending it in with the fenders.  

I don't see how that would work with the fenders that turn with the wheels.

cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Feb 2014 11:27 PM
    I don't either, you'd probably have to convert to clam shell front fenders.
    dgoetz

--
    15 Feb 2014 10:48 AM
    What exactly is the difference between and splitter and spoiler? I thought I had a splitter on the frt of my C5 vette because the air was split between going to the radiator for cooling and diverting it to help in downforce and keeping more air from flowing under the car. If it didn't have that opening to allow some air to flow to the radiator it would be a spoiler.
    racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Feb 2014 12:09 PM
    Splitter is the flat piece, parallel to the ground, below the spoiler/air dam.

cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Feb 2014 02:00 PM
    Most older Trans Am cars had traditional spoilers.
    dgoetz

--
    24 Feb 2014 01:19 PM
    Actual designs wont be final until the car is here but this is what i have come up with
    Attachments
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Feb 2014 06:04 PM

Use a flat lower section rather than this sloped one.

Attachments
    dglong
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Mar 2014 09:51 AM
    Here's a photo of a DM car (running AM) shoing full width front spoiler on a 7 clone.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116511...3435672738

Del Long
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner