You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Z3papa
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
24 Feb 2014 06:56 PM

What is everyone's thoughts relative to the contingency, or lack thereof, for street tires this year?  It seems BFG and maybe Hankook may have some skin in the game, but no Dunlop or other competitive tires out there.  Given the problems experienced at Lincoln, this is unfortunate. 

MrAWD
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Feb 2014 11:20 AM
    One of the reason for me to look into RS3s much harder then others...you never know...right?
    10cjennings

--
    26 Feb 2014 02:13 AM
    Any ideas when Hankook is going to release solo contingency info for 2014? Dixie Tour is only 3 weeks away and the Hankook's listing on the contingency page just says "details coming soon".
    gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Feb 2014 07:32 AM
    With 30 "Street Tire" classes (including Ladies) and 16 total National Tour events, the cost of providing a meaningful contingency has gone up considerably in the last 3 years. 
    imarcr2

--
    26 Feb 2014 01:58 PM
    Those 30 Street Tire classes buy tires though....a whole bunch of new Extreme Performance street tires are going to be sold with the new classes I would suspect
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Feb 2014 02:42 PM
    Posted By gary p on 26 Feb 2014 07:32 AM
    With 30 "Street Tire" classes (including Ladies) and 16 total National Tour events, the cost of providing a meaningful contingency has gone up considerably in the last 3 years. 

In 2013 when there was a full slate of stock classes, Hoosier, Kumho and BFG, all still have contingencies which paid out $ or tires.  I'd say there are more ST tires being sold to offset in the cost of the additional contingencies.  Certainly more than is ever remotely paid out for the first three places at a given event per class.  

ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Feb 2014 06:24 PM
    Contingency  is posted at the scca website, No toyo this year and Honda is virtually nothing. Sure glad I switched to a civic and bought those new toyo's. sarcasm if you didn't recognize it.
    bregganie

--
    27 Feb 2014 09:16 PM
    Just got a message from Hankook. The new compound is supposed to be released in about a month. An exact date wasn't given. 
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Feb 2014 08:37 AM
    Posted By bregganie on 27 Feb 2014 09:16 PM
    Just got a message from Hankook. The new compound is supposed to be released in about a month. An exact date wasn't given. 

that's juuust a little too late for most of us..
    MrAWD
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Feb 2014 05:32 PM
    Posted By kyoo on 28 Feb 2014 08:37 AM
    Posted By bregganie on 27 Feb 2014 09:16 PM

that's juuust a little too late for most of us..

What do you mean by "late for most of us"? Is it that you already got your tires or the new ones will not be eligible due to compound change (I thought deadline is April 1st for that one).

Also, do we have any word on what the change is about? More heat/cold tolerances? Both? Anything?

TS
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Mar 2014 02:15 AM
    I certainly could be wrong, but I suspect that Toyo wasn't happy about SCCA raising the Tread Wear to 200 in the Street "Stock" Classes and increasing it in Street Touring for 2015, so they pulled they're funding? I also heard, which may be wrong, but that Hankook is waiting to see if they're new Compound will be excepted by the SCCA for this year before the finalize their Contingency Awards?

One thing I don't understand is the different levels of Sponsorships, (don't take this wrong I appreciate any support that companies do to support Autocross), but it seems that the highest level sponsors have the lowest contingency awards? Does it account for how long a company has support Autocross or SCCA in total or the dollar amount in each area, Solo and Road Race?

Tim
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Mar 2014 09:38 AM
    I talked with SCCA and although Toyo wasn't happy with the tread wear change, they cut the program due to budget cuts.
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Mar 2014 09:40 AM
    Interested in the Hankook change, I too would like to know what is going to be different with this tire. Is it going to be a new designation of tire or still the same carcass and tread with a compound change. How are we to distinguish between the two?
    Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Mar 2014 01:21 PM

No info at all on the Hankook website about the "new and improved RS3" that is supposedly going to be available in one month. Maybe available to purchase (aka put on back order) in one month. I remember when the original RS3 came out....major supply shortages and people had to wait months for them to become available and in stock. I have serious doubts Hankook is going to have the tire in stock and ready to go at Tirerack ect this April. They got until April 30th, that is the deadline for eligibility.....we'll see if Hankook  can come through. 

"Tire availability: Tires are considered available when competitors 
    can take possession through retail channels. Pre-orders are not 
    considered available."

sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Mar 2014 01:28 PM
    Posted By coneracer on 02 Mar 2014 09:40 AM
    Interested in the Hankook change, I too would like to know what is going to be different with this tire. Is it going to be a new designation of tire or still the same carcass and tread with a compound change. How are we to distinguish between the two?

From what we've heard, the sidewall and tread pattern will be identical, but the compound changed to increase cold and wet performance.  The only way to tell them apart will be by the date code on the sidewall.  No telling what sizes will be in those containers when they show up, though.

Is it really that hard for Hankook to email an invoice before they ship?

Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Mar 2014 01:45 PM
    Posted By sjfehr on 02 Mar 2014 01:28 PM

That won't be good enough. Tires need to be in stock and ready to ship through retail channels 4/30/14. See my above post for rule. 

TS
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Mar 2014 02:11 PM
    I talked with SCCA and although Toyo wasn't happy with the tread wear change, they cut the program due to budget cuts.

That's interesting news regarding Toyo as they cut funding for SCCA Solo and Road Race, but certainly have a healthy Contingency Awards Program over at NASA Time Trials and Road Race. Here's the link: http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency.

Perhaps they believe they get a better return on their investment at NASA?

Just wondering.

Tim

Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Mar 2014 02:25 PM
    Posted By Z3papa on 24 Feb 2014 06:56 PM

What is everyone's thoughts relative to the contingency, or lack thereof, for street tires this year?  It seems BFG and maybe Hankook may have some skin in the game, but no Dunlop or other competitive tires out there.  Given the problems experienced at Lincoln, this is unfortunate. 

As far as "problems experienced at Lincoln" are you referring to the rumor that the Rivals are supposedly not that good there? Not sure that I buy into that. Several people won jackets at Lincoln last year on Rivals. Was that just dumb luck? Here's what I think happened. Some vocal people on this and other boards who were using Rivals got beat at Lincoln by someone who wasn't on Rivals (Perhaps Dunlops ect). Instead of saying "maybe that guy/girl out-drove me" they looked for the nearest excuse on why they got beat which of course is always the tires

davebs14
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Mar 2014 10:12 AM
    I still think the BFG is the best all around tire. In super hot the RS3 is probably a bit better. In super cold the Z2 or R1R. But for all around performance it's sometimes the top tire and never far off when it's not.

And something to always consider (which most don't), you HAVE to optimize the car. Slapping different brands and models of tires and saying they didn't work isn't a test. They didn't work with the same setup.

To me I don't like the way the Z2 drives. The turn in IMO is not that much better than other tires and the grip at the limit is wonky feeling (to me). Could I go fast on them? Sure. But I feel the window of super fast is smaller than a RS3 or Rival.

What wins to me is the combo you can go 98% on easily every time. This makes getting 99.5% easier to achieve.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Mar 2014 11:24 AM
    Posted By Adam303 on 02 Mar 2014 01:45 PM
    Posted By sjfehr on 02 Mar 2014 01:28 PM

That won't be good enough. Tires need to be in stock and ready to ship through retail channels 4/30/14. See my above post for rule. 

Shipping from China?  No, that's not enough for eligibility; the containers would have to actually arrive and be distributed for that.  But a little communication from Hankook would at least let people plan and know whether to wait or buy something else. 

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner