What defines a fender?
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
the3lracer

--
05 Mar 2014 04:16 PM

A member of my region is asking questions about modification of his 1990 Miata for SSM. One of his questions is regarding how much he can legally modify the fenders (specifically the fronts) while still being legal. This has sparked a mild debate between the two of us in regards to what legally defines a fender. 16.1.I of the SM rules governs a majority of the bodywork (including the bodywork in question) for the SM classes, but it only states that it may be "modified or replaced". His pseudo-rhetorical comment was "so if I remove 99% of the fender, is it still a (heavily modified) fender?" is the prime focus. I know the main intent of his line of questioning is to see if there is an absolute limit to what he can do, but he is a person who likes to question for the sake of questioning. So I ask you...what legally defines "a fender"?

Boxologist
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Mar 2014 05:42 PM
    The tire can not be more than 50% exposed.
    I think there is also verbiage about not modifying inboard of the rotor hub face, but i may be in error on that.
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Mar 2014 01:45 PM
    Why ask the (SSM) question in the Street forum, instead of the Street Modified forum?

"Modified or replaced" is just a short step from unrestricted. So he can go crazy with a sawzall, put on a wide body kit, make DIY box fenders from scrap, whatever. I don't think the 50% coverage or inboad of the rotor limits are in effect here (for SM). He might be restricted to fire resistent materials, so he can't make new fenders from leftover pizza boxes. And sharp edges would probably be a safety violation.

So yes, cutting away 99% of the fender is probably modified and OK, where the only thing you can't do is remove them.
    Snizzoop

--
    07 Mar 2014 08:25 AM
    Posted By Grintch on 06 Mar 2014 01:45 PM
    Why ask the (SSM) question in the Street forum, instead of the Street Modified forum?

Umm...this is the Street Modified forum?  The description I see under "Street Classes" is "STF, STC, STR, STS, STX, STU, SM, SSM & SMF"

Regarding the question at hand, I think this falls under the, "don't be a dick and ruin it for the rest of the SM guys."  SM is pretty open, and in general, the competitors don't nit pick.  Don't be the guy that gets the rules tightened up...no one likes that guy.

OZMDD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Mar 2014 11:24 AM
    Seems like a "Street-anything" class ought to have streetable cars, which fenderless miatas would not really be.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Mar 2014 04:50 PM
    While the original intent was to give street-driven cars with engine swaps, added/altered forced induction, and modified suspension geometry a place to play, the class has evolved to a point where most nationally competitive SM and SSM cars are not streetable, which makes sense considering most nationally competitive Street Prepared cars are not very streetable and SM is a far higher level of prep.

My interpretation is that the fender still has to look like a fender and act like a fender to still be a fender.
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Mar 2014 01:23 PM

Posted By <a href='http://www.sccaforums.com/user-profile/userid/43874' class='af-profile-link'>Snizzoop</a> on 07 Mar 2014 08:25 AM

Posted By <a href="http://www.sccaforums.com/user-profile/userid/8962" class="af-profile-link">Grintch</a> on 06 Mar 2014 01:45 PM

<p>Umm...this is the Street Modified forum?  The description I see under "Street Classes" is "<span style="color: #000000; background-color: #fafafa;">STF, STC, STR, STS, STX, STU, SM, SSM & SMF"</span></p>
    <p> </p>

WTH? What happened to the seperate Street Touring, Street Mod, etc. sub forums?
    marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11 Mar 2014 10:27 AM
    Howdy,

If I were a competitor in SM, I wouldn't try and torture the rules too much for fear of the rules being significantly tightened down and that tightening down having consequences I didn't like.

I.e.... Don't be the guy that throws a turd in the punch bowl for everyone else.

Mark
    retlawj

--
    27 Mar 2014 08:41 AM
    Posted By Grintch on 10 Mar 2014 01:23 PM

Posted By Snizzoop on 07 Mar 2014 08:25 AM

Posted By Grintch on 06 Mar 2014 01:45 PM

Umm...this is the Street Modified forum?  The description I see under "Street Classes" is "STF, STC, STR, STS, STX, STU, SM, SSM & SMF"

WTH? What happened to the seperate Street Touring, Street Mod, etc. sub forums?

oh … they screwed that up several months ago   

scca forums in general are still the most screwed up of any forum I go to (and this one only once a month or so) 

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner