PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 29 May 2014 05:55 PM by  Brigdh
Novice Driver looking for Clarification on Strut Bar Rules and Definitions before finishing car build
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MK1GTIdriver

--
12 Mar 2014 04:05 AM

Hi everyone,

I am a novice autocrosser preparing my 1984 VW Rabbit GTI to race in the STC class for the first time this season and I am hoping to get some clarification for the SCCA STC class rules for lower suspension braces before I chose one to mount on my car.  In talking to multiple SCCA racers I have been told “If it doesn’t clearly state that you can’t, go for it!” but I am unsure at this point if the lower suspension brace I want to use is legal and I could use some clarification.  So I have copied the relevant sections from the 2014 rule book and provided examples of pictures of the modification that I wish to do.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could look over what I have presented and give me some clarification on what would be a legal modification.

So here it goes. 

To start with, Page 68 of the 2014 Rule Book “Strut Bar” Definition states:

12.18 STRUT BAR

A transverse member connecting the upper or lower suspension mounting points at the front or rear of the car.   Strut bars may be mounted only transversely across the car from upper left to upper right suspension mounting point and from lower left to lower right suspension mounting point. A two-point strut bar fastens only at the left and right suspension pointing points. A triangulated strut bar has a third area of attachment at the chassis (e.g., at the firewall/bulkhead). All connections to the vehicle must be bolted. No connection point to the chassis can be welded.

And page 80 of the 2014 Rule Book rules for Street Touring Classes says the following about Strut Bars and Sub Frame Connectors:

G. Strut bars per Section 12.18 are permitted with all types of suspension, subject to the following constraints:

1. A 2-point strut bar may be added, removed, modified, or substituted, but only with another 2-point strut bar.

2. A triangulated (3-point) strut bar may be removed, modified, or substituted; substitution may be with either a triangulated or a 2-point strut bar. The connection to the chassis (e.g., firewall, bulkhead) must be in the standard location.

3. Lower suspension braces must be attached to the lower suspension pickup point locations on the chassis within 2” (50.8mm) in any direction of the actual suspension attachment to the chassis.

4. Except for standard parts, no connections to other components are permitted.

Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only “bolt-on” attachment is permitted. Interior trim panels may be modified to allow installation of strut bars. Holes or slots may be no larger than necessary and may serve no other purpose. This does not permit any modifications to the frame or unibody beyond the allowed mounting holes.

H. Longitudinal (fore-aft) subframe connectors (“SFCs&rdquo are permitted with the following restrictions:

1. They must only connect previously unconnected boxed frame rails on unibody vehicles.

2. Each SFC must attach at no more than 3 points on the unibody (e.g., front, rear, and one point in between such as a seat mount brace or rocker box brace).

3. SFCs must be bolted in place and not welded.

4. No cutting of OE subframes or floorpan stampings is permitted.

Drilling is permitted for mounting bolts only.

5. No cross-car/lateral/triangulated connections directly between the driver’s side and passenger’s side SFCs are permitted. Connections to OE components such as tunnel braces or closure panels via bolts are allowed and count as the third point of attachment.

No alteration to the OE components is permitted.

6. SFCs may not be used to attach other components (including but not limited to torque arm front mounts or driveshaft loops) and may serve no other purpose.

So I’m having difficulty determining the legality of any other form of lower strut bracing other than a commonly added 2 point bar that is attached to the frame horn/front control arm mounting point.

Here is a picture of the typical 2 point bar that most MK1 VW drivers use which mounts from the frame horn end/front LCA bolt side to side:

[URL=http://s85.photobucket.com/user/AutoX_FIB/media/steeringrackmountlowerstrutbar.jpg.html][/URL]

Here is a picture of a factory lower suspension brace commonly called a “K-Bar” which came factory on second generation 16v Sciroccos but were not originally equipped on MK1 rabbits or Sciroccos.

[URL=http://s85.photobucket.com/user/AutoX_FIB/media/4pointKbar-1.jpg.html][/URL] 

Part of me wonders if the update/backdate rules would apply to this but from my understanding update backdate implies that you are equipping your car with ALL parts associated with that particular different trim level or equipment package.  i.e. even if the only part you want on your miata is a differential from an R model, you must find and equip your car with EVERY part found on an R, even the seats and interior trim, etc.  And while the K bar is a factory part and most 2nd Gen 16v parts are interchangeable with my rabbit GTI, there was never a factory equipped “16v” trim designation for the Rabbit until the 2nd gen VW Golf and GTI and those parts would not all be compatible nor would they use a K-bar.

The K-Bar may also technically violate another part of the rule that is specified.  I’m referring to where it states in Section 3:

“3. Lower suspension braces must be attached to the lower suspension pickup point locations on the chassis within 2” (50.8mm) in any direction of the actual suspension attachment to the chassis.”

I do not own a K-Bar to measure but by the looks of it there is more than a 2” distance from the control arm mounting point to the additional tubular arm that is bolted to the frame horn.

The 3rd option I am exploring is a Eurospor Lower 4 Point Brace:

[URL=http://s85.photobucket.com/user/AutoX_FIB/media/4pointeurosportbar-1.jpg.html][/URL] 

So technically this is actually mounting strictly to factory suspension mounting points (the front and rear LCA mounts) and at no other point on the frame or body. 

But it is also triangulated and I wonder if despite this not really being a “Sub Frame Connector” in the truest sense if it does violate the following rule from Section H.6 on pg 80 regarding sub frame connectors:

“5. No cross-car/lateral/triangulated connections directly between the driver’s side and passenger’s side SFCs are permitted. Connections to OE components such as tunnel braces or closure panels via bolts are allowed and count as the third point of attachment.”

Ironically you could argue that without regarding section H.6 if it would not be considered covered by that that rule that the substantially beefier 4 point brace is in compliance more so then the K-Bar because unlike the K-bar the 4 point brace ONLY attaches left to right to the 4 factory Lower Control Arm suspension mounting points where as the K-bar has an additional support tube attaching to the frame more then 2 inches from the factory attachment point.

So as you can see here I am probably WAY over thinking things here but I would GREATLY appreciate some help here before I finish the suspension overhaul on my car and bring it to my first autocross race this season.  Especially since I could be spending as much as $200 on the 4 point brace only to find out that it is illegal.

Autoxer62

--
    12 Mar 2014 10:36 AM
    Interesting, both of us have questions about similar parts. #1 is clearly legal. I'm pretty sure you can't update/backdate individual parts in ST, so #2 is not. On #3, it connects more than two points, so I think it's not legal either according to rule 12.18.

Just curious, are you going to run a tower brace as well?
    marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Mar 2014 11:08 AM
    Howdy,

I don't know VW's and the answer above is saying what I'd have said anyway but...

In talking to multiple SCCA racers I have been told “If it doesn’t clearly state that you can’t, go for it!”

Its actually a little impressive just how wrong that is.

The rules are really, really clear on this point. If something isn't explicitly allowed, its not legal. Don't read the rulebook looking for places it tells you can't do something you want to do. Read the rulebook looking for places where it explicitly says you can do what you want to do.

Mark
    Kylini

--
    12 Mar 2014 04:02 PM
    As stated above, if it's not explicitly allowed in the Solo Rules, it's not allowed at all. When in doubt, the answer is probably no. When explicitly mentioned as a limitation on a permitted item, it's a definite no.

Regarding the lower strut bar shown as option #1, as long as it bolts in exactly two places within 2 inches of the original suspension attachment point to the chassis, you're golden. Since we're talking where the suspension meets the chassis, I'd interpret this on a car with lower A-arms to be where the control arm is bolted to the actual car, but I'm less sure about that or how (if at all) it would apply to your VW. If you're not within two inches from any pivot bolt for your lower suspension, you're clearly illegal. Grab a measuring tape!

Regarding option #2, backdate/update is not mentioned before street prepared and is thus illegal in street touring. That leaves us with the simple fact that you're only allowed to add a 2 pt bar if you never had one, or a 3 pt bar if you had a triangulated bar you were replacing (which you aren't). That K-bar has 4 points and is illegal at face value.

Regarding option #3, that's a subframe connector and it must meet ALL requirements of subsection H. Even if your car had "previously unconnected boxed frame rails" and was a unibody vehicle, you're only allowed to connect up to 3 points. If you try to pretend it's not a SFC and try to say it's a lower strut bar, it is still limited to 2 points. It's illegal at face value.
    MK1GTIdriver

--
    20 Mar 2014 12:31 AM
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I'm glad I got some clarification. I'll be doing a 2 pt. bar then.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 May 2014 05:12 PM
    To marka and kylini.

I desperately would like to see that wording in the SCCA Solo rulebook. I will not name names, but the people that stridently deny this concept being the default is amazing. THAT said, the Solo Rule book should be comprehensively re-written to remove potentially conflicting rules, subjective/ambiguous verbiage, and state what IS allowed and NOT allowed.
    Brigdh

--
    29 May 2014 05:55 PM
    Posted By snaponbob on 29 May 2014 05:12 PM
    To marka and kylini.

I desperately would like to see that wording in the SCCA Solo rulebook. I will not name names, but the people that stridently deny this concept being the default is amazing. THAT said, the Solo Rule book should be comprehensively re-written to remove potentially conflicting rules, subjective/ambiguous verbiage, and state what IS allowed and NOT allowed.

It needs to be clearer than this?

13.1 AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS
    If a modification is not specifically authorized in this or previous Sections of these Rules, it is not allowed.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner