Will my car be legal whatsoever in EM?
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Truckinduc

--
09 Mar 2014 08:56 PM

Hey guys I need some help making sense of the SCCA rule book.

I’m Currently building a track day car that I would also like to compete in autocross and solo events. I’m not looking to build a car to a specific class, just looking to have some fun.

Here are some of the specs that i assume would dedicate what class I’m in.

1985 VW golf 4 door

2000 VW passat 1.8 turbo motor, built for around 300whp

tubular adjustable subframe with adjustable control arms and adjustable steering rack positioning for Ackerman - bump steer tuning. Control arm pickup points drastically moved from original location.

tubular front frame section from strut towers forward, highly modified strut towers, raised pickup points, adjustable for camber, kingpin inclination and castor

Highly modified later model knuckles with moved pickup points and trailing calipers, (instead of leading)

aluminum fuel cell in non stock location

rear trunk section removed for diffuser

15x10 wheels and big brakes, big for 15" wheels that is

***** possible chopped top to lower between 2 to 4 inches ***** I wont do the chop top if its not legal, even with a well designed cage.

So would this be legal in any classes? Thanks for spending the time to read this and reply.

Posted By F125AXer on 09 Mar 2014 01:39 AM

Sounds like EM to me.

AFAIK, all of the things you intend to do would not be legal for a prepared class, but someone else who knows the EP/FP rules can better answer about that.

Posted By Robert Puertas on 09 Mar 2014 11:04 AM
    Might be legal in Prepared under some interpretation of the GT rules… Is the VW eligible in GT3?
    Otherwise, EM is the place for you.

Posted By racingfool on 09 Mar 2014 12:02 PM
    X-prepared or E-modified. Is a chopped top allowed in either class?

Robert Puertas
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Mar 2014 11:13 PM
    You need to review the rules for E-mod.
    You could easily make the car illegal by doing the diffuser "wrong".

The chop is probably not strictly legal. However, if you look at most of the EM cars, they pretty much just look kinda like the cars they are supposed to be. So long as it's obvious it's a Golf, no one is likely to protest you.
    Truckinduc

--
    10 Mar 2014 12:18 AM
    All I can find on the diffuser is a length constraint. No longer than 25". No width or angle requirements.

So there are no real suspension constraints? Strut towers can be heavily modified or re designed entirely?

Also are there any differences in DM and EM other than engine capacity? So if my 1.8l were NA I'd be in DM class but since its turbo I have to use the 1.4 displacement multiplier which puts me in EM. Am I correct?
    jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Mar 2014 09:19 AM
    Yes, the forced induction pushes you to EM. Otherwise it sounds like your good to go to me. Especially if your really just looking for fun on the track and local autocrossing.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner